Should we be afraid of Death?

Life gets so much better when you remind yourself of your own mortality. Forget reminding yourself of the death that is to come, EMBRACE IT.

I've already determined that I will only live for another 22 years (48 was the age my uncle died at). I will end my life after that. I plan on doing so much between now and then. Upon completing law school shortly here, I plan to article for a short time and pass the bar (of course).....but beyond that? I am already thinking about the various careers I can pursue- from Accounting, Finance, Sales/Marketing, Medicine, Software Engineering, etc. In addition to that, just travel and meet as many new faces as humanly possible. Live life to the fullest and then dip out.

No family, no strings attached, no commitments or obligations tethering you to anywhere.

Life gets so much better when you remind yourself of your own mortality. Forget reminding yourself of the death that is to come, EMBRACE IT.

I've already determined that I will only live for another 22 years (48 was the age my uncle died at). I will end my life after that. I plan on doing so much between now and then. Upon completing law school shortly here, I plan to article for a short time and pass the bar (of course).....but beyond that? I am already thinking about the various careers I can pursue- from Accounting, Finance, Sales/Marketing, Medicine, Software Engineering, etc. In addition to that, just travel and meet as many new faces as humanly possible. Live life to the fullest and then dip out.

No family, no strings attached, no commitments or obligations tethering you to anywhere.

Yet you might die before the age of 30.

In his influential paper of 1970, tersely entitled Death, the great philosopher Thomas Nagel asks the question: if death is the permanent end of our existence, is it an evil? Either it is an evil because it deprives us of life, or it is a mere blank because there is no subject left to experience the loss. Thus, if death is an evil, this is not in virtue of any positive attributes that it has, but in virtue of what it deprives us from, namely, life. For Nagel, the bare experience of life is intrinsically valuable, regardless of the balance of its good and bad elements.

The longer one is alive, the more one ‘accumulates' life. In contrast, death cannot be accumulated—it is not, as Nagel puts it, ‘an evil of which Shakespeare has so far received a larger portion than Proust'. Most people would not consider the temporary suspension of life as an evil, nor would they regard the long period of time before they were born as an evil. Therefore, if death is an evil, this is not because it involves a period of non-existence, but because it deprives us of life.

Should We Be Afraid of Death?
According to the bible Jesus said "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."
In your opinion:
Is physically killing a human always a sin?
Is the old testament obsolete?
Does everyone and everything become symbolic and/or a metaphor?
Is it to do with facing hell?

It will just be like it was before we were born.
And that wasn’t so bad, was it?
:eusa_think:

Elaborate please. Not sure where you're going with this.
I mean we weren’t self aware before we were conceived, and that’s how it will be when we are dead - imho.

If one believes that we all have an immortal soul, then it does exist prior to our conception and continues to exist after our physical death. Not sure we can know for certain if our soul is or is not self aware, some people believe our soul has already picked out the life we are about to live before we are born.
If God is eternal and knew the future from forever in the past then your soul is eternal in a way like a story. Does god want to keep that book in his library or throw it on the fire? What is stopping him from doing one or the other? It seems like your end would be a limiting factor.

Forum List

Back