Should The U.S. Government Bale out California?

I am not so sure that we SHOULD bail out either of those three states, but if we felt we HAD TO bail out banks and the auto industry then I think the answer will be that we MUST bail out the states as well... more government spending we can't afford.

Immie

So.....they can do it all over again, Immie? Ca. won't change, and maybe the feds should run the state like they are with GM?

Maybe they should run it like Greece and put them on an austerity program. God knows they need it.

I am a life long California Republican and I say NO BAILOUT! The Liberal Democrats that control LA and San Fran which seems to control the entire state need to deal with what they have created. Nothing in this country should be too big to fail. Not the Banks, Not the States, NOTHING. Either they can do what they have promised or they can fail and negotiate something they can live with. It Is Not The Federal Governments Place To Bail Any State Out.California has made it's bed and now they can sleep in it.( bet you haven't heard that saying for a while)

Here's one who's real world application has, apparently, fell into disrepute:

A Penny Saved is a Penny Earned.

I know how lonely you might feel, I'm from South Jersey, but things are starting to look up now that Conservative rock star Chris Christie is working his magic!

JM

Those states that are in the worst trouble are those that a) tried to be the model and saviors of the world or planet or the people or something via government initiative and b) tried to spend themselves rich.

So that's more cliches that have stood the test of time:

a) a government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have, and it will, and. . .

b) People, corporations, towns, states, and nations cannot spend themselves rich.

There are 3 states whose profligate spending and generous deals with public employees...
why do you hate teachers cops and firemen?

You forgot to put children on that list. One of the first strawmen* the teachers' union trotted out when Christie started trying to save our state from bankruptcy court was: "But what about the children?" The Gov then asked why it was that NJ spent almost as much as Washington D.C. per pupil with the same sorry result when other states spend almost half as much while showing much higher graduation rates. Just so state residents got the message, Christie informed all that everyone in the state, understandably, would have to sacrifice a little. During the course of ensuing events Christie then asked the teachers' unions to share in that sacrifice by paying 1.5% of their salary towards their very generous health care benefits (which they do not pay anything for presently). When the teachers not only refused the opportunity of shared sacrifice but then sent around e-mails encouraging each other to pray for the Governor's timely death, it was pretty clear where the teachers’ main concern lay.

More on subject here, I don't know about CA but here in NJ we have seen the spectacle of the State chief executive (John Corzine-D) actually attending a state employees' union rally delivering a speech assuring the members he was on their side and he would exert his power to obtain their goals! That is how bad it has gotten. That is how obvious the symbiotic relationship between Democratic politicians and state employee unions has become.

Nationally, we have the Dems relationship with the UAW really not much different then the above. Plus we have an Obama Admin and, until recently, Dem Congress that has encouraged GM, by way of taxpayer subsidies, to make a 42,000 USD electric car. The argument for the car's low emissions vanishes with this fact: There are only 500 stations in the U.S. that are capable of electrically 'refueling' this car and 400 of them are in CA. So, how many Americans will buy a secondary or tertiary car, at the above cited price, just to go to the local market? Arguably most of them will live in CA and may have to purchase one just so they can meet the requirement's of the new cap and trade law so as to reduce CO2 emissions in CA...and only in CA.

JM

*The second strawman was that teacher’s needed to have more money because of their education which Christie quickly dispatched with his observation that “Teachers knew their pay scale when they went into the profession.”

Do you know why the conservabots called Brown "moonbeam"? This is a riot. Back in the early 70s, Brown had this whacked idea that we should like, get this, put a ring of, Omigod, I'm giggling when i think of it, satellites around the planet. LOL! Yeah, the idiot thought it would be a good idea to "beam" communications signals off these sattelites and thereby, what a moron, have near instantaneous global communications!

Can you believe it? No wonder the neanderthalls calling themselves conservatives came up with a cute derogatory name for the man!

No, gigglin' idiot, you are wrong:

For the uninitiated, ‘Governor Moonbeam’ became Mr. Brown’s intractable sobriquet, dating back to his days as governor between 1975 and 1983, when his state led the nation in pretty much everything — its economy, environmental awareness and, yes, class-A eccentrics.

The nickname was coined by Mike Royko, the famed Chicago columnist, who in 1976 said that Mr. Brown appeared to be attracting “the moonbeam vote,” which in Chicago political parlance meant young, idealistic and nontraditional.

The term had a nice California feel, and Mr. Royko eventually began applying it when he wrote about the Golden State’s young, idealistic and nontraditional chief executive. He found endless amusement — and sometimes outright agita — in California’s oddities, calling the state “the world’s largest outdoor mental asylum.”

“If it babbles and its eyeballs are glazed,” he noted in April 1979, “it probably comes from California.”

I am a life long California Republican and I say NO BAILOUT! The Liberal Democrats that control LA and San Fran which seems to control the entire state need to deal with what they have created. Nothing in this country should be too big to fail. Not the Banks, Not the States, NOTHING. Either they can do what they have promised or they can fail and negotiate something they can live with. It Is Not The Federal Governments Place To Bail Any State Out.California has made it's bed and now they can sleep in it.( bet you haven't heard that saying for a while)

Here's one who's real world application has, apparently, fell into disrepute:

A Penny Saved is a Penny Earned.

I know how lonely you might feel, I'm from South Jersey, but things are starting to look up now that Conservative rock star Chris Christie is working his magic!
Let's see him make his Past disappear!!!!!!

490.gif
528.gif

Do you know why the conservabots called Brown "moonbeam"? This is a riot. Back in the early 70s, Brown had this whacked idea that we should like, get this, put a ring of, Omigod, I'm giggling when i think of it, satellites around the planet. LOL! Yeah, the idiot thought it would be a good idea to "beam" communications signals off these sattelites and thereby, what a moron, have near instantaneous global communications!

