Should the U.S. Adopt a Civics Test in Order to Vote?

Should there be a civics test a person has to pass in order to be able to vote?

• Yes

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • No

Votes: 8 47.1%

• Total voters

Lewdog

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2016
Williamsburg, KY
Just like the title says... do you think voters should prove they understand how the government and voting process works in order to be eligible to vote? It's not something I necessarily agree on, but watching some members on this forum that have no idea how some parts of the government works, or know some of the laws has got me wondering if they understand what they are doing when they get in the voting booth.

Businesses will be created that teach a bunch of idiots the absolute basic info they need to know to vote. The only successful ones will be the ones funded by the parties and by their special interest groups. Instead of voter registration, political races will be about how many partisan fools the 2 parties can train to vote for them.

As much as I wish that those who voted did so only on the basis of having knowledge and understanding of the issues on which they are voting, and the likely results of the outcome of those votes; I fear that any effort to impose any sort of “civics test” would unavoidably end up being abused in the same manner that literacy tests and poll taxes have been used in the past, to unjustly deny voting rights to certain groups.

Just like the title says... do you think voters should prove they understand how the government and voting process works in order to be eligible to vote? It's not something I necessarily agree on, but watching some members on this forum that have no idea how some parts of the government works, or know some of the laws has got me wondering if they understand what they are doing when they get in the voting booth.
Nope.

That said, we need to go back to teaching civics

Businesses will be created that teach a bunch of idiots the absolute basic info they need to know to vote. The only successful ones will be the ones funded by the parties and by their special interest groups. Instead of voter registration, political races will be about how many partisan fools the 2 parties can train to vote for them.

I don't see the negative in that. What's wrong with having the political parties spending money on educating the voting base? Isn't that better than political parties just giving money to large corporations or spending the money on attack ads that have nothing to do with issues?

You can just acknowledge that you're too stupid to vote and leave it at that, Lewd.

Nope.

I find myself in the rare position of agreeing with Jillian.

One problem is test design, and another is test administration. I can see this turning quite quickly into a test of ideological purity to be able to vote.

We should go back to teaching civics, as well as the histories of America and West Civilization so that voters understand the philosophical foundations and prices paid to come up with the system to preserve our liberty.

As much as I wish that those who voted did so only on the basis of having knowledge and understanding of the issues on which they are voting, and the likely results of the outcome of those votes; I fear that any effort to impose any sort of “civics test” would unavoidably end up being abused in the same manner that literacy tests and poll taxes have been used in the past, to unjustly deny voting rights to certain groups.
Articulate. But that would work against the left which relies in the dregs of humanity.

I can't imagine why it isn't a requirement. It's not the same as a property requirement or material criteria, and anybody voting who doesn't even know what the offices do or how the government is organized isn't voting on anything butpartisan politics and personality, like the women who voted for Jimmy Carter just because he 'had a nice smile'..

There could be three tests, one each for local, state, and federal, so people could vote in any they pass the test for or all of them. People who aren't up to par can take night classes at any local school, either by paid teachers or qualified volunteers, but using current political science teachers is the best option.

And no foreign languages, just English;; if they don't want to learn to speak the official language, they don't really want to vote. If they're too old or have some other reasonable circumstance, like being a refugee, a real one and not some fake economic parasite just here to steal, some slack can be allowed, I suppose, but their voting would be based on passing citizenship tests anyway, so they are likely to already be up to par anyway. via their studies, , probably more so than many ' natives'.

Nope.

One problem is test design, and another is test administration. I can see this turning quite quickly into a test of ideological purity to be able to vote.

We should go back to teaching civics, as well as the histories of America and West Civilization so that voters understand the philosophical foundations and prices paid to come up with the system to preserve our liberty.

Well, that argument is simplistic; if we're not going to do anything because of possible 'corruption', then there is no point in having laws, government, hospitals, roads, churches, or anything else, because all of those can be 'corrupted' too. We should just rely on anarchy and Darwinism and not even bother with voting at all.

