CDZ Should we ban street racing cars?

Illegal street racing is a problem in some cities......you get these young people in suped up cars racing down actual public streets, inspired by movies like "The Fast and Furious."

In order to keep people safe, we need to make sure that street racing cars, like the Toyota Camry, are banned for civilians...no one needs a street racing car like a Toyota Camry.....

Good topic.

It is a problem. right now we have limits on cars somewhat similar to guns. My old school 14 second OLD Mustang has no problem being street legal. My buddy's twin turbo LT1 (no opti spark anymore lol) Camaro has a full cage and is getting oretty borderline.

There is open debate about what a car needs to be "street legal" and generally the racers are a pretty tame group with regulations unlike the NRA types. I think imposing a similar system of regulations on guns would end up with "fine, if you own am AR-15 come register it. Also every two years or when ownership changes hands bring it in so we can inspect it for illegal modifications."

A select few habitual drunk types can't operate a vehicle legally.....not sure if I ever heard of restrictions on owning one.

Registering guns achieves nothing.....except allow for those guns to be confiscated. That is a non starter.....we know from history that registration is the first step in confiscation....Germany, Britain, Australia, New York, Chicago, California, Canada.......registered guns, confiscated guns......

No one except really loony lefties want to confiscate cars......the leadership of the democrat party, want to confiscate guns...and as we heard at the CNN town hall....they want to confiscate all semi auto weapons...that would include pistols and revolvers.....

I'm split on the registration. You could get me to skip it.
-Give bump stocks and the other, better, trigger aids the same regulations as fully automatic rifles.
-Help me come to some decision on what non-convicted felon mentally ill people should not be able to own a gun. This is going to miss the mark A LOT but prevent some school shootings.
-Give each school a real resource officer. Sure its gonna be higher taxes but apparently this is where we are as a society. The village is gonna have to raise their kids better or pay for all the time sent sitting in front of the internet not helping out.
-Give private sales the same regulations as dealer sales. God created us equal, lets level the field. Tell the cops or gun stores or whoever they have to do the private background checks for free.

I'd be thrilled to see if we had any positive effects after 8 years.

I think the car analogies miss the mark really. Every two years my car gets inspected for illegal modifications or lack of maintenance. My shotgun? No one ever makes me bring it in to check how short a barrel I have now.

Also, maybe because its a mass shooting things hit the news, but funny how when white kids die stuff gets talked about. You should bring that up a bit more if I haven't missed you mentioning it.

Illegal street racing is a problem in some cities......you get these young people in suped up cars racing down actual public streets, inspired by movies like "The Fast and Furious."

In order to keep people safe, we need to make sure that street racing cars, like the Toyota Camry, are banned for civilians...no one needs a street racing car like a Toyota Camry.....

How many teenagers die in car accidents? How many from texting while driving?

Raise the driving age and the age to possess a cell phone to 21.

But the problem isn't the cell phone, it's the not concentrating while driving.

The UK has a driving fatality rate nearly 1/4 of the US rate, similar to the difference between murder rates of the two countries.

The UK actually deals with the problems, the US doesn't bother.

No.....as more Americans own and carry guns, our gun crime rates have gone down. Britain banned and confiscted guns and their crime rates are going up.....

The U.S.

We went from 200 million guns in private hands in the 1990s and 4.7 million people carrying guns for self defense in 1997...to close to 400-600 million guns in private hands and over 17 million people carrying guns for self defense in 2017...guess what happened...
-- gun murder down 49%

--gun crime down 75%

--violent crime down 72%

Gun Homicide Rate Down 49% Since 1993 Peak; Public Unaware

Compared with 1993, the peak of U.S. gun homicides, the firearm homicide rate was 49% lower in 2010, and there were fewer deaths, even though the nation’s population grew. The victimization rate for other violent crimes with a firearm—assaults, robberies and sex crimes—was 75% lower in 2011 than in 1993. Violent non-fatal crime victimization overall (with or without a firearm) also is down markedly (72%) over two decades.

Britain...

