Should the President Make $20 Million a Year?

I keep hearing that we should bring government workers' compensation more in line with private workers. Never mind that it already is, but just for the sake of argument, if we are going to pay the public sector like the private sector, shouldn't we pay the President as much if not more than the CEO? After all, he's more important than any CEO! So let's pay the President $20 million a year.

Larry Ellison made $85 million in 2009, so $20 million is a bargain!

20 highest paid CEOs - Larry Ellison: $84.5 million (1) - CNNMoney.com

Larry Ellison is the Founder of Oracle, and most his his earning are from the gain on stock. He has helped create hundreds of thousands of jobs (if not more) via direct Oracle employees, the reseller network, and the need for employees to implement and manage Oracle product implementations.

So, unless you want to argue that the President OWNS the U.S. and deserves returns on his equity, try again.

BTW, Oracle's stock has been driven down quite deeply in the past, and Larry has lost more wealth in one year than the earnings you quote above.

EDIT: It's also important to note that Oracle is a highly profitable company, with Net Income AFTER TAX of over 22%. Compare that to The One running $T+ deficits. Larry wouldn't earn his level of income if Oracle ran at a 40% loss.

Last edited:
and the ceos of the lending industry recieved millions for trashing the world economy

Riddle me this TMN,

How on earth do you get through each day without putting a bullet in your brain?

*concerned*

boe

I keep hearing that we should bring government workers' compensation more in line with private workers. Never mind that it already is, but just for the sake of argument, if we are going to pay the public sector like the private sector, shouldn't we pay the President as much if not more than the CEO? After all, he's more important than any CEO! So let's pay the President $20 million a year.

Larry Ellison is the Founder of Oracle, and most his his earning are from the gain on stock. He has helped create hundreds of thousands of jobs (if not more) via direct Oracle employees, the reseller network, and the need for employees to implement and manage Oracle product implementations.

So, unless you want to argue that the President OWNS the U.S. and deserves returns on his equity, try again.

BTW, Oracle's stock has been driven down quite deeply in the past, and Larry has lost more wealth in one year than the earnings you quote above.

EDIT: It's also important to note that Oracle is a highly profitable company, with Net Income AFTER TAX of over 22%. Compare that to The One running $T+ deficits. Larry wouldn't earn his level of income if Oracle ran at a 40% loss.

And how many of Oracle's employees were educated in public schools, and/or state colleges, and/or with government paid scholarships/assistance?

All at no expense to Larry Ellison, other than a portion of his taxes...

Translation of NYCarbineerese: Waaaaaahhhhhh!!!!! Somebody is more successful than MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All of those jobs created by Larry generate tax receipts for the government: income, property, sales tax, corporate income taxes...

The government didn't create those jobs, but feeds quite richly off of them.

Should the president make 20 million?

If it earns it in the private sector, sure.

As a presidential salary, no.

Why do you think our government should not seek the best and brightest to serve her?

It doesnt work that way in the private sector.

Its only reason to exsist is profit remember.

I just heard last night on the history channel it costs like 1.5 billion dollars a year to live like the president if you include security and air force one maintenance. Maybe we really should only give him 20 million a year. Works for me.

If they want to serve this country, fine let them serve. They should all be paid minimum wage.

I find that embarrassing Syrenn. It should be the average of top wage, which would be somewhere in the middle. Is that the way you would treat me as an employee?

Actually i pay very well, and pay what people are truly worth.

I have issues with "public servants" milking the very public they are "supposed" to be serving. If you want to serve...then serve.

The president in particular makes plenty in the way of perks.

Last edited:
An elected official is NOT an employee per say but rather a temp.

Show me where a Kelly girl gets paid 20 million a year.

Forum List

Back