We had restrictions of one kind or another from our beginnings as a country; did we suddenly get less 'corrupt' after the Voting Rights Acts were passed? Are black politicians less corrupt? Latino pols? Anybody?

The courses can easily be taught the same as they were in the past, when they were required for high school and college.

Last edited:

You would need an ammendment to the constitution and good luck doing that...

And it is ironic you starting a thread about people not knowing ...

Nope.

Well, that argument is simplistic; if we're not going to do anything because of possible 'corruption', then there is no point in having laws, government, hospitals, roads, or anything else, because all of those can be 'corrupted' too. We should just rely on anarchy and Darwinism and not even bother with voting at all.

It's quite grounded in present day reality. Progs control almost all public education. They oppose the Electoral College, Federalism and other aspects of our Constitutional Republic which thwart their ability to control the rest of us. They go especially bonkers when they lose. Witness the unhinged hysteria about Kavanaugh and their attempts to smear and delegitimize him. I'd rather not have people like that decide what Civics to teach and what tests to design. As Progs promote Big Government, they are firmly entrenched in the bureaucracy and would have ample opportunity to design and enforce ideological purity via a civics test requirement to vote.

If you think that is not possible, take a look at what is going on on Google, FB and Twitter these days. Consider the suppression of conservative viewpoints a preview of coming Prog attractions.

You would need an amendment to the constitution and good luck doing that...

True, and only political parties have the means to even attempt an Amendment campaign, unless they do so within Congress; the latter probably the the only one with a remote chance.of happening, very remote.

Nope.

Well, that argument is simplistic; if we're not going to do anything because of possible 'corruption', then there is no point in having laws, government, hospitals, roads, or anything else, because all of those can be 'corrupted' too. We should just rely on anarchy and Darwinism and not even bother with voting at all.

It's quite grounded in present day reality. Progs control almost all public education. They oppose the Electoral College, Federalism and other aspects of our Constitutional Republic which thwart their ability to control the rest of us. They go especially bonkers when they lose. Witness the unhinged hysteria about Kavanaugh and their attempts to smear and delegitimize him. I'd rather not have people like that decide what Civics to teach and what tests to design. As Progs promote Big Government, they are firmly entrenched in the bureaucracy and would have ample opportunity to design and enforce ideological purity via a civics test requirement to vote.

If you think that is not possible, take a look at what is going on on Google, FB and Twitter these days. Consider the suppression of conservative viewpoints a preview of coming Prog attractions.

And all of those are being exposed, and aren't supported by the public; if the public doesn't care, and doesn't change it, then the whole issue is moot anyway. Things get that way precisely because the stupid, illiterate, and uninformed were allowed to vote. You also over-estimate how long the current status quo is going to be allowed to operate.

Nope.

And all of those are being exposed, and aren't supported by the public; if the public doesn't care, and doesn't change it, then the whole issue is moot anyway. Things get that way precisely because the stupid, illiterate, and uninformed were allowed to vote. You also over-estimate how long the current status quo is going to be allowed to operate.

Ah. Are you suggesting that some sort of Anointed Elite is going to save the Deplorables from themselves?

You would need an amendment to the constitution and good luck doing that...

True, and only political parties have the means to even attempt an Amendment campaign, unless they do so within Congress; the latter probably the the only one with a remote chance.of happening, very remote.

I like it just the way it is, anyone can pretty much vote or not vote and any US citizen can grow up and pretty much become president...the way it should be.

No because the test will be biased toward liberal candidates.

No because the test will be biased toward liberal candidates.

Yea their will be skewed questions like climate change, evolution and crap that doesn't have anything to do with it.

So let me ask... we have a standard test to become a U.S. citizen, so why could we not have a standard test to be able to vote?

So let me ask... we have a standard test to become a U.S. citizen, so why could we not have a standard test to be able to vote?

No because the test will be biased toward liberal candidates. How many times do I have to tell you?

Forum List

Back