Culture of violence: Gun crime goes up by 89% in a decade | Daily Mail Online

The latest Government figures show that the total number of firearm offences in England and Wales has increased from 5,209 in 1998/99 to 9,865 last year - a rise of 89 per cent.

The number of people injured or killed by guns, excluding air weapons, has increased from 864 in 1998/99 to a provisional figure of 1,760 in 2008/09, an increase of 104 per cent .

========

Crime rise is biggest in a decade, ONS figures show

Ministers will also be concerned that the country is becoming increasingly violent in nature, with gun crime rising 23% to 6,375 offences, largely driven by an increase in the use of handguns.

=========

Gun crime in London increases by 42% - BBC News

Gun crime offences in London surged by 42% in the last year, according to official statistics.

Top trauma surgeon reveals shocking extent of London’s gun crime

A leading trauma surgeon has told how the number of patients treated for gunshot injuries at a major London hospital has doubled in the last five years.

----

He said the hospital’s major trauma centre had seen a bigger rise in gunshot injuries compared to knife wounds and that the average age of victims was getting younger.

-----

Last year, gun crime offences in London increased for a third year running and by 42 per cent, from 1,793 offences in 2015/16 to 2,544 offences in 2016/17. Police have seized 635 guns off the streets so far this year.

Dr Griffiths, who also teaches medical students, said: “Our numbers of victims of gun injury have doubled [since 2012]. Gunshot injuries represent about 2.5 per cent of our penetrating trauma.

-----

Dr Griffiths said the average age of gun crime victims needing treatment at the hospital had decreased from 25 to the mid to late teens since 2012.

He added that medics at the Barts Health hospital’s major trauma centre in Whitechapel had seen a bigger rise in patients with gun injuries rather than knife wounds and that most were caused by pistols or shotguns.

Met Police commander Jim Stokley, who was also invited to speak at the meeting, said that handguns and shotguns were the weapons of choice and that 46 per cent of London’s gun crime discharges were gang-related.

He said: “We believe that a lot of it is associated with the drugs trade, and by that I mean people dealing drugs at street level and disagreements between different gangs.”

Violent crime on the rise in every corner of the country, figures suggest

But analysis of the figures force by force, showed the full extent of the problem, with only one constabulary, Nottinghamshire, recording a reduction in violent offences.

The vast majority of police forces actually witnessed double digit rises in violent crime, with Northumbria posting a 95 per cent increase year on year.

Of the other forces, Durham Police recorded a 73 per cent rise; West Yorkshire was up 48 per cent; Avon and Somerset 45 per cent; Dorset 39 per cent and Warwickshire 37 per cent.

Elsewhere Humberside, South Yorkshire, Staffordshire, Essex, Hertfordshire, Kent, Wiltshire and Dyfed Powys all saw violence rise by more than a quarter year on year.

I know this might seem hard for you to understand, but crime rates go up and down all the time.

Violent-Crime-Rate-Chart1.png

Not to mention, percentages are weighted when it comes to gun crime rates in Britain because when the original stat that is being used to compare to new ones is very low, then it is going to skew the numbers.

If Britain had 5 mass shootings in 2016, and then had 10 in 2017 you are talking about a 100% increase, but if you have 50 mass shootings in the U.S. in 2016 and then have 55 in 2017, the same increase of 5 more, you end up with only 10% increase, which is half of Britain's, despite them both increasing by the same amount. So are you still going to argue that the 20% increase is larger?

Now...as mass public shootings go....can you explain which British gun control law stopped this guy, with a gun, from murdering all of these children?

Gunman' walks into Liverpool nursery school as children were playing inside

Police have sealed off a children's nursery in Liverpool amid reports a gunman walked into the building while youngsters were inside.

Officers were called to Childs Play Nursery in Wavertree, Merseyside, at around 8am this morning.

The man, who is believed to have been carrying what looked like a firearm, walked into the nursery and approached another man.

He then left with a second man on the back of a motorbike.

Logic failure. Just because ALL gun violence isn't stopped doesn't mean give up.

For my crystal ball says there was once a guy in England who couldn't get a gun so he went into a school with a knife and killed fewer people than he would have if he had an AR-15 (or a better choices of a weapon).

Forum List

Back