Should the U.S. Senate be abolished?

I think so, no question.

We have Senators who represent 800,000 people making decisions for the 300 million of the rest of us.

Do you care about the Constitution and our Republican form of government? If so, I am not seeing it in this post. I see someone advocating that it be further bastardized, because you seem to believe in mob rule.

What you suggested would require an amendment to the Constitution. You should have researched your thought some first.

I think so, no question.

We have Senators who represent 800,000 people making decisions for the 300 million of the rest of us.

Uh, no. Obviously. But we need to elected them according to the Constitution:

Article I, section 3, "The Senate of the United States shall be composed of two Senators from each state, chosen by the legislature thereof for six Years; and each Senator shall have one Vote."

BTW, "And to the Republic, for which is stands..."
That's been changed by amendment.

so what do you propose instead, because direct democracy won't work either

I think he would prefer that Representatives, who each represent only a couple hundred thousand people at most, make the decisions that affect all 300 million of us all by themselves.

Math isn't exactly his strong suit, nor is logic.

I think the Senate should be strengthened by repealing the XVII Amendment.

yes let's repress the masses more! grand idea
Politics went downhill as soon as that melarkey was enacted. The Founders recognized the folly of pure democracy and designed teh senate as an instrument for counter acting the stupidity of the masses of people. Returning to that standard would improve governance. I mean, how wise a decision can there be from people who cannot identify the first president of the US, or any other relevant fact of American history?

I just don't agree. Those writing the laws (reps and senators) should be held accountable to the will of the people they're ruling over.

That said, there are judges in several states who campaign and kowtow to public opinion in the process when they should be the arbiters of the law. That needs to change.

Politics went downhill as soon as that melarkey was enacted. The Founders recognized the folly of pure democracy and designed teh senate as an instrument for counter acting the stupidity of the masses of people. Returning to that standard would improve governance. I mean, how wise a decision can there be from people who cannot identify the first president of the US, or any other relevant fact of American history?

I just don't agree. Those writing the laws (reps and senators) should be held accountable to the will of the people they're ruling over.

That said, there are judges in several states who campaign and kowtow to public opinion in the process when they should be the arbiters of the law. That needs to change.

Judicial elections are the absolute worst way to choose jurists, save only for the appointment process. If you think party loyalty and fundraising requirements are bad, try patronage.

I think he would prefer that Representatives, who each represent only a couple hundred thousand people at most, make the decisions that affect all 300 million of us all by themselves.

You guys do realize that there are options in between an electoral system that's biased in favor of one group and direct democracy, right?

I think so, no question.

Uh, no. Obviously. But we need to elected them according to the Constitution:

Article I, section 3, "The Senate of the United States shall be composed of two Senators from each state, chosen by the legislature thereof for six Years; and each Senator shall have one Vote."

BTW, "And to the Republic, for which is stands..."
That's been changed by amendment.

Thank you captain obvious. Yes, of course it has and it was wrong. It should be repealed. That's why I bolded Republic.

You guys do realize that there are options in between an electoral system that's biased in favor of one group and direct democracy, right?

And your brilliant suggestion for totally remaking our system of government would be . . . ?

And your brilliant suggestion for totally remaking our system of government would be . . . ?

Another swing and miss. Suggesting that one feature of government be modified is not "totally remaking our system of government".

I think so, no question.

Do you care about the Constitution and our Republican form of government? If so, I am not seeing it in this post. I see someone advocating that it be further bastardized, because you seem to believe in mob rule.

What you suggested would require an amendment to the Constitution. You should have researched your thought some first.

I should have researched my thought first?

Are you an idiot? Of course it would require an amendment to the Constitution. So what?

The Senate is the source of most of the evil in our body politic. They are completely controlled by corporate lobbyists.

Something closer to goverment of the people is "mob rule" in your mind.

I think so, no question.

Please tell us why you think the U.S. senate should be abolished? We VOTE for all of our elected officials, including senators.

Is it that you now believe in smaller government or is it that DEMOCRATS in the senate just turned down any public option--& you're ticked & just want them abolished---:lol:

It's kind of hard for me to believe that you have moved over into the conservative column.

$obama-vs-blue-dogs.gif

Last edited:
I think so, no question.

Holy Cow Criss--have you done a 180 turn or what? Please tell us why you think the U.S. senate should be abolished?

Is it that you now believe in smaller government or is it that DEMOCRATS in the senate just turned down any public option--& you're ticked & just want them abolished---:lol:

It's kind of hard for me to believe that you have moved over into the conservative column.

View attachment 8294

Why should a state with 800,000 people have as much power as a state with 30,000,000 people? It is the most undemocratic thing imaginable.

It is better to have one legislature, one president, and one Supreme Court.

I think so, no question.

Holy Cow Criss--have you done a 180 turn or what? Please tell us why you think the U.S. senate should be abolished?

View attachment 8294

Why should a state with 800,000 people have as much power as a state with 30,000,000 people? It is the most undemocratic thing imaginable.

And they more than make up for that in the house of representatives. Everyone is represented.

Okay first problem with that nonsense is senators represent the interest of their states not necessarily any given bunch of people. Hell until the 16th amendment they were appointed by the states. The chief purpose of the senate was and is to prevent states like NY and Ca. from being the be all and end all when it came to running the country.

The govenment of this country was intended to be a Republic in which the rights of the less populpous states would adequately be defended against the overweening tyrrany of the more populous states. That is also in essence why we have the electoral college.

Last edited:
Okay first problem with that nonsense is senators represent the interest of their states not necessarily any given bunch of people. Hell until the 16th amendment they were appointed by the states. The chief purpose of the senate was and is to prevent states like NY and Ca. from being the be all and end all when it came to running the country.

The govenment of this country was intended to be a Republic in which the rights of the less populpous states would adequately be defended against the overweening tyrrany of the more populous states. That is also in essence why we have the electoral college.
chris is an idiot

Can't argue that. The mere fact that he thinks the house is less corrupt than the senate is all the proof anyone with two brain cells to rub together needs to realize just how large and thorough going an idiot he is.

I think so, no question.

View attachment 8294

That was actually the point: that no state could dominate another just because more people lived there.
We have one legislature. It is divided between the House, representing the people numerically, and the Senate, representing the states as a whole.
I think only someone completely and utterly ignorant of AMerican history and the making of the Constitution would question this.

I think the Senate should be strengthened by repealing the XVII Amendment.

the founders did not provide for direct election of senators due to pressure from the "states rights" bunch, not to protect the people from themselves! That same "states rights' bunch also championed slavery as a viable economic system.

Where were those liberty loving Conservatives then?

Forum List

Back