Should the homeless be allowed to vote?

WOW !!

I have to ask you if you think by your logic owning a McMansion and working at a job, any job, be it CEO of Enron, would then entitle you to more than one vote?

The homeless in this country are so disenfranchised that some people would deny them the right to vote for candidates who might help them out of their situation. That blows my mind!

It's a fallacy to believe that all homeless b people do not work. Many do. They live in shelters or wherever they can at night and blend into the workforce during the day. Many of the homeless are people who have worked all their lives and have found themselves out of luck.

I would even suggest that the homeless use up less resources in this country and for that reason they should be respected, not despised because they don't zip around in private jets and displace the lower classes in inner cities so they can have a spacious pied à terre.

At one time only property owners could vote. I'm guessing some people would like us to go back to that.

of course not. No one is entitled to more than one vote...

however, there are a lot of homeless people who are mentally ill and therefore incapable of making an informed decision. They COULD easily be manipulated into voting for someone or something that is against their interests.

Look, I said it was a hard question to answer and it is.

I live in Florida. We have a HUGE homeless population. In fact I come to work every day and see no less than 50 people sleeping on the sidewalk in front of City Hall. Our mayor does NOTHING to help them. I think that sucks. BUT I also see them walking around, seemingly able to get jobs and get into shelters and get back on their feet.

IF they reside in a shelter then yes they should be able to vote. IF they can verify their status as a citizen who is eligible to vote, then yes they should be able to vote. HOWEVER, many do not carry even simple ID. and trust me, I know this because I volunteer at a homeless shelter designed to transition them back into society and we have to obtain indentification for these people 90% of the time.

I'm sure it's shocking that I'd hold this view since I've been branded a dirty liberal but IMO, you should contribute to society in order to have a voice in that society.

We can either just show our DL, which gets swiped, or show our voter's registration and sign a form...I think. Last time I voted was the first time they required only the DL. My precinct is at a Honda dealer where they give out coffee and donuts and little tools to break out your window if you drive into a canal, lol. I guess that could bring the homeless in. :)

cooooolll. mine is just at a volunteer fire station. nothing fun there

you should contribute to society in order to have a voice in that society.

If that was what was needed in order to qualify for the right to vote how much of the population would actually qualifty, in your opinion?

In mine, not many. I see very few people actually contributing to society.

Last edited:
If that was what was needed in order to qualify for the right to vote how much of the population would actually qualifty, in your opinion?

In mine, not many. I see very few people actually contributing to society.

Hey, I'm putting out carbon dioxide to help feed the flora. :D

Forum List

Back