Should The Government Raise The Minimum Wage?

MathewSmith

May 24, 2015
Can you support yourself in today's economy on the current minimum wage? And if you can, you barely get by. I've read the studies and ramifications. And sure the big boys upstairs would feel it in their checkbooks for a short while, but the long run would see great promise. So, how do you think, should the government raise the minimum wage?

Of course we should...Countries that don't have a minimum wage normally have a huge under class of super poor workers that never climb upwards. The wealth gap is expanding and so we must force the rich to pay a little more. ;) We must also make it harder for them to outsource and raise their taxes.

Can you support yourself in today's economy on the current minimum wage? And if you can, you barely get by. I've read the studies and ramifications. And sure the big boys upstairs would feel it in their checkbooks for a short while, but the long run would see great promise. So, how do you think, should the government raise the minimum wage?

I think there should be a couple of "minimums" based on how big the business or corp is...Small businesses should have more flexibility with a minimum wage around 8.25 for businesses with income of less then 10 million per year,,,,9.25 for 50 million or less and 10.10 for 500 million per year. This way it doesn't harm business creation but it more fairly forces the big businesses to pay better wages...Maybe as we get to 5 and 10 billion per year corps we can demand 15 bucks per hour.

I feel this would work as most really big businesses are either piling the dollars up in some back room or paying their ceo's/board insane amounts of money.

It should just be done locally, no need to raise it nation wide.

The cost of living is different in New York city then it is in Kingston Tennessee

If minimum wage were increased then Walmart employees wouldn't need to be on welfare.

Well, why not. It seems many of you can't figure out to LIVE your life without Government . Just remember: once you rely on "the Masters in guberment" to start FORCING thing on others that. they can give it and they can also: TAKE it away. what a life in what used to be a free country and people

hell they just jailed a woman for not handing out papers.

Last edited:
Well, why not. It seems many of you can't figure out to LIVE your life without them. Just remember: once you rely on "the Masters in guberment" to start FORCING thing on others that. they can give it and they can also: TAKE it away. what a life in what used to be a free country and people

The problem is the govt is there whether people have minimum wage or not. Minimum wage would help take people OFF welfare.

If minimum wage were increased then Walmart employees wouldn't need to be on welfare.

Once businesses paid their employees right the government could cut billions out of welfare. Our middle class would grow! The conservatives want a large working poor as they only care about the super rich by arguing against a higher minimum wage.

Well, why not. It seems many of you can't figure out to LIVE your life without them. Just remember: once you rely on "the Masters in guberment" to start FORCING thing on others that. they can give it and they can also: TAKE it away. what a life in what used to be a free country and people
You're right. I can't figure out how I would live my life without my paycheck. Bills aren't optional and not all of us have someone else to pay our way for us.

She was jailed for refusing to do her job and misusing her position. I can agree that the punishment doesn't fit the crime, but government employees don't get to say whatever they want or refuse to do their job while on duty.

Last edited:
You're right. I can't figure out how I would live my life without my paycheck. Bills aren't optional and not all of us are rich.

She was jailed for refusing to do her job and misusing her position. I can agree that the punishment doesn't fit the crime, but government employees don't get to say whatever they want or refuse to do their job while on duty.

I wonder if a person knew that when they worked for Government they became their slaves and gave up all their RIGHTS?

I wonder if a person knew that when they worked for Government they became their slaves and gave up all their RIGHTS?
She should have known that giving up certain rights while on shift was part of the job description before she took the job. It's not exactly a secret that you don't get to say and do whatever the hell you want when you work for Uncle Sam.

The problem is the govt is there whether people have minimum wage or not. Minimum wage would help take people OFF welfare.
It would never ever take people off welfare quit trying to B.S. people, they will still be poor and the Government would just raise the threshold.

It would never ever take people off welfare quit trying to B.S. people, they will still be poor and the Government would just raise the threshold.

People actually believe that bs of it would take them off welfare. what it will do is put more people on welfare because it will FORCE businesses to lay off people in order to try and make up for this increase or they will just go out of business because of it. But the Democrat party knows this and that is why they are pushing it so hard. they don't do anything that doesn't have an ulterior motive behind it.

People actually believe that bs of it would take them off welfare. what it will do is put more people on welfare because it will FORCE businesses to lay off people in order to try and make up for this increase or they will just go out of business because of it. But the Democrat party knows this and that is why they are pushing it so hard. they don't do anything that doesn't have an ulterior motive behind it.

Unless of course you look at the implementation of minimum wage, in say, the UK where unemployment stayed at the same levels, it didn't lay people off. Businesses just adapted.

Unless of course you look at the implementation of minimum wage, in say, the UK where unemployment stayed at the same levels, it didn't lay people off. Businesses just adapted.

Why does the moronic left always run to Europe to find some kind of "comparative" example? Does it completely fly over your vapid little heads that you're talking about people of an entirely different culture and way of life, with different cultural upbringings and circumstances? Different laws, different systems, different infrastructure? That most countries in Europe would fit easily in the lone state of Texas? That they don't have entire regions spanning 4 million square miles? That they don't have populations of 350 million? That they don't have 11-20 million illegal aliens crossing their borders? All of these things are factors that the left simply ignores.

When FDR introduced the Minimum Wage in 1933, he said:

No business which depends for existence on paying less than living wages to its workers has any right to continue in this country. By "business" I mean the whole of commerce as well as the whole of industry; by workers I mean all workers, the white collar class as well as the men in overalls; and by living wages I mean more than a bare subsistence level-I mean the wages of decent living.

So here we find ourselves, 82 years later and what is the "Battle Cry" of the liberal left? The above quote could have come from an Obama campaign speech or copied from the latest liberal blog... with maybe the deletion of the "white collar class" comment.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results.

I can assure you, there is not a business man anywhere, who, upon hearing they have raised the minimum wage, is going to say... "wow, I guess I need to go hire some more workers!"

There are, however, businessmen who budgeted for 12 minimum wage employees and will stick to the budget even if that means 10 employees instead. The others will have to pick up the slack, the businessman might have to roll up his sleeves and pitch in-- and he may even eventually work those 2 people back into the budget over time. It will not effect his bottom line.

Forum List

Back