Should we change the way unemployment is measured

ihopehefails

VIP Member
Oct 3, 2009
Should we count unemployment just as the percentage of people who are eligable to work but not working this way we can avoid the government playing with the numbers? I can live with an unemployment number measured this way vs unemployment measured the current way because at least then we get an accurate picture of people not working. It allows us to gage the job market and economic strength more accurately.

What do you do with people like me? I am 52 and permanently retired. Now in my case it is a known fact as I receive disability from SS and VA. But there are others that are retired at young age or that simply have no reason to work or no intent of working?

What do you do with people like me? I am 52 and permanently retired. Now in my case it is a known fact as I receive disability from SS and VA. But there are others that are retired at young age or that simply have no reason to work or no intent of working?
That means you don't meet the eligibility requirements of his post.

It is hard to measure intent and satisfaction with your current job.

Have you stopped looking because you are frustrated or because you are satisfied being unemployed?
Is a woman who leaves to raise her kids unemployed?
If you work part time are you unemployed?
If you took a lower paying job are you unemployed?

Have you stopped looking because you are frustrated or because you are satisfied being unemployed?

Unemployed = Not working

For the purpose of definition, the reason why someone is not working is immaterial.

You count every head that is not working but is physically able to work.

Unemployed = Not working

For the purpose of definition, the reason why someone is not working is immaterial.

You just included every parent that CHOOSES not to work to raise the kids. They are not Unemployed. That is just one category.

Unemployed = Not working

You just included every parent that CHOOSES not to work to raise the kids. They are not Unemployed. That is just one category.
But they are unemployed. Why they are unemployed doesn't matter. They are eligible to be employed.

This is the problem with these kinds of discussions.

Do you count them based upon literal interpretation or based upon who wants to work and who doesn't?

You'll get as many answers as there are people.

To Me, unless you are disqualified from working, you get counted.

Unemployed = Not working

But they are unemployed. Why they are unemployed doesn't matter. They are eligible to be employed.

This is the problem with these kinds of discussions.

Do you count them based upon literal interpretation or based upon who wants to work and who doesn't?

You'll get as many answers as there are people.

To Me, unless you are disqualified from working, you get counted.

Mothers= unemployed
Retired= unemployed
16 year olds= unemployed
Mentally challenged= unemployed
college students= unemployed

Unemployed = Not working

Why? What does that tell you about how easy or hard it is to find or keep work? Month to month changes would be negligable, so your definition really isn't much use, which is why nobody has ever used it.

Should we count unemployment just as the percentage of people who are eligable to work but not working this way we can avoid the government playing with the numbers? I can live with an unemployment number measured this way vs unemployment measured the current way because at least then we get an accurate picture of people not working. It allows us to gage the job market and economic strength more accurately.

Well, your first problem is "eligible to work." How do you define it objectively? Is a person who could afford daycare or has family members who could look after the children but chooses to stay home and look after the kids eligible to work or not? Is a high school or college student who could get a part-time job but doesn't need or doesn't want one eligible to work or not?

And why do you think including people who are not participating in the job market and do not wish to would allow us to gauge the job market better?

The basic definition, which hasn't changed much at all since 1941, is that unemployed are those who are trying to work and aren't. It's the one almost every country in the world that measures unemployment uses. Why do you think that is?

Forum List

Back