Should the U.S. declare Afghanistan a U.S. protectorate?

Afghanistan was getting there before the Soviets invaded.
1960’s Afghanistan Was Very Different Before The Taliban
Wars destroy societies and allow extremists to flourish where they would otherwise remain at the fringes; it's sad but true.

Perhaps the U.S. should spend more on educating Afghans and building infrastructure.
I wonder if that time has gone. For various reasons Afghanistan was a failed state and fertile ground for extremists.
There was no plan for the country post invasion and generations to come will pay the price for that.
I dont think that its a US issue either. The West collectively should share the load.

The good news is that they play cricket. That will eventually bring their country to a civilised place.

This is a great story.
Afghanistan’s 13-year journey to cricket’s top table deserves greater reward | Andy Bull

Wars destroy societies and allow extremists to flourish where they would otherwise remain at the fringes; it's sad but true.

Perhaps the U.S. should spend more on educating Afghans and building infrastructure.

No.

Why? Didn't the Marshall Plan help rebuild Europe?

Because it is not 1948, and because it is ridiculous for us to borrow money for such a purpose.

No.

Because it is not 1948, and because it is ridiculous for us to borrow money for such a purpose.
A settled Afghanistan would probably save the US billions over the years. Why not just buy their heroin crop ?

No.

A settled Afghanistan would probably save the US billions over the years. Why not just buy their heroin crop ?

The Middle East will not be settled for the forseeable future.

I wonder how much the UK would be willing to chip in for such a venture?

No.

I think that everybody would support a long term strategy to bring peace. I would rather we spent money on that than on bombs.

I think that everybody would support a long term strategy to bring peace. I would rather we spent money on that than on bombs.

Considering human nature and current global tensions, I would prefer to cut out all the nonsensically useless programs upon which we currently throw money away and substantially up the military budget here.

Human nature and peace. You want peace? You either win or kneel to get peace.

No.

The U.S. has spent far more destroying the country and creating hatred that it will have to spend much more fighting in future. There's an old maxim about making friends out of enemies, Martin Luther King got it,

“Now there is a final reason I think that Jesus says, "Love your enemies." It is this: that love has within it a redemptive power. And there is a power there that eventually transforms individuals. Just keep being friendly to that person. Just keep loving them, and they can’t stand it too long. Oh, they react in many ways in the beginning. They react with guilt feelings, and sometimes they’ll hate you a little more at that transition period, but just keep loving them. And by the power of your love they will break down under the load. That’s love, you see. It is redemptive, and this is why Jesus says love. There’s something about love that builds up and is creative. There is something about hate that tears down and is destructive. So love your enemies. (from "Loving Your Enemies")”
Martin Luther King Jr., A Knock at Midnight: Inspiration from the Great Sermons of Reverend Martin Luther King, Jr.

Considering human nature and current global tensions, I would prefer to cut out all the nonsensically useless programs upon which we currently throw money away and substantially up the military budget here.

What a brutal world you must live in, I'm sorry for you.

No.

The U.S. has spent far more destroying the country and creating hatred that it will have to spend much more fighting in future. There's an old maxim about making friends out of enemies, Martin Luther King got it,

“Now there is a final reason I think that Jesus says, "Love your enemies." It is this: that love has within it a redemptive power. And there is a power there that eventually transforms individuals. Just keep being friendly to that person. Just keep loving them, and they can’t stand it too long. Oh, they react in many ways in the beginning. They react with guilt feelings, and sometimes they’ll hate you a little more at that transition period, but just keep loving them. And by the power of your love they will break down under the load. That’s love, you see. It is redemptive, and this is why Jesus says love. There’s something about love that builds up and is creative. There is something about hate that tears down and is destructive. So love your enemies. (from "Loving Your Enemies")”
Martin Luther King Jr., A Knock at Midnight: Inspiration from the Great Sermons of Reverend Martin Luther King, Jr.

Jesus presented us with many ideals he knew would be impossible for man to reach. That was the point. He made it plain that to be like him, one has to live like him.

Now, if all men had such a nature, it would easily work. But it is not a usual state of human nature, which Jesus understood quite well, even objectively as a Jew under Roman occupation.

We are presented today with an incorrigible enemy, diametrically opposed to the West and happy to die to destroy it and replace it with their disguised totalitarian system.

"Friendly" won't work.

It's the same world you live in.

Open your other eye, Polyphemus.

No.

Jesus presented us with many ideals he knew would be impossible for man to reach. That was the point. He made it plain that to be like him, one has to live like him.

Now, if all men had such a nature, it would easily work. But it is not a usual state of human nature, which Jesus understood quite well, even objectively as a Jew under Roman occupation.

We are presented today with an incorrigible enemy, diametrically opposed to the West and happy to die to destroy it and replace it with their disguised totalitarian system.

"Friendly" won't work.

No.

"Friendly" won't work.
So "KILL EVERYBODY" is actually a very Christian response ?

"Friendly" won't work.

"Friendly" won't work.

Point out where I said that.

What is it with some people? Is there a voice in their head changing the narration of what they are reading? It seems to occur with the Left on this board quite often.

It's the same world you live in.

Open your other eye, Polyphemus.

Both my eyes are open, thank you and I see the world for what it is. We have tried the win or kneel approach for centuries, isn't the very definition of insanity, to do the same thing over and over and expect a different result?

Perhaps it's time to try a different way.

"Friendly" won't work.

"Friendly" won't work.

What is it with some people? Is there a voice in their head changing the narration of what they are reading? It seems to occur with the Left on this board quite often.
Its the logical progression of your view point. They hate us, we cant be friends, they are going to have to die.

"Friendly" won't work.

"Friendly" won't work.

Its the logical progression of your view point. They hate us, we cant be friends, they are going to have to die.

No, they simply need to not export their violence beyond their own borders.

If they do, then yes, they get stomped by request.

No.

He was truly a great man. That little paragraph described the power of love so beautifully.

Forum List

Back