Should we as a country, THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

Zoom

Rookie
Nov 14, 2011
be embarrassed by our past slavery days? Looking back on those times, isn't it a little embarrassing as a nation?

I am not saying we should apologize to anyone, I am talking about being embarrassed about what happened HERE. (I dont care about other nations right now, this is about the USA).

We cant look back at those days and be proud. Can we?

be embarrassed by our past slavery days? No. It was common in those days. Looking back on those times, isn't it a little embarrassing as a nation? No.

I am not saying we should apologize to anyone, I am talking about being embarrassed about what happened HERE. (I dont care about other nations right now, this is about the USA).

We cant look back at those days and be proud. Can we? We created the first republic, beat the most powerful nation on earth, gave rights to all men, sans slaves, and we were copied around the world. Only a fool looks at just slavery and claims we should be embarrassed.

be embarrassed by our past slavery days? Looking back on those times, isn't it a little embarrassing as a nation?

Africans should be even more ashamed of enslaving and then selling their own people to us !!!

Every country has its bad moments. It should be faced as it was. Feelings about it are useless. Understanding what went on, how it affected the politics of the time and the costs of ending it are useful studies.

You don't emote over things. You learn from them and then study how not to be stupid in the future.

Far more useful would be to get a good understanding of what went wrong with the Japanese internment, and make sure that never happens again.

what happened was back then, how bout you try living in the here and now
are you people EVER proud of this country?

Every country has its bad moments. It should be faced as it was. Feelings about it are useless. Understanding what went on, how it affected the politics of the time and the costs of ending it are useful studies.

You don't emote over things. You learn from them and then study how not to be stupid in the future.

Far more useful would be to get a good understanding of what went wrong with the Japanese internment, and make sure that never happens again.

THAT is absolutely the biggest stain on our country.

We were a modern society and we rounded up the undesirables.

no. we weren't there. we weren't part of it. and a lot of places had some pretty ugly things in their past.... and far more recently than we had slavery.

it's what you do with what you learn from your past that matters.

no. we weren't there. we weren't part of it. and a lot of places had some pretty ugly things in their past.... and far more recently than we had slavery.

:clap2:
well my friend jilly...we can agree on something...

had to happen sometime. :D

Africans should be even more ashamed of enslaving and then selling their own people to us !!!

^^^^^^^^

what we really should be embarrassed by

had to happen sometime. :D

it only took seven years, but hey, it's a start..:tongue:
all joking aside, you were right on.

Japanese internment. Hmm. We learned so much from that. Ask any Muslim living in America post 9/11. Remember how they were treated back then?

So, in hind site, Slavery is not something this country should be ashamed of?

Japanese internment. Hmm. We learned so much from that. Ask any Muslim living in America post 9/11. Remember how they were treated back then?

Just how were they treated.? since you seem to have the pulse on the Muslims living in this country
if you're so embarrassed of this country, why do you stay?

Last edited:
So, in hind site, Slavery is not something this country should be ashamed of?

Your talking emotionalist cop out. It happened. No one is alive from back then. No one is arguing we should return there.

Being weird and emotional does not help any of the folks who were there at the time.

And why should Jillian, for example, be ashamed. At the time this was going on all her family were probably in Russia in conditions as bad or worse. She had nothing to do with it.

Why should I feel ashamed? Most of my relatives who were alive at the time (except the ones who were living in England and Germany at the time) were in Sherman's army fighting to end it.

The point to history is to study why things happend, to make sure bad things don't happen in the future because of us. Those are active things we need to take charge of. But being emotional about it is pointless.

I am sure relatives of mine who lived in Germany back in the 1630s did horrible things when they were soldiers during the 30 years war. I am not going to emote about it. It does nothing positive.

What matters are what are you doing today to preserve freedom, to protect democracy, to insure that all of us can prosper together. If you feel that muslim americans are being persecuted it is your obligation to protect them, not to whine about long dead folks who would not appreciate your pointless and crocodile unproductive sympathy.

Agreed, I've made many mistakes, embarassed myself too often; I take responsibility for what I've said or done, but I won't for someone else's wrongdoings. Hopefully we learn to do better as individuals and as a society.

Forum List

Back