Should US public schools demonstrate more American patriotism?

Our PUBLIC SCHOOL has a flag outside, a flag in every room, and the entire school is led in the pledge every morning.

Same at my daughter's PUBLIC SCHOOL.

If someone doesn't want to say the pledge, they don't have to either.

Questions?

Good for them. That is a great start. However, that teaches them nothing if there is no curriculum behind it, or active promotion of it.

No questions.

Our Social Studies classes teach all about the history of the flag, from the first one on down the line to our present one.

Maybe you should visit some public schools to see what they do, I bet it would be eye opening for you. Teachers and students DO have pride in their country, isn't that great?

So, my question is, What is wrong? Why is it that the students do not know these thnings when they are in High school? I submit to you that we do not have partiotic Americans who care enough to get excited about teaching these things. Last year while I was teaching American Government, I got very excited and into it. I taught it as if it were alive today, and happening today. I suppose that is too much work for our teachers. : (

Good for them. That is a great start. However, that teaches them nothing if there is no curriculum behind it, or active promotion of it.

No questions.

:confused:

American History, American Government, American Geography, Civics, Problems of Democracy.....?
I was thinking the same thing. I remember learning about US History in grade school, about the Revolution and Civil War during 8th grade, American Government my junior year, and 20th Century American History my sophmore year. It is also required to take Pacific Northwest History your freshman year. And I remember doing a few papers on a certain State and a few Presidents. I even remember my state was Michigan, and one of the Presidents was Herbert Hoover.
Plus I remember learning about the civil rights movement, and other important events in our history.
I am still wondering what more he wants?

In PA we had American history, basics of government and geography all through grade school of course. American History in both middle and high school. State history in middle school. Civics in 9th grade. American Government (including COTUS) in 11th. And in 12th was a class called Problems of Democracy, which was entirely the COTUS, Federalist papers and other supporting documents from the period. Those courses are still taught here along with 20th Century American history and of course the AP level American History and Government courses.

What's missing from the curriculum then? Teaching in-depth abstract Constitutional concepts to kindergarteners who are still pledging allegiance to "one nation underwear"? Or would you prefer Goose stepping 101?

No questions.

:confused:

American History, American Government, American Geography, Civics, Problems of Democracy.....?

You can read my previous post about that. Those textbooks are awesome, even though they may miss a point or two. However, I don't know what is actually being covered in them except what is needed on a standardized test. That rips the kids off.

Don't get me on my soapbox about the unintended consequences of NCLB. :evil:

We had a flag in front of our school, and one in every classroom. I also remember doing a few things during the Gulf War, I think we all had yellow ribbons. And we also of course learned about our country. What more do you want?

A nationalistic agenda, obviously. Which is very different from a sense of patriotism, and potentially dangerous. Think about what the "N" in NAZI stands for and you can see the potential pitfalls inherent there.

My article was not about a "Nationalistic agenda" at all. It was about a nation that is free at great cost, and a nation we should love and respect. It is about a nation where when we hear the National Anthem We stand in respectful silence, or proud singing. It is about a nation where you enter the military because you believe in what she stands for, and want to protect her freedom. It is about a nation that has always been respectable even when the world did not think so. We have helped more of the world than any other country, and are hated more than any other nation.

My article was not about politics. Politics is criminal, in my opinion. It was not about government as the dictator of our people, but about people who are the government, People who love and believe in this great nation.

Yes there is a difference, and...

No questions.

Our Social Studies classes teach all about the history of the flag, from the first one on down the line to our present one.

Maybe you should visit some public schools to see what they do, I bet it would be eye opening for you. Teachers and students DO have pride in their country, isn't that great?

So, my question is, What is wrong? Why is it that the students do not know these thnings when they are in High school? I submit to you that we do not have partiotic Americans who care enough to get excited about teaching these things. Last year while I was teaching American Government, I got very excited and into it. I taught it as if it were alive today, and happening today. I suppose that is too much work for our teachers. : (

You know what. With your attitude it's no wonder the kids weren't willing to get excited in your class about learning about American Government. Teachers have a HUGE impact on catching a student's interest in whatever subject they teach.

In 8th grade my daughter had an awful history teacher. He would be sarcastic and rude to the kids, and just used power points all the time. She was bored out of her mind and didn't try her best.

In 9th grade she had a GREAT teacher, who inflamed her passion for history, and she did so well in the class that teacher recommended her for AP History for this year, which she LOVES! She shows me her notebook of all the things she's learning, and says it's her favorite class.

Maybe you should rethink your teaching stratigies to get these students excited about learning, you'll do them, and yourself, a favor.

We had a flag in front of our school, and one in every classroom. I also remember doing a few things during the Gulf War, I think we all had yellow ribbons. And we also of course learned about our country. What more do you want?

A nationalistic agenda, obviously. Which is very different from a sense of patriotism, and potentially dangerous. Think about what the "N" in NAZI stands for and you can see the potential pitfalls inherent there.

