Should the mods/admins enforce Zone 2 Rules in the Politics Forum?

Should the Political Forum not allow flaming/name calling?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
And which racists would that be? That is the problem. Who is judge and jury?

You know them when they spew their nonsense. I am not saying ban the raging racist immediately. Give them a chance to clean up their act...but when they spew their nonsense...gone! When they come back and do it again...gone!

Pretty simple.

Is this pertaining to just the political forum or all forums not in the FZ?

I thought Nutz wanted to rid the board of racists and that was going to solve everything.

Politics evokes emotional responses, This board has strongly opinionated people. Mods and admin don't need to police every thread every waking moment. Conduct yourself as you will.

It will. Get rid of the racists and the forum would be 100% better.

Then learn to ignore them and stop encouraging them with replies.

I agree with this also. The best way to deal with trolls and name callers is to ignore their posts. I skim right over those or put them on ignore if they are repeat offenders.

If no one responds, it's hard for them to continue.

It is like legislating morality. You either have it or you don't. Further, it is the weak ones who allow the trolls to be rewarded. Regulate yourself and ignore/report those with bad behavior.

No-picture zones would cut a great deal of the trolling. 90% of the graphics posted are flamebaiting and trash that contributes nothing to discussions. Picture-spamming is the favored tactic used by the mouthbreathers to derail threads.

No-picture zones would cut a great deal of the trolling. 90% of the graphics posted are flamebaiting and trash that contributes nothing to discussions. Picture-spamming is the favored tactic used by the mouthbreathers to derail threads.

but but but ... I use them because I can't type very much. They state my opinion with a lot fewer key strokes.

I think flaming should only be in the FZ. If you want to attack a person's position in politics or their post, so be it. If you want to have a heated political debate fine. There is no need for name calling, flaming, and trolling. Mainly because it drives people away and diminishes quality conversations. Like I said in that link, I used to post in politics frequently until I got sick of the same trolls derailing every conversation with insults and hyper-partisan rhetoric. It's fine if people's minds are made up, but then you have to realize that and debate to discuss the issue rather than to prove who is right. The best debaters are those willing to listen to logical, rational, fact-based arguments with an open mind. So much of what is posted, is not fact-based, but bias politically so it is tough to weed through it.

^^^^^^^

Here! Here!

I thought Nutz wanted to rid the board of racists and that was going to solve everything.

Politics evokes emotional responses, This board has strongly opinionated people. Mods and admin don't need to police every thread every waking moment. Conduct yourself as you will.

Then learn to ignore them and stop encouraging them with replies.

Like I said, it is entertainment. If the site wants to be a racist flame site...then so be it, I will conform to whatever direction they take.

And which racists would that be? That is the problem. Who is judge and jury?

This. There are some racists on this board, but there are also race-baiters and people who see racism where there is none.

I have seen the ban racist a lot on here is that going to apply to all racist or just the liberal idea of racism which seems to be white conservatives saying anything about any non white? Would the ban include religious racism meaning those who unfairly trash and insult people of faith? What about people who launch racist attacks against black and Hispanic conservatives? This might fall under sexism instead of racism but what about people who launch hateful attacks on conservative women? Before you walk down the road of banning people for perceived racism remember your idea of free speech may very well be someone else's idea of racism.

I have seen the ban racist a lot on here is that going to apply to all racist or just the liberal idea of racism which seems to be white conservatives saying anything about any non white? Would the ban include religious racism meaning those who unfairly trash and insult people of faith? What about people who launch racist attacks against black and Hispanic conservatives? This might fall under sexism instead of racism but what about people who launch hateful attacks on conservative women? Before you walk down the road of banning people for perceived racism remember your idea of free speech may very well be someone else's idea of racism.

I am talking about blatant racism. The SJ's who call black people porch monkey. The warwulf's who straight up throws out the N word when talking about blacks. We aren't talking about political philosophy, we are talking about getting rid of assholes.

I would be included, calling all Germans hate and full of bloodlust...that would be unacceptable. Calling all Teapers racists would be a no-no. It isn't that difficult. Think of it as anti-asshole as opposed to anti-racist.

Would that include attacks on people of faith?

I believe if the people here will begin by being polite and considerate toward others they will be polite and considerate in return. You can be firm and make your point without a personal name calling, or attack and if the other side does it repeatedly, surely the moderators will consider this bullying or harrassment and enforce the rules that already exist for such a matter. But if you go down the road of demanding that the management bring more restrictions, more rules upon your forum then you may find in the end that these restrictions are impinging more on your own freedoms than those you wish to bring into alignment today. It is a two edged sword you are considering so I would think carefully for what you are requesting. Another matter to consider is that the opposite point of view is necessary for a lively debate and if you begin to crush the dissenting voice perhaps it will harm the forum more than what you perceive is harming it right now. I'm an advocate of self control & small government. The more freedom, the greater the society.

* On the matter of deciding a truth in a debate - why not use the bull ring? Then announce the outcome on this forum and the matter will be settled. ( hopefully )

I for one am not interested in more rules or more policing, there is more than enough of that already. Sometimes discussions get heated, sometimes folks lose their cool and cut loose with a flame. It happens. But we are all adults, allegedly, and there is no reason we can not police ourselves.

That's just my opinion, but I could be wrong...

I haven't read past the first page, but I agree with hjmick. I like USMB because I don't have to walk around on eggshells unless I accidentally stumble into the clean zone. USMB provides more choices for posters than it ever has in the past, and yet some want more rules...I don't get that, and I really hope that admin doesn't start trying to babysit everyone all across the board. It would definitely lose some of it's entertainment value, and like it or not, that's why a lot of people continue to patronize the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back