should the government pay the legal fees of people who are acquitted?

That’s what lawsuits are for.

You cannot sue prosecutors for taking you to trial just because they lose the case. You can't even sue them if you can prove that they brought the case maliciously.

"Between 2000 and