Should the man who slipped through security at Newark be prosecuted?

Should the man who slipped through the security at Newark's airport be prosecuted?

• Total voters
So Sen. Lautenberg in New Jersey is screaming that the guy committed a "terrible, terrible offense, and he has to pay a price," and is asking for the guy to turn himself in. Of course, that call is going to ensure that the culprit never voluntarily shows his face and Lautenberg should be verbally castrated for putting it that way if he really wanted the guy to surrender, but irregardless, assuming this guy wasn't trying to commit a terroristic act, do we really want to prosecute this guy?

ETA: I erroneously assumed everyone was aware of this story and omitted a link. Here's the story...

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/01/07/nj.security.breach/

Last edited:
The only crime that the man committed was making airport security look bad. Calling for his prosecution is ridiculous, and shutting down the airport for something like 6 hours is a severe overreaction.

So Sen. Lautenberg in New Jersey is screaming that the guy committed a "terrible, terrible offense, and he has to pay a price," and is asking for the guy to turn himself in. Of course, that call is going to ensure that the culprit never voluntarily shows his face and Lautenberg should be verbally castrated for putting it that way if he really wanted the guy to surrender, but irregardless, assuming this guy wasn't trying to commit a terroristic act, do we really want to prosecute this guy?

I don't know the full story on this as you give no link. However, if someone is able to slip through airport security there is only one course of action where prosecution is concerned. Those responsible for airport security are the ones who should be prosecuted. It is their inability or incompetence at preventing such security lapses that is in question. It is their neglect that places passengers at risk. At the very least, they should be fired...with enthusiasm!

I agree with Colin, government should prosecute airport authorities and not the person who slipped away.
They can fine the person but prosecution is way to harsh.

I'd consider the security that was asleep at the wheel is more of a concern than the apparent love sick individual who slipped through while they were sleeping. If anything the guy exposed, again, how inept much of airport security is.

I'd consider the security that was asleep at the wheel is more of a concern than the apparent love sick individual who slipped through while they were sleeping. If anything the guy exposed, again, how inept much of airport security is.

YOur right. He did expose lax security via the guard who stepped away to take a call.

On the other side of that he knew he wasn't supposed to go there, the guard had already stopped him once. What does he do?? The minute the guard is gone he goes on through. He shut down the airport and caused a vast amount of inconvenience and in some cases panic to those waiting for flights.

The guy was a total inconsiderate asshole. He didn't care that he would cause a panic in the airport. Cause delays in all flights. All so he could say goodbye to his girl???? Jeeze, call the lady.

The guard was paid to protect the terminal. He left his assigned post.
The guy walked through an unprotected gate to kiss his girlfriend good bye. If anything give the guy a medal and a parade for demonstrating how weak the security was

KeefeM20100108_low.jpg

YOur right. He did expose lax security via the guard who stepped away to take a call.

On the other side of that he knew he wasn't supposed to go there, the guard had already stopped him once. What does he do?? The minute the guard is gone he goes on through. He shut down the airport and caused a vast amount of inconvenience and in some cases panic to those waiting for flights.

The guy was a total inconsiderate asshole. He didn't care that he would cause a panic in the airport. Cause delays in all flights. All so he could say goodbye to his girl???? Jeeze, call the lady.

:lol: Seems like he's watched too many romantic movies!

I think the security guard should be held accountable for being lax in his duties AND the individual who knowingly breached security should also be held accountable for his actions as well. His intentions could only be known after the fact and are beside the point.

Last edited:
The way I see it, under normal circumstances, as in, had he been caught in the airport for doing that, I'd prosecute. Since this has raised a security question and at this point since fixing that is more important than what this man was doing in that area, I think for the sake of finding out how this happened, he should be given immunity so he can testify to the TSA how this went down and why he did it. It seems unlikely at this point that any terrorism was intended.

And thanks Noose4 for taking advantage of that outlet. Yes, feel free...

do you have a link to an article about this so I can read before I vote and comment?

do you have a link to an article about this so I can read before I vote and comment?

Yeah, I guess I should've done that... apologies.

TSA: Employee's actions led to Newark security breach - CNN.com

The story is mostly focusing on the security officer who left his station before the man snuck into the "sterile" area, but I was concentrating on Sen. Lautenberg's comments near the end:

Sen. Frank R. Lautenberg, D-New Jersey, who requested the release of the Continental surveillance video, called on the man to turn himself in to authorities, saying, "You've committed what essentially is a crime."

"He committed a terrible, terrible offense, and he has to pay a price ... that relates to the havoc and the discomfort he caused this place," Lautenberg told reporters at the airport Thursday night.

Last edited:

Yeah, I guess I should've done that... apologies.

TSA: Employee's actions led to Newark security breach - CNN.com

no worries.

Wow this is a tough one, I mean the guy was just going to greet someone but at the same time he did disobey the security rules.

I dont think he did anything that warrants spending the taxpayers money on court proceedings but at the same time he needs some kind of reprimand for breaking security rules..

Im voting now and its public so you will see what i pick :)

How about we just realize that nationalizing airport security didnt do jack to make us safer and privatize security as it should be. That way they can do whatever the heck they have to do to keep us safe without the restrictions that being a federal employee automatically provides.

Forum List

Back