Should we abolish the capital gains tax?

I should correct myself in saying that i worded it wrong on 50% of America invested in 401ks in the stock market, it should be.... the investers in more than 50% of the stock market are investors that hold their investment, within a 401k.
Thank you, Care. I'm embarrassed to admit that I didn't look at it like that. It certainly puts the kibosh on the tired line Valarie parroted above, that making capital gains tax the same as all other income taxes would discourage investors.

Bamboozled again by the right wing spin machine.

Not exactly, Ravi. :doubt:

I think for myself and I'm not "right wing". You seem to be bamboozled by the idea that all things in America are either right or left. I know it's easier to just label people, but things tend to be more complicated than that. BTW, there are different types of capital gains to consider besides the stock market. The issue is trying to find the proper balance, not pointing fingers at investors.

I found some good info about capital gains rates here:

Capital gains tax rates -- how to know which capital gain rate you will pay (Page 1 of 2)

More rate changes to come?
Both the 15 percent and zero percent rates are scheduled to be in effect only through 2010. If Congress does not extend them, the rates will return to the prior 20 percent and 10 percent levels.

Given the economy and the new political makeup in Washington, D.C., it is not clear how lawmakers will deal with the lower capital gains rates. They could let them run their course and expire at the end of 2010. But they also could decide to end both rates early or keep just one lower rate but not the other.

With Congress continually tweaking investment tax laws, what's an investor to do? Most financial experts say to take advantage of today's lower rates while they are around and when they fit into your portfolio plans.

But don't forget about the ultimate Dec. 31, 2010, deadline. And definitely keep an eye on federal tax-law writers in the interim.
LOL, a bit sensitive are you? I wasn't calling you right wing, I was including you among the bamboozled.

:lol:

If I ever feel the need to insult you, I'll know what to do...:)

Thank you, Care. I'm embarrassed to admit that I didn't look at it like that. It certainly puts the kibosh on the tired line Valarie parroted above, that making capital gains tax the same as all other income taxes would discourage investors.

Bamboozled again by the right wing spin machine.

I think for myself and I'm not "right wing". You seem to be bamboozled by the idea that all things in America are either right or left. I know it's easier to just label people, but things tend to be more complicated than that. BTW, there are different types of capital gains to consider besides the stock market. The issue is trying to find the proper balance, not pointing fingers at investors.

Capital gains tax rates -- how to know which capital gain rate you will pay (Page 1 of 2)

More rate changes to come?
Both the 15 percent and zero percent rates are scheduled to be in effect only through 2010. If Congress does not extend them, the rates will return to the prior 20 percent and 10 percent levels.

Given the economy and the new political makeup in Washington, D.C., it is not clear how lawmakers will deal with the lower capital gains rates. They could let them run their course and expire at the end of 2010. But they also could decide to end both rates early or keep just one lower rate but not the other.

With Congress continually tweaking investment tax laws, what's an investor to do? Most financial experts say to take advantage of today's lower rates while they are around and when they fit into your portfolio plans.

But don't forget about the ultimate Dec. 31, 2010, deadline. And definitely keep an eye on federal tax-law writers in the interim.
LOL, a bit sensitive are you? I wasn't calling you right wing, I was including you among the bamboozled.

You can call me bamboozled, but don't you dare call me Republican! :razz:

Seriously, it is tiresome that every time an individual has an idea or opinion, someone tries to label it left or right. I understand you're saying that wasn't your intention, but while we're on the subject, I think this type of thinking as perpetuated by the media, is a big part of what allows politicians to get away with bamboozling all of us, in the manner Care was referring to above.

Seriously, it is tiresome that every time an individual has an idea or opinion, someone tries to label it left or right. I understand you're saying that wasn't your intention, but while we're on the subject, I think this type of thinking as perpetuated by the media, is a big part of what allows politicians to get away with bamboozling all of us, in the manner Care was referring to above.
True, I usually find the liberal media is the root of all evil. :eusa_whistle:

True, I usually find the liberal media is the root of all evil. :eusa_whistle:

Where'd you hear that, Fox News??? :rofl:

Well screw itm then.

As long as we demanding an end to capital gains taxes as a reward for taking a risk with your precious money, why not demand an end to taxing labor as a reward for giving up the hours of your short pathetically miserable little lives?

Risking money? What's that compared to the guanteed lose of your freedom that work demands you accept?

Hey! Maybe I've got potential as a libertarian, after all.

In our tax free Libertopia, we should also all go naked so they're be no wars, hence we'd need no armies.

Whatya think?

Is my version of Libertopian something, or what?

Why do you people who might disagree with my brilliant plan, so hate freedom, anyway?

What are you slaves or something?

Liberal capital AND labor from the burden of taxations says I.

And no clothes either so they'll be no costly wars!

Last edited:

Forum List

Back