Can you believe it? No wonder the neanderthalls calling themselves conservatives came up with a cute derogatory name for the man!

Wrong again dipshit. That is NOTwhy Royko dubbed him Moonbeam. Really, educate yourself, just a little, before you post such idiocy.

No, gigglin' idiot, you are wrong:

For the uninitiated, ‘Governor Moonbeam’ became Mr. Brown’s intractable sobriquet, dating back to his days as governor between 1975 and 1983, when his state led the nation in pretty much everything — its economy, environmental awareness and, yes, class-A eccentrics.

The nickname was coined by Mike Royko, the famed Chicago columnist, who in 1976 said that Mr. Brown appeared to be attracting “the moonbeam vote,” which in Chicago political parlance meant young, idealistic and nontraditional.

The term had a nice California feel, and Mr. Royko eventually began applying it when he wrote about the Golden State’s young, idealistic and nontraditional chief executive. He found endless amusement — and sometimes outright agita — in California’s oddities, calling the state “the world’s largest outdoor mental asylum

“If it babbles and its eyeballs are glazed,” he noted in April 1979, “it probably comes from California.”

Didn't realize you had already pointed out the Mike Royko connection... not that it will sink in on LiberalTestes

Well, I do remember being a bit jealous of Moonbeam, afterall, he was boinking Linda Ronstadt.

Obama promised LA RAZA that he would educate the beaners if it took every peso left in YOUR pockets.:lol:

Here's Jose.:( The world's oldest living kindergardener!

Of course not, it was their wreckless spending and policies that got them into this mess. They have shown that they won't change their "spots" if they were to be bailed out. Ca. has a unique group of liberals that doesn't understand financing.
So not just "no", hell no.

Maybe the criminal CEO's, executives and traders who made out like bandits before the fall(not the little employees, of course... they lost everything) could give back the 30 billion or so that they pillaged from California when they deregulated. Does anyone stop and think that shit like THIS could be a big part of their problem?

Enron defrauded California out of billions during energy crisis

There are 3 states whose profligate spending and generous deals with public employees put them in danger of bankruptcy: NJ, NY, and CA.

NJ has started to address its spending problem with Gov. Christie, NY has yet to address it but come next year perhaps the new Governor will do so but CA is arguably worse off then both of them for two mains reasons. Its noble attempts at inexpensive higher education, generous benefit package for state employees, its own Cap and Trade and other public spending promise to deliver them unto penury. Second and probably more importantly is the very mindset of leftist dependency on the government shared by a significant amount of the CA electorate. If the populace has become so dependent on public spending and subsidies that the dreaded tipping point of no return to personal responsibility has been reached, should the rest of America bail them out? Would doing so present moral hazard writ large?

JM

At some point we need to stop rewarding Fiscally irresponsible States with Bail outs. All that does is encourage them not to fix the problems that are leading to them needing bail outs.

basically we are encouraging Cali to continue Expanding its unsustainable Social Programs, and doing things like encouraging Illegal Immigration when they spend Billions on it.

Might be time to start talking about a procedure for States to go through some sort of re organizational Bankruptcy. Something where they could do things like Renegotiate Pensions, and contracts with Unions, and actually get serious about cutting spending to get their Fiscal House in order.

Of course not, it was their wreckless spending and policies that got them into this mess. They have shown that they won't change their "spots" if they were to be bailed out. Ca. has a unique group of liberals that doesn't understand financing.
So not just "no", hell no.

Maybe the criminal CEO's, executives and traders who made out like bandits before the fall(not the little employees, of course... they lost everything) could give back the 30 billion or so that they pillaged from California when they deregulated. Does anyone stop and think that shit like THIS could be a big part of their problem?

Enron defrauded California out of billions during energy crisis

Californians are in the mess they are in because of fiscal irresponsibility on a galactic level.

END OF STORY. FUCK CA.

I don't think we should get a bail out either. But, it would be nice to decline paying anything into the federal government since we're tight on money at this time. I'm sure the Feds will understand.

There are 3 states whose profligate spending and generous deals with public employees put them in danger of bankruptcy: NJ, NY, and CA.

NJ has started to address its spending problem with Gov. Christie, NY has yet to address it but come next year perhaps the new Governor will do so but CA is arguably worse off then both of them for two mains reasons. Its noble attempts at inexpensive higher education, generous benefit package for state employees, its own Cap and Trade and other public spending promise to deliver them unto penury. Second and probably more importantly is the very mindset of leftist dependency on the government shared by a significant amount of the CA electorate. If the populace has become so dependent on public spending and subsidies that the dreaded tipping point of no return to personal responsibility has been reached, should the rest of America bail them out? Would doing so present moral hazard writ large?

JM

Sounds like a verb to me?

vb
1. (Life Sciences & Allied Applications / Agriculture) to make (hay, etc.) into a bale or bales
2. to put (goods) into packages or cartons
3. Austral and NZ to pack and compress (wool) into wool bales See also bail out

Yep, bale it up and ship it out.

I Thought he was Talking about Removing the Batman Ride from Six Flags... :lol:

:)

peace...

Californians are in the mess they are in because of fiscal irresponsibility on a galactic level.

END OF STORY. FUCK CA.

Really, O' simple one? How would your state be faring today if it had lost 30 billion dollars. Oh, that's right. Your state DID and how are you recovering? YOU ARE GETTING BAILED OUT, that's how! And it's ok just because it was considered a natural disaster instead of a manmade one, right? How would your poor-ass state be faring if you got robbed of 30 billion dollars with no recourse? You can return to bowing to lord corporation now.

Forum List

Back