Should US public schools demonstrate more American patriotism?

Smartt33

Apr 7, 2009
USA
Should US public schools demonstrate more American patriotism?

As you drive by any public school in America, you should see the American flag being proudly displayed in a prominent location on the school grounds. If you drive by at the right time, you should be able to watch as the American flag is raised or lowered in a ceremonial presentation. The folding of the American flag should be done with care, and understanding, and the posture of the ones involved in these ceremonial demonstrations should shout with pride.

As you walk through the halls of American public schools, your eyes should be drawn to wall displays of the Declaration of Independence, paintings of the Presidents, and other articles that express an American pride that is contagious. In the classrooms there should be a wall display of the pledge to the American flag. Something in every room should clearly proclaim just how wonderful this country really is.

If professional educators, teachers and school staff would stir up enough patriotic pride within themselves, the things mentioned above would certainly be a reality. However, sadly, in most schools in America you will not find any of these displays of American pride.
There is diversity training, training about political correctness, implied demands to keep religion out of the schools, and threats of discipline if anyone offends another by violating any of the above. There is curriculum about other National Heritage Months, and numerous race related days and celebrations. Where is the national training to lead teachers and Administration to demonstrate National Pride? If there was an all out effort to begin this kind of training, and promote this kind of spirit, schools would slowly begin to catch it. Rather than just wanting to get out of school and make a buck, many students would be inspired to do something for the country. Many have no idea what President Kennedy meant when he said, "Ask not what your country can do for you, but ask what you can do for your country."

Pride, hope, and an enthusiastic spirit are what drive academic growth. They create a desire and a dream for the future. It is in this kind of enthusiasm and drive that our American heroes were born. What is an American Hero today? Can we look clearly at anyone since WW II who is a patriotic hero? Yes, our American military personal might be called heroes. Those who have died in wars, certainly we want to call them heroes. However, I doubt any of them would agree. Most of them don't see themselves as giving up anything for America. Most of them are there because it is their job, there was nothing else to do, they find stability in the income and benefits, or they are there so they can get their education paid for. I am sure there was partiotism in them too, but joining the military was likely not done because of partiotism.

There are a few who believe America is worth their lives, but very few. Most of them really cannot see why they are in such a war as Iraq. Most of them don't have a clue what they are fighting for. It is true that, in a given situation, some of them would certainly lay down their lives for their buddies who stand there with them.

The point is, in most cases joining the military is not about patriotism, or American pride. They did not learn about that in school. They did not see it in their parents and teachers, and communities. They have not seen it is the news. All they have grown up with is fighting, and cold wars, hatred and mistrust.

It is time to put American Pride back into the public schools of America. Let our children know what this Nation has really gone through to obtain and maintain the freedom that we have. Schools should take an active role in clearly demonstrating American pride and patriotism. Maybe our educational professionals need to be re-educated, or maybe they need to be taught for the first time exactly what our founding fathers were literally fighting for to create freedom in the United States of America.

I think this would be a good way to go - that is, after we start teaching all classes in English and demand that all students speak English.

Our PUBLIC SCHOOL has a flag outside, a flag in every room, and the entire school is led in the pledge every morning.

Same at my daughter's PUBLIC SCHOOL.

If someone doesn't want to say the pledge, they don't have to either.

Questions?

Our PUBLIC SCHOOL has a flag outside, a flag in every room, and the entire school is led in the pledge every morning.

Questions?

Same at my childrens' public school. Flag outside, in every classroom, and a very nice veterans' memorial in the middle of the front lawn, lit with spotlights 24/7. What more does the OP think is necessary?

I think this would be a good way to go - that is, after we start teaching all classes in English and demand that all students speak English.

I agree. Did you know that the Spanish that is taught in the schools is "Europian Smanish" and the Mexicans in our country do not understand it? Yes, English needs to be required for everyone always. When Spanish is taught, it should at least be the same as what those who are here are speaking. How can we be expected to communicate with the Hispanics when we ater being taught basically a different language than what they teach? I had to lead in the teaching of Spanish to a Hispanic 12th grader this year. Because I don't speak Spanish I worked with the Mom (This was home teaching) and gave her all of the instructions that were in Spanish. She is Hispanic and speaks Spanish, but she could not read these instructions. If they cannot understand it, how is our learning it going to help??????

Good point, thanks.

Questions?

Good for them. That is a great start. However, that teaches them nothing if there is no curriculum behind it, or active promotion of it.

No questions.

Questions?

Good for them. That is a great start. However, that teaches them nothing if there is no curriculum behind it, or active promotion of it.

No questions.

:confused:

American History, American Government, American Geography, Civics, Problems of Democracy.....?

We had a flag in front of our school, and one in every classroom. I also remember doing a few things during the Gulf War, I think we all had yellow ribbons. And we also of course learned about our country. What more do you want?

Questions?

No questions.

Our Social Studies classes teach all about the history of the flag, from the first one on down the line to our present one.

Maybe you should visit some public schools to see what they do, I bet it would be eye opening for you. Teachers and students DO have pride in their country, isn't that great?

We had a flag in front of our school, and one in every classroom. I also remember doing a few things during the Gulf War, I think we all had yellow ribbons. And we also of course learned about our country. What more do you want?

A nationalistic agenda, obviously. Which is very different from a sense of patriotism, and potentially dangerous. Think about what the "N" in NAZI stands for and you can see the potential pitfalls inherent there.

Questions?

Same at my childrens' public school. Flag outside, in every classroom, and a very nice veterans' memorial in the middle of the front lawn, lit with spotlights 24/7. What more does the OP think is necessary?

I just put the post out there. What is needed is not determined by me. However, I do have suggestions. Some are in the post.

Our kids do not know anything about the Declaration of Independence, Constitution, what the flag stands for, how this nation began and the deaths that led to our national birth. These need to be taught. I am in schools daily. Students do not know any of the above, at any level of their education. When I taught 12 th grade American History, I discovered that no one learns the "Preamble" anymore. They have no idea what is in the DOI. Few have any clue what is in the Constitution, or how the amendments came about. The amendments were the most taught though. I suppose that is because that is about "our rights."

A nationalistic agenda, obviously. Which is very different from a sense of patriotism, and potentially dangerous. Think about what the "N" in NAZI stands for and you can see the potential pitfalls inherent there.

Off to the death panels with you.

Questions?

No questions.

American History, American Government, American Geography, Civics, Problems of Democracy.....?
I was thinking the same thing. I remember learning about US History in grade school, about the Revolution and Civil War during 8th grade, American Government my junior year, and 20th Century American History my sophmore year. It is also required to take Pacific Northwest History your freshman year. And I remember doing a few papers on a certain State and a few Presidents. I even remember my state was Michigan, and one of the Presidents was Herbert Hoover.
Plus I remember learning about the civil rights movement, and other important events in our history.
I am still wondering what more he wants?

I am still wondering what more he wants?

Considering this is the same guy who said Barack Obama is a terrorist and that he's willing to join any revolution willing to overthrow him, I'd rather not find out.

Questions?

No questions.

You can read my previous post about that. Those textbooks are awesome, even though they may miss a point or two. However, I don't know what is actually being covered in them except what is needed on a standardized test. That rips the kids off.

My daughter who is in the tenth grade is taking AP History and Bible Lit this semester, among her other core classes.

But of COURSE, according to Smart 33, students aren't being taught history, because that would make his OP invalid.

$tumblr_kwyocwJScg1qausevo1_400_1_.jpg

Forum List

Back