Should we ban marriages for abusers?

Gadawg73

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2009
Georgia
If someone is convicted of any form of abuse should we pass laws that they can never marry?
Should the government have the power to ban child abusers from marriage?
How come this is not law now and how come "family values" candidates do not offer this?
Shouldn't we protect the sanctity of marriage?

I would never want to give our government that kind of power. I think if someone is in jail for abuse of any sort, they need to stay there until they are rehabilitated or until their sentence runs out. After this, they need to serve their parole and meet other requirements if a sexual abuse excon, but to tell them they no longer can marry seems unrelated, and an additional punishment for the crime that a jury or judge does not get to determine?

I would never want to give our government that kind of power. I think if someone is in jail for abuse of any sort, they need to stay there until they are rehabilitated or until their sentence runs out. After this, they need to serve their parole and meet other requirements if a sexual abuse excon, but to tell them they no longer can marry seems unrelated, and an additional punishment for the crime that a jury or judge does not get to determine?

Plus what stops them from co-habitating?

Nothing at all!?

Nothing at all!?

exactly, thats why the law would be a bad idea.

The only thing that will stop domestic abuse is educating men that it is wrong to do it, and educating women to realize any guy that does it is an asshole and has to be left immidiately.

Nothing at all!?

The only thing that will stop domestic abuse is educating men that it is wrong to do it, and educating women to realize any guy that does it is an asshole and has to be left immidiately.

So keeping government out of marriage other than issuing a license is the way to go?

Nothing at all!?

So keeping government out of marriage other than issuing a license is the way to go?

Pretty much. The only reason government should be involved at all is for tax purposes.

Two consenting adults. That should be the only requirement for marriage as far as the state is concerned.

Pretty much. The only reason government should be involved at all is for tax purposes.

Two consenting adults. That should be the only requirement for marriage as far as the state is concerned.

I'm back and forth over whether the State should be involved in marriage at all. If not for the property issues it would be a definite NO.

As a strict conservative I agree.

I'm back and forth over whether the State should be involved in marriage at all. If not for the property issues it would be a definite NO.

Property, taxes and settling disputes when a split occurs.

Who cares what dangly bits they have as long as both consent and are of age.

Damn morally social "conservative" engineers are ruining conservatism.

Property, taxes and settling disputes when a split occurs.

Who cares what dangly bits they have as long as both consent and are of age.

Damn morally social "conservative" engineers are ruining conservatism.

It's not just conservatives who agree with that idea. ;)

But you're right.

Sure, let's just let the government have at it, on every part of life. That would be too cool, then I would not have to make any decisions whatsover :eusa_dance:

Yes. For the sake for the other parties, they should be ban. Unless they turn over a new leaf, they will live single for the rest of their life.

If someone is convicted of any form of abuse should we pass laws that they can never marry?
Should the government have the power to ban child abusers from marriage?
How come this is not law now and how come "family values" candidates do not offer this?
Shouldn't we protect the sanctity of marriage?

How would that help?

Most abusers aren't married to their victims.

Nothing at all!?

Why do you need a license? are you marrying the Government or a spouse?

The license thing is only a lousy tax.

Forum List

Back