Should we cut off funding to Egypt and Libya?

Should we cut funding to Egypt and Libya?

• Total voters
No, just a year ago Libya was a state sponsors of terrorism. Now, despite this recent action by terrorists, they appear to be on our side.

In light of the recent attacks, should we cut off funding to those nations?

Libya, no. So far it appears the government in Libya plans to cooperate to hunt down those responsible and we have footage of the average citizens trying to get the ambassador to the hospital, where he was found. Cutting off funding would only undo any progress Libya has made.

Egypt is... troubling. I hear some good news out of Egypt, and plenty of bad. I honestly don't know what will happen in the long run there. I'd cautiously keep supporting the new Egyptian government, but they do bear watching.

In light of the recent attacks, should we cut off funding to those nations?

Libya, no. So far it appears the government in Libya plans to cooperate to hunt down those responsible and we have footage of the average citizens trying to get the ambassador to the hospital, where he was found. Cutting off funding would only undo any progress Libya has made.

Egypt is... troubling. I hear some good news out of Egypt, and plenty of bad. I honestly don't know what will happen in the long run there. I'd cautiously keep supporting the new Egyptian government, but they do bear watching.

As of now the Egyptian government is cooperating with us.

Talk about your knee jerk recationary threads, Lybia has already condemned attecks and have vowed to help the USA find the terrorists.

Libyan ambassador condemns attacks on US Consulate in Benghazi

Read more: Libyan ambassador condemns attacks on US Consulate in Benghazi | Fox News

More than likely because he his afraid of loosing US aid money.

More likely because he was lying in the first place. The muslim brotherhood is in charge in Libya.

Politicians!!!!!!

U.S. Embassy in Yemen stormed; other embassies still under siege

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/middle_east/2012/09/13/ad65ce7e-fd9b-11e1-a31e-804fccb658f9_story.html?wprss=rss_world

Thursday, September 13, 2012

In Yemen on Thursday, witnesses said security forces allowed thousands to gather on a usually-sealed-off street that is in front of the embassy. Protesters stormed a wall, set fire to a building inside the compound, broke windows and carried away office supplies and other souvenirs before being pushed back and dispersed by Yemeni security forces.

“We want to expel the American ambassador,” said Abdelwadood al-Mutawa, a protester who was walking out of the embassy compound. He said he was motivated by reports of the movie mocking Muhammad, even though it was not made by, sanctioned by or connected to the U.S. government.

“We cannot accept any insult to our prophet,” Mutawa said. “It’s a red line.”

Another protester said that some of the security forces protecting the building appeared sympathetic to the demonstrators’ cause.
“Some soldiers were telling me, ‘These are dogs, and we cannot accept insulting our prophet,’ ” said Yusef Mohammad.

----

U.S. Embassy in Germany evacuated

http://www.actionnewsjax.com/content/topstories/story/U-S-Embassy-in-Germany-evacuated/2-dg4iPEg0OzpaQ019C1Hg.cspx?rss=3568

Thursday, September 13, 2012

BERLIN (AP) -- The U.S. Embassy says its consulate in Berlin has been evacuated as a precaution after an employee reported a strange smell from an envelope.

Spokeswoman Ruth Bennett said the smell came from an envelope containing supporting materials for a visa application given to consular employees by the applicant in person Thursday morning.

There were no reports of injuries and American and German authorities are now examining the contents of the applicant.

Bennett says she has no immediate information on the status of the person who brought the envelope in.

Add Israel to that list.

Yeah, those damn Jews. Attacking U.S. diplomats, killing U.S. civilians, lopping off the heads of U.S. citizens. Crashing planes into skyscrapers.

To hell with Israel. Let the Islamo-terrorists have their way with those dirty Jews!

:mad:

You do realize they have an active espionage program in the US and have attacked US warships before, right?

I'm not in favor of cutting off their aid, but folks seem to make a mistake thinking Israel always has the USA's back. They don't. They're motivated by self interest and have committed a few acts of war against the USA themselves.

The emotional response would be "yes".

The clear headed response would be "no".

But that all depends on what one is looking for..I suppose. Geopolitically, it's important to foster stable governments in both those countries. And the use of "soft" influence to guide them is a much better way to do it.

We've gone done the road of "hard" influence..and it created the mess we now have to deal with..

Add Israel to that list.

Yeah, those damn Jews. Attacking U.S. diplomats, killing U.S. civilians, lopping off the heads of U.S. citizens. Crashing planes into skyscrapers.

To hell with Israel. Let the Islamo-terrorists have their way with those dirty Jews!

:mad:

You do realize they have an active espionage program in the US and have attacked US warships before, right?

I'm not in favor of cutting off their aid, but folks seem to make a mistake thinking Israel always has the USA's back. They don't. They're motivated by self interest and have committed a few acts of war against the USA themselves.

It's funny conservatives draw a blank on this.

The only guy the Israelis killed during the illegal attack on a Turkish flagged ship in international waters was an American.

Most conservatives feel more patriotism toward Israel then they do toward this country.

The emotional response would be "yes".

The clear headed response would be "no".

But that all depends on what one is looking for..I suppose. Geopolitically, it's important to foster stable governments in both those countries. And the use of "soft" influence to guide them is a much better way to do it.

We've gone done the road of "hard" influence..and it created the mess we now have to deal with..

That, and in addition if you pulled all funding, as some here have suggested, the era of US global influence ends fast. China would almost certainly swoop in and fill the vacuum a complete cut off of US funds would create.

Anyone who thinks that wouldn't have an effect here at home is, respectfully, an idiot.

It's funny conservatives draw a blank on this.

The only guy the Israelis killed during the illegal attack on a Turkish flagged ship in international waters was an American.

Most conservatives feel more patriotism toward Israel then they do toward this country.
It's the book of Revelation. Pure and simple.

Remove Israel's religious significance and the support for them would dry up overnight. I'd personally still support them as they do have strategic value to the USA, but it is a mistake to think that Israel isn't a threat to the USA. They are. Sovereign nations must act in their own best interest, and that rarely is the same as ours.

Conservatives, a little more specific NEOCONS do put Israel first and would vote for Benjamin Netanyahu over both Obama and Romney if they were able.

Forum List

Back