Should They Ban The Long Putter?

I don't care what you use George. In my experience (which is considerable) putting has nothing to do with the length of putter- it's more about the putz holding it.

:lol:

You raise a valid point. There is an expression in golf: "It's not the arrow, it's the Indian." Having said that, however . . .

There is also something in golf known as the yips. The yips are an involuntary turning of the wrists at the moment of impact, that causes the face of the club to turn right or left off of center, and the ball (therefore) to also go off-line, either to the right or the left. Note that word, "involuntary."

Golfers can putt well all of their lives with a standard putter and then, all of a sudden and for no known reason, develop the yips. Once they do, there is no cure. There are pros who have quit golf because of the yips.

I said there is no cure for the yips. There is one cure: the long putter. When you use the long putter, your wrists do not come into play. The ball goes exactly where you intend for it to go unless your swing plane is a little off. The hardest aspect of using the long putter is distance, but it sure is not direction.

I was a very good putter with the standard length putter, until the yips arrived about a year ago. I am a very good putter with the long putter. Note well: I am no better with the long putter - just the same as I was before. And that's an important point. If I was a better putter with the LP than I was with the standard putter (pre-yips), then it would appear that using the long putter gives one an advantage over other golfers using standard putters. To that argument I would say (1) I don't think you do gain any advantage by using the long putter and (2) if you do, then go out and get one yourself and start using it.

There is an interesting argument against the long putter that goes like this: so you got the yips. Either overcome them, play with them, or quit. The game of golf is the game of golf, and it does not involve the convoluted putting stroke involved by anchoring the end of the putter to your body. That was never done in golf and should not be allowed to be used now. True golf involves using the standard putter. If you can't use it, get out.
(This argument should sit very well with most conservatives. ;))

I recognize that argument. I think it is probably the main reason the governing bodies will probably ban it in several months. What will I do then? I don't know - figure some way to continue playing. I love the game of golf. There are things that can be done: "left hand low" grips or "claw" grips on standard putters. I am hearing they are not going to ban the long putter; only prohibit its being anchored to the body. Not sure how that will play out. I don't think very well.

It's an interesting issue, that's for sure.

I've been playing golf a long time and have never had a case of the "yips", but I have gone through extended periods of bad putting.

So what do I do when I start missing easy putts? I go buy a new putter. Then for a few months, I will put like a pro! I tell myself it's gotta be that new putter, it was worth every penny I paid for it! Then, invariably, I start to turn stale again and miss a few 3 footers. It grows progressively worse and after a few weeks I blame that @#$%^^%$#@ new putter!! It is forcing my hands into an uncomfortable position!! It doesn't sound right; It's too heavy; It's too light. What to do now??

... I pull out the "old" putter, the one I have all of those great memories with .....I switch to it for the next few rounds- and viola!! Like MAGIC, I start draining putts. I know it's the new "old" putter, it's my lucky putter by god!! I should have never bought that fancy schmancy new "scotty cameron" or "ping" putter. I'll stick with my old reliable $15.00 garage sale putter. I Shoulda never tried that fancy shit.....then...a few months later....I'll start missing a few 3 footers again....and the cycle begins again.

Bottom line? A new putter forces you to return to basic, to the fundamentals of a good putting stroke. It feels new and unfamiliar in your hands, so you take a little more time to line things up, to read the green better, and you focus on making the ball roll smoothly...then suddenly, like magic, your putting improves.

You can blame the old putter or credit the new one, but the bottom line is that the putter is just the tool, the magic is between your ears!

Personally, I don't like the belly putters or the longer "chin mounted" variety (lol), But I have a few friends that swear by them. I don't think the PGA should outlaw them. We'll see what happens....:clap2:

76e7856d_caddyshack-rodney.jpeg

No need to ban the long putter. Every golfer still needs to read the green (elevations, lines, etc) and apply the proper putt speed. I use a conventional blade putter and never understood how a golfer can get the yips if they are gripping the putter properly and leading with the left arm (am right handed).
Last weekend, Adam Scott blew a substantial lead in the British Open and he uses a long putter, so I do not really believe it gives one an advantage.

Should they ban the long putter?

There are two kinds of long putters - the belly putter and the long plutter. The belly putter sits into the belly with both hands on the shaft. The long putter anchors on the chest with only one hand on the shaft. (Spare me the gross comments here, ok?)

As you probably know, the Royal & Ancients and the USGA are both "considering" the legality of the long putter and whether or not to ban it. There is no express rule of golf that prohibits it. The argument against it is that it "violates the spirit" of golf by anchoring the shaft to the body. Long putters have been around for many, many decades. It is the recent emergence of the long putter on the professional tour and, especially, the appearance of pros who use a long putter, holding up trophies at the end of tournaments (Ernie Els only yesterday), that has sparked the controversy.

I got the yips with a regular putter and had to go to the long putter to overcome that issue. The long putter works very well for me. Most guys you see using the long putter are using it because they simply cannot use a regular putter - it isn't just that they decided to switch. Personally, I cringe a bit when I use it because I do think it "violates the spirit of the game," even though there is no express rule against it. But, if I couldn't use it, it would be Golf Over for me, so, for that reason, I am in favor of keeping it.

What do you think - and why?

Edit Note: Here is a pretty good discussion of the issue:

Open Championship 2012 -- Officials debate use of long putters - ESPN

Drive for show...putt for dough. If you don't have the confidence to putt without having a "crutch"...you should take your skank cheating ass off the golf course.

Watched Snead in an exhibition match in the early 70s.

All business - no smiles.

Most natural swing I ever saw.

Easily of one the 5 greatest golfers of all time.

Forum List

Back