Should volunteer cops be allowed to carry guns?

No they don't New York case I believe. Person sued cause cops just stood and watched some psycho attacking people with a knife.

I didn't hear about that. Got a link? Not that I doubt you. It wouldn't surprise me at all given how fucked up the judicial system is. I am just interested in reading that story.
gothamist.com/2013/07/28/subway_stabbing_victim_im_devastate.php

Here's the court decision. Wow......that's fucking insane.

http://decisions.courts.state.ny.us/fcas/fcas_docs/2013JUL/3001010882012002SCIV.pdf

Wait...Huh? WTF?

After the shooting of an unarmed black man in Tulsa where the VOLUNTEER DEPUTY thought he'd reached for his taser, fatally shot him because he didn't realize that he'd actually pulled his 357 out.

Now.................volunteer deputies don't get paid, they just get to run around and act like cops. They don't get as much training, and in most cases are there under a support role.

Since they are support only, and real trained cops are at the forefront of the operations, why do volunteer cops need to have a gun? Shouldn't a taser be enough, because like I said, they're there in a support role only with the real cops leading the charge, meaning that they're off in the background to help if necessary.

After this incident, and understanding that many times it is possible to BUY YOUR WAY ONTO THE POLICE FORCE with enough donations (like this Tulsa volunteer did), I say that the volunteers be given tasers only.

If deadly force needs to be used, let the actual trained professionals handle it.

What the fuck is a volunteer cop? smh

You know..........for a volunteer cop, I'd be willing to say that they can carry a tazer, because they may need to stop someone.

But no guns.

And........in the latest twist on this story, it turns out that the dude wasn't qualified to be carrying weapons, nor did he have the REQUIRED amount of training.

If we quit beating around the bush we can figure out what the deal was about. The reserve deputy was what we used to call a "cop buff". Most of the time law enforcement ignores cop buffs or humors these people and maybe gives them a job where they will be no danger to the public. In this case the guy was a heavy contributor to the sheriff department (and probably the sheriff's campaign) and the sheriff made a terrible mistake by allowing him to participate in a potentially dangerous police operation. The sheriff should face charges for allowing an untrained civilian to pretend to be Dirty Harry.

Cops don't have a duty to protect you.
It is the duty of sworn police and peace officers to enforce all laws -- especially those law which protect persons and property. While a police officer is not required to jump into deep water or run into a burning building to save someone, he/she is obliged by oath to enforce law(s) that prohibit one person from harming another.

I'm not aware of any provision removing a sworn officer's duty to enforce a law because of choice or personal risk. If there are such provisions I would appreciate being educated about them.

Last edited:
Cops don't have a duty to protect you.
It is the duty of sworn police and peace officers to enforce all laws -- especially those law which protect persons and property. While a police officer is not required to jump into deep water or run into a burning building to save someone, he/she is obliged by oath to enforce law(s) that prohibit one person from harming another.

I'm not aware of any provision removing a sworn officer's duty to enforce a law because of choice or personal risk. If there are such provisions I would appreciate being educated about them.

Read the links I exchanged with Manonthestreet above. Court decision. Judge ruled that the police do not have a duty to protect a citizen from being attacked. Crazy shit, right there. I posted the judge's ruling

Like I said before................you can buy your way into a political office, why shouldn't you be able to buy your way into a civic one?

We've got the best government that money can buy, and apparently that involves police enforcement as well.

Read the links I exchanged with Manonthestreet above. Court decision. Judge ruled that the police do not have a duty to protect a citizen from being attacked. Crazy shit, right there. I posted the judge's ruling
Crazy is right. It is overtly contradictory. But a ruling is a ruling and until it is successfully challenged it stands.

Here's the link to the story.....

Tulsa reserve deputy charged with manslaughter

I say that volunteer cops only need tasers.

If they want to be real cops, let them go through the academy.
Bates was a real cop for one year (1964 / 1965) but wasn't satisfied with the pay. So he quit and went into the insurance business -- where he made enough money to satisfy his authoritarian inclination via indirect bribery.

In a televised comment Bates said, "I want to apologize to Eric Harris's family for the second worst thing that ever happened to me."

("Me!")

After the shooting of an unarmed black man in Tulsa where the VOLUNTEER DEPUTY thought he'd reached for his taser, fatally shot him because he didn't realize that he'd actually pulled his 357 out.

Now.................volunteer deputies don't get paid, they just get to run around and act like cops. They don't get as much training, and in most cases are there under a support role.

Since they are support only, and real trained cops are at the forefront of the operations, why do volunteer cops need to have a gun? Shouldn't a taser be enough, because like I said, they're there in a support role only with the real cops leading the charge, meaning that they're off in the background to help if necessary.

After this incident, and understanding that many times it is possible to BUY YOUR WAY ONTO THE POLICE FORCE with enough donations (like this Tulsa volunteer did), I say that the volunteers be given tasers only.

If deadly force needs to be used, let the actual trained professionals handle it.
I believe local militia would be more necessary and more proper use of the police power.

A well regulated militia has nothing to do with anything. Someone who is not qualified has no business on a police force.

Actually, check out his age, and then compare it to the mandatory retirement age for cops.

He never should have been out there.

At the minimum, he should be charged with manslaughter.

New Topics

Forum List

Back