My article was not about a "Nationalistic agenda" at all. It was about a nation that is free at great cost, and a nation we should love and respect. It is about a nation where when we hear the National Anthem We stand in respectful silence, or proud singing. It is about a nation where you enter the military because you believe in what she stands for, and want to protect her freedom. It is about a nation that has always been respectable even when the world did not think so. We have helped more of the world than any other country, and are hated more than any other nation.

My article was not about politics. Politics is criminal, in my opinion. It was not about government as the dictator of our people, but about people who are the government, People who love and believe in this great nation.

Yes there is a difference, and...

....and?

I am still wondering what more he wants?

Considering this is the same guy who said Barack Obama is a terrorist and that he's willing to join any revolution willing to overthrow him, I'd rather not find out.

I doubt you'd understand. I don't think you even know what Patriotism is. I doubt you have a patriotic nerve in your body. You are a nationalism person, like many here.

My daughter who is in the tenth grade is taking AP History and Bible Lit this semester, among her other core classes.

But of COURSE, according to Smart 33, students aren't being taught history, because that would make his OP invalid.

I did not say they were not being taught History in school. I was hoping the post would stir up a little love for country, and understanding that that idea needs to take more priority ion our schools than it does. Of course, you have to be able to think and read at the same time to figure that out. Sorry for complicating it for you.

Some religious people don't like the idea of a flag. They feel it is too close to bowing before a "false idol".

And where are the parents in this process?

You know what. With your attitude it's no wonder the kids weren't willing to get excited in your class about learning about American Government. Teachers have a HUGE impact on catching a student's interest in whatever subject they teach.

In 8th grade my daughter had an awful history teacher. He would be sarcastic and rude to the kids, and just used power points all the time. She was bored out of her mind and didn't try her best.

In 9th grade she had a GREAT teacher, who inflamed her passion for history, and she did so well in the class that teacher recommended her for AP History for this year, which she LOVES! She shows me her notebook of all the things she's learning, and says it's her favorite class.

Maybe you should rethink your teaching stratigies to get these students excited about learning, you'll do them, and yourself, a favor.

You are exactly right about the greatness of your daughter's 9th grade teacher. As a matter of fact, that is how I teach as well. I cannot prove that, but if you knew me, and would talk to teachers around me ( I am not a certified teacher, I am a substitute teacher)
You would discover that the students I teach do begin to want to know more. I have to be honest though, I am gifted as a teacher (that means God has put something there that I cannot necessarily put my finger on, and it produces awesome results in the classroom), and it is the gift that I have to give credit to when success happens. I am degreed, and love teaching, but I also know that it is not a hobby carreer.

I just wish teachers has that excitement about what they teach, that is inspiring and catching. Many do, and I have met many of those awesome teachers. I have also seen the others. But, my article was not about the teachers, or even curriculum, it was about what is actually taken into the future by the students from those teachers and the books. Students seem to be missing a lot, usually by choice I am sure. That is really what I am saying, and we need to figure out a way to light a spark in them.

I meant my article to be a positive and constructive one, but I understand that on messageboards the posts are usually looked upon as being negatives. So, we read them that way.

I guess I just have to try harder next time.

I doubt you'd understand. I don't think you even know what Patriotism is. I doubt you have a patriotic nerve in your body. You are a nationalism person, like many here.

Wat. :lol:

And you're not denying you said those things, are you?

Something is dangerously wrong with this president. He is not in touch at all with the people. He is not listening. (His administration with him) He is the most unamerican politician I have ever seen.

I propose there is coming very soon a true revolution. I believ this president is going to lead us to destruction, and as rapidly as he possibly can.

He is a liar, not an American, a Muslim (though he said otherwise), Not a representative of the people, a deceiver, and is wiling to do what he has on his agenda even when it is unconstitutional (refuse to enforce immegration laws, etc).

Beyond that I believe he is a terrorist. I believe impeachment is in his future. I don't trust the man at all, for anything.

Some say he has good intentions, well in his case the only good is good for nothing, or no good.

I am personally ready to join any revolution that may take place to save this nation.

Patriotism: Not calling for revolutions simply because your guy lost.

Something is dangerously wrong with this president. He is not in touch at all with the people. He is not listening. (His administration with him) He is the most unamerican politician I have ever seen.

I propose there is coming very soon a true revolution. I believ this president is going to lead us to destruction, and as rapidly as he possibly can.

He is a liar, not an American, a Muslim (though he said otherwise), Not a representative of the people, a deceiver, and is wiling to do what he has on his agenda even when it is unconstitutional (refuse to enforce immegration laws, etc).

Beyond that I believe he is a terrorist. I believe impeachment is in his future. I don't trust the man at all, for anything.

Some say he has good intentions, well in his case the only good is good for nothing, or no good.

I am personally ready to join any revolution that may take place to save this nation.

Patriotism: Not calling for revolutions simply because your guy lost.

I know how to separate the two, do you? Here I am talking about partiotism. On the posts where I talk about the politics in the country, and the Obamination of the nation, then I am talking about needing to make some DRASTIC changes.

So, I believe one can be partiotic and have great passion about cleaning up the nation's political trash. Something to think about.

God bless America.

Forum List

Back