Should The US Reinstate The Draft or Some Other Mandatory Service?

MarcATL

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2009
It seems that ever since mandatory drafting was done away with, each and every American family didn't have a stake in war any more. It became only those "patriotic enough" to want to serve, in that capacity, who "had a stake in war/policy/etc." Which, in turn, makes it easy for the average American/American family to not be too concerned or involved in the war policy decisions the country makes. Which in turn gives the military more incentive to rush into war without consequence, well political/domestic consequence. As the general thought would be, "Well those boys knew what they signed up for; Well, they chose it," so its not much a care as well as for many folks, dare I say most, they don't have an immediate stake in the game or concern cause "its not MY son/cousin/father."

Notice how most of the rest of the the civilized industial western countries aren't too keen to rush into war as Americans have been in the last few decades. I believe many, if not most of those countries have some form of mandatory service on the books. Doesn't it make a difference in the policies the countries make? They know they can't tell their citizens some BS to rush to war...their sons and daughters are on the line, they don't wanna hear that nonsense. They won't accept it.

Today, most of America's sons and daughters asses are not on the line, so they are easily convinced or tricked to rush into war..any war, for any reason. Americans, especially those of the conservative stripe seems to have never come across a war that they didn't wanna rush into naked. The rich, whom almost NEVER have any "stake in the game" are amongst the most war-mongering bunch of the lot.

Isn't it time to re-examine this policy? Or should we just continue to make it easier for the powerful war-mongerers amongst us to trick us?

What say you?

If upperclass and politicians kids were on the firing line the tune about war in the U.S would change for sure IMO. As it is the poor get to do the fighting and dying so war is good business.

No thanks.

Reservists and Guardsmen are bad enough (sorry guys) I can't imagine what a guy who REALLY didn't want to be in a war zone would be like.

No thanks.

Reservists and Guardsmen are bad enough (sorry guys) I can't imagine what a guy who REALLY didn't want to be in a war zone would be like.

It would probably be a lot like WWII, the last war we actually won.

Yes, indeed it should reinstate a general military draft that include females. The ONLY way that we are going to bring unnecessary wars to screeching halt is when the lily white daughters of the Republicans , warmongers, jingoists and neocrazies are forced to share foxholes, and close living spaces with Afro-Americans.

No thanks.

I can, since we had that in every war before now.

The kiddies here fail to realize that Vietnam, Korea, WWII, WWI, and even the Civil war had lots of drafties and it didn't stop the fighting at all.

Using Europe as an example of not fighting is rather amusing in that Europe has depended on Uncle Sam to be imperial policeman since WWII ended.

Yes, indeed it should reinstate a general military draft that include females. The ONLY way that we are going to bring unnecessary wars to screeching halt is when the lily white daughters of the Republicans , warmongers, jingoists and neocrazies are forced to share foxholes, and close living spaces with Afro-Americans.

That's a good start, but here's the true way to reach the poiont you're all driving at:

Re-instate the draft, and remove the upper age limit.

If old people think they'll have to go fight in a war, the US would suddenly become the most isolationist nation on the face of the planet.

No thanks.

It would probably be a lot like WWII, the last war we actually won.
You belive a draft will bring back area and firebombing civilian targets?

That is how the US won BTW, fighting total war.

Total and necessary are the only ways wars should be fought.

No thanks.

I can, since we had that in every war before now.

The kiddies here fail to realize that Vietnam, Korea, WWII, WWI, and even the Civil war had lots of drafties and it didn't stop the fighting at all.

Using Europe as an example of not fighting is rather amusing in that Europe has depended on Uncle Sam to be imperial policeman since WWII ended.

Which is why the draft age limit would need to be raised to at least 65.

deferments when there is a draft are cute too! - Cheney got 5, Rush got one for the boil on his fat ass and Ted Nuggent shit and pissed himself to get one......and what do they all have in common? - thay all love war.

deferments when there is a draft are cute too! - Cheney got 5, Rush got one for the boil on his fat ass and Ted Nuggent shit and pissed himself to get one......and what do they all have in common? - thay all love war.

Ironic, no?

Forum List

Back