Should the United States go back to a top federal tax rate of 70%?

Should the United States go back to a top federal tax rate of 70%?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
It is if you want to destroy the country.
No "as if" about it...He's a commie moonbat.
Trump is doing that already with Republican help.

Do you favor withdrawing from NATO, comrade?
Another closet neocon comes bounding out!

Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, Bolton, Kristol, and Boot all welcome you to the club.
Didn’t Democrats invent NATO?
Didn't democrats -including YOU- shit yourselves with Bush's warmongering?...Why, I believe I remember you did.

Now you're on their team...Sucks to be you, sucker.
Bush’s war based on lies has nothing to do with NATO. But keep flailing!

That $20 trillion debt is not going to pay itself off.

True, but progressive tax and spend is only going to make it worse.
The last 2 Democratic Presidents reduced the deficit, while GWBush and trump have exploded it.

Speaks to which Party is truly fiscally responsible.

You must of forgot about the 9 billion in debt obama puled up moron

That was trillion., not billion. It was I believe 10.2 trillion, doubled the debt in 8 years.
Yes sorry

Another failed talking point. Sometimes I think USMB is stuck in 2011.
Wait. So, spending less money is NOT an effective way to reduce the deficit/debt?
It is! We can start with the bloated Defense budget. We don't need billions of spending on new tanks.

Yes we do. The Russians have a brand new tank called the T-14 Armata have leaped ahead of the United States and the West in Tank technology. First production model was released in 2015, although full production to replace Russia's tank fleet has not started yet. Still though, that's way ahead of the United States and other Western countries. The last time the United Sates started mass producing a new tank was in 1981. Roughly the same time period for the United Kingdom and Germany. Germany is dusting of plans to build the Leopard III tank with France. The United States is still just upgrading the old M1 tank without any new firm plans to replace it. As a result, In the 2020s, NATO will have a much greater challenge in defending its eastern border especially in areas like Estonia and Latvia.
If we go to war with Russia it won’t be with tanks. Their tanks are for intimidating Ukraine and their neighbors.

Your avatar has shown time and again to a) not care in the slightest about fiscal discipline; and b) does not seem to have a clue now the economy works.

Income inequality has almost NOTHING to do with income tax rates. To start with, the mega rich do NOT make their money in 'income' - they make almost all of it in 'capital gains'.

The principle reason for income inequality is government/central bank interventions that benefit the wealthy with mark to market rule changes for banks, corporate bailouts, ultra-low interest rates (which only the rich can truly utilize) and QE (which again, only pumps up the equity markets - which are overwhelmingly owned by the wealthy).

If you raise federal income taxes to 70% (plus state income taxes) - the wealthy will leave...period. Why the fuck would someone rich stay in a country that takes almost all of their yearly income?
And forget the old 91% tax rate. That tax rate had ENORMOUS holes in it - almost no one paid that rate...or anything close to it.

You want to (eventually) drastically lower income inequality?

Make it illegal for the government to EVER bail out a company during peacetime, end the Fed's 'full employment' mandate (which will stop them from interfering in the economy for their rich buddies), balance the budget, end all deductions except capital losses and charitable contributions AND make capital gains and income tax rates identical.

There are taxes on capital gains. They need to be raised!

The rich will stay because other first world countries already have top tax rates of 70% or higher. Unless the rich want the risk involved in living in a third world country, they will be staying in the United States.

And that's why many of the jobs are now in China.

If the income tax rate were 0%, the government would collect 0 dollars. If the income tax rate were 100%, the government would collect 0 dollars, because who would be stupid enough to create wealth?
No, the jobs are in China because Republicans wrote legislation that made it more profitable to move jobs to China.

That’s a fact.

Really? Would you like my factcheck link that says you are FOS? I have it right here if you need it.
Yeah, sure. Lol! Is it Breitbart or World News Daily?

Comprehension problems? I said FACT CHECK .ORG. A very well known left-leaning source.
Ok, post the link. Lol!

No problem.

Talking Tax Breaks for Offshoring - FactCheck.org

Bush’s war based on lies has nothing to do with NATO. But keep flailing!
Oh, so none of the other NATO nations were spreading the same disinformation and lies about Iraq....Only Bush was.

Got-dammit, are you a sap.

No one lied about Iraq. Saddam had the most extensive chemical warfare program of any country since World War I and he used it extensively. Had he remained in power, that type of WMD as well as others would have been built again and used against Western interest in the region. Its a great thing Saddam is gone.

Thank you Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez!!!

Poll: A majority of Americans support raising the top tax rate to 70 percent

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) and her Republican critics have both called her proposal to dramatically increase America's highest tax rate "radical" but a new poll released Tuesday indicates that a majority of Americans agrees with the idea.

In the latest The Hill-HarrisX survey, which was conducted Jan. 12 and 13 after the newly elected congresswoman called for the U.S. to raise its highest tax rate to 70 percent, found that a sizable majority of registered voters, 59 percent, supports the idea.

Just another example of how far America has fallen. We've become a nation of envious little bitches.

If you want to stop growth, that's exactly what you do.

The reason capital gains taxes are not ridiculous is to encourage investments in the US. If tax rates are too high, the risk of making money is not worth it. Investors would rather invest in tax-free bonds or off shore investments.

So now we make capital gains taxes 50%. You purchased your home in 1990 for 150K. Today you sold it for 250K. You made 100K from your long-term investment. But now you owe government 50K of that for capital gains taxes.

Wait. So, spending less money is NOT an effective way to reduce the deficit/debt?
It is! We can start with the bloated Defense budget. We don't need billions of spending on new tanks.

Yes we do. The Russians have a brand new tank called the T-14 Armata have leaped ahead of the United States and the West in Tank technology. First production model was released in 2015, although full production to replace Russia's tank fleet has not started yet. Still though, that's way ahead of the United States and other Western countries. The last time the United Sates started mass producing a new tank was in 1981. Roughly the same time period for the United Kingdom and Germany. Germany is dusting of plans to build the Leopard III tank with France. The United States is still just upgrading the old M1 tank without any new firm plans to replace it. As a result, In the 2020s, NATO will have a much greater challenge in defending its eastern border especially in areas like Estonia and Latvia.
If we go to war with Russia it won’t be with tanks. Their tanks are for intimidating Ukraine and their neighbors.

What was the last war overseas that we fought without tanks?

The United States has deployed a full tank brigade to Poland. Another entire Tank Brigade's equipment as been stationed in Poland as well, so troops can be brought in quickly to drop in on the pre-positioned equipment. Smaller tanks units from other countries have been stationed in Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania. Those three Baltic countries demanded NATO armored units be stationed on their territory. Medium weight or lighter units don't have the combat strength to effectively fight Russian armored units. Ground units are critical to defending NATO's eastern flank, and the ground units with the most firepower are Armored/tank Brigades.

Airpower can support the ground units, but they can never take and hold territory or adequately defend territory. Combined Arms is how NATO has defended Europe for the past 70 years and its the way it will defend Europe in the decades to come. The United States has recently used tanks in Iraq and even in Afghanistan in the southwestern part of the country. Any large scale high intensity combat in Europe or other places around the globe will be using tanks. That's why all the major powers all continue to produce tanks or keep tank fleets in relatively large numbers.

Its only small countries like the Netherlands, Denmark, Belgium and a few others that have cut tanks from their arsenals.

Not very impressive. First, the AOC proposal never said anything about the corporate tax rate albeit that rate should most certainly be adjusted upwards.

Why?
Because we are at a historic low the last 20-30 years only getting worse in revenue from giant corporations and the rich, and thus no investment in the middle class and infrastructure. Snap out of it.

If you want to stop growth, that's exactly what you do.

The reason capital gains taxes are not ridiculous is to encourage investments in the US. If tax rates are too high, the risk of making money is not worth it. Investors would rather invest in tax-free bonds or off shore investments.

So now we make capital gains taxes 50%. You purchased your home in 1990 for 150K. Today you sold it for 250K. You made 100K from your long-term investment. But now you owe government 50K of that for capital gains taxes.

Raising taxes on the rich does not hurt the economy and brings in vital tax revenue to pay for government programs including defense. The best policy is maximizing tax revenue coming into the government without hurting economic growth. Raising taxes on the rich income, capital gains, land, property accomplishes that goal. You want to keep taxes low or next to nothing on the lower class and middle class since they do most of the consumer spending. 70% of GDP growth comes from consumer spending.

Thank you Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez!!!

Poll: A majority of Americans support raising the top tax rate to 70 percent

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) and her Republican critics have both called her proposal to dramatically increase America's highest tax rate "radical" but a new poll released Tuesday indicates that a majority of Americans agrees with the idea.

In the latest The Hill-HarrisX survey, which was conducted Jan. 12 and 13 after the newly elected congresswoman called for the U.S. to raise its highest tax rate to 70 percent, found that a sizable majority of registered voters, 59 percent, supports the idea.

The grand plan is all coming together huh...Flood the U.S. with desperate, needy, low iQ thirdworlders who will back you in begging for free shit....But, but, but RUSSIA!

1812 is world that no longer exist. The United States has interest all over the world that is vital to its economy and its survival. As time goes by, the world becomes ever more interdependent. Isolationism has been dead since the 19th century. A country like Switzerland is dependent upon NATO for its true security.
Thank you, Woodrow Wilson.

I agree, the US had absolutely no business in WWI and it totally screwed up Europe for a long time, because it was an evil war.

Had the United States been more involved in Europe before 1914, to include having troops stationed in France and Belgium, World War I would never of happened. The Germans would not have attacked risking war with France, Britain, The United States and Russia all at once.

The Germans started the war when they invaded Luxembourg on August 1, 1914. By August 2, 1914, there were tens of thousands of German troops in Luxembourg. The Germans were the first country to violate another country's sovereignty in 1914 and thus the blame for the World War rest with them.

Sorry, but that is totally ignorant.
Germany did not attack anyone in WWI.
It was Serbia that assassinated Archduke Ferdinand and his wife, and then when Serbia refused to allow an Austrian investigation that would have revealed it was the government behind the assassination, Russia, France, and England declared war on Germany and Austria, and started attacking them, both on the western and eastern fronts. French troop were many miles into southern Germany before Germany went through Belgium and got behind French defenses, making them retreat back out of Germany.
Clearly it was France that attacked Germany first.
The Germans most definitely did NOT at all start WWI.

Here are the headlines to prove it.
4480039ad0cc5d4f8e72f1f3089f6757.jpg

And no, stationing US troops in Europe not only would have been even more provocative, but have increased the frequency of war, because US troops usually start offenses and are not defensive at all.
For example, there would have been no Korean war or war in Vietnam, if not for US troops violating rights.
US troops always have caused conflict, not stopped it, like in China, Panama, Grenada, Iraq, Afghanistan, etc.
You seem to forget the US is and always has been an imperialist and colonialist country.
Like bribing Pinochet into the military takeover in Chile, bribing the Shah of Iran into the military takeover in 1953, Operation Ajax, etc.

Totally FALSE! While the Archduke was murdered by a Bosnian Serb, it was not at the direction of the top leadership of the Serbian Government. The Austrian/Hungarians were the first fire artillery shells into another country on July 29, 1914 when they shelled Belgrade. But it was the Germans who first sent troops illegally into a foreign country, Luxembourg, on August 1, 1914. Based on international law and the United Nations today, the initial aggressors in terms of directed illegal armed combat and assault from one country against another, Germany and Austro/Hungary were the guilty aggressors.

1812 is world that no longer exist. The United States has interest all over the world that is vital to its economy and its survival. As time goes by, the world becomes ever more interdependent. Isolationism has been dead since the 19th century. A country like Switzerland is dependent upon NATO for its true security.
Thank you, Woodrow Wilson.

I agree, the US had absolutely no business in WWI and it totally screwed up Europe for a long time, because it was an evil war.

Had the United States been more involved in Europe before 1914, to include having troops stationed in France and Belgium, World War I would never of happened. The Germans would not have attacked risking war with France, Britain, The United States and Russia all at once.

The Germans started the war when they invaded Luxembourg on August 1, 1914. By August 2, 1914, there were tens of thousands of German troops in Luxembourg. The Germans were the first country to violate another country's sovereignty in 1914 and thus the blame for the World War rest with them.

Sorry, but that is totally ignorant.
Germany did not attack anyone in WWI.
It was Serbia that assassinated Archduke Ferdinand and his wife, and then when Serbia refused to allow an Austrian investigation that would have revealed it was the government behind the assassination, Russia, France, and England declared war on Germany and Austria, and started attacking them, both on the western and eastern fronts. French troop were many miles into southern Germany before Germany went through Belgium and got behind French defenses, making them retreat back out of Germany.
Clearly it was France that attacked Germany first.
The Germans most definitely did NOT at all start WWI.

Here are the headlines to prove it.
4480039ad0cc5d4f8e72f1f3089f6757.jpg

And no, stationing US troops in Europe not only would have been even more provocative, but have increased the frequency of war, because US troops usually start offenses and are not defensive at all.
For example, there would have been no Korean war or war in Vietnam, if not for US troops violating rights.
US troops always have caused conflict, not stopped it, like in China, Panama, Grenada, Iraq, Afghanistan, etc.
You seem to forget the US is and always has been an imperialist and colonialist country.
Like bribing Pinochet into the military takeover in Chile, bribing the Shah of Iran into the military takeover in 1953, Operation Ajax, etc.

Since the United States has permanently stationed U.S. troops in Europe since 1945, they have deterred a Soviet/Warsaw Pact invasion of Europe, deterred World War III from happening, and have generally kept the peace in Europe, with the break up of Yugoslavia in the 1990s and Russia's current aggression against Ukraine being the only exceptions!

The fact is, the 73 years since the end of World War II in 1945 have been the most peaceful ever in European history thanks to the United States and NATO.

The other night I was watching Jay Leno's Garage and he was featuring a Ford GT he just bought. It's pretty much a carbon-fiber masterpiece, what he calls a "chassis car", oh and it won LeMans for the second time, 50 years apart....he mentioned that several times. He also mentioned he paid $500,000 for it. Imagine having enough scratch to even consider dropping half a million on a car you can't do anything with....you can't let it idle in traffic or let it loose on a freeway, certainly not a commuter because it doesn't have a trunk. He seemed most impressed that it has an AM radio but not enough metal in the chassis to ground it well enough for clear reception. So it's pretty much a "look at me I'm filthy rich" gold-digger magnet. My '85 F-150 works fine by me, and if I hit Leno in an intersection because I couldn't see him from only being a couple feet off the ground, I win.

I would like to know which members of the USMB here warm over $10 million a year.

The income above 10 million will be taxed at 70%.

Please vote in my poll.

It depends on what the rest of the tables would look like. Would she double all the marginal rates?

I would like to know which members of the USMB here warm over $10 million a year.

Please vote in my poll.

It depends on what the rest of the tables would look like. Would she double all the marginal rates?

I doubt she has any plan. She's just throwing that out to see the reaction.

Please vote in my poll.

I doubt she has any plan. She's just throwing that out to see the reaction.

I think you're probably right, but I just wanted to throw a wet blanket on the OP. He's clueless about her plans. Ya never want to give a commie power. They'll pick your pocket clean.

Forum List

Back