Should truth in advertising laws apply to political speeches and commentary?

Should the truth in advertising laws apply to political speeches and commentary?

• Yes

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters
How would this work, uscitizen? If a candidate claims to be a better person to run an office, how would we measure the veracity of his or her statements?

If they tell falsehoods they would be fined, jailed, whatever.
Just like a manufacturer making false claims about their product.
Political ads and pundits are also selling the american people a product and if they lie they should be penalized.

Say a politician says they voted one way on something and it is not true. Or they make a false claim about their education, etc.

Or they keep repeating things proven false.
Such as Iraq was responsible for 911.
Or Obamas India trip cost 200 mill per day.
Or Bush was a cokehead (not proveable).
etc.

Currently political ads and such are specifically exempt from the truth in advertising laws. Hmm one has to wonder why.

I think this one law change would remove a lot of the hate and fear mongering from the media.

Last edited:
How would this work, uscitizen? If a candidate claims to be a better person to run an office, how would we measure the veracity of his or her statements?

Political ads and pundits are also selling the american people a product and if they lie they should be penalized.

Say a politician says they voted one way on something and it is not true. Or they make a false claim about their education, etc.

etc.

Currently political ads and such are specifically exempt from the truth in advertising laws. Hmm one has to wonder why.

I think this one law change would remove a lot of the hate and fear mongering from the media.

You dun think the law of slander and defamation is enough?

I voted yes. Im for honesty. If we want a democracy that works then people need to know the facts. There is more than one way to look at facts but when lies enter in, facts become non-facts.

And please say why you feel the way you do.

No. The problem with that is the truth can be subjective, particularly in political campaigns. When you get into the political realm the truth at many times is in the eyes of the beholder.

You're confusing Free Speech with Truth in Advertising Laws.

No I am not. Political parties and pundits are selling a product just like manufacturers are. And a damn important one. Our government.
Should lies concering who we elect to our government be allowed as they currently are?

Last edited:
It doesnt matter they would create loop holes and tie shit up in courts for years at our expense so they could lie anyway ... oh wait they do that now! my bad

You're confusing Free Speech with Truth in Advertising Laws.

No I am not. Political parties and pundits are selling a product just like manufacturers are. And a damn important one. Our government.
Should lies concering who we elect to our government be allowed as they currently are?

The problem is, IMO, that humans typically lie about issues that pertain to their egos and self interests and usually have no idea that they are lying. Or at least they have learned not to let themselves in on the secret.

Using this board as an example I would wager a guess that 3/4 of all posts are generally lies posted to support either ego or self interest, or of course both.

Humans are uncivilized, unevolved apes who are far more comfortable with lies that pacify than they are with truths that grate.

etc.

I applaud the sentiment. But any good politician believes their own lies.

Is lying "free speech"?

Forum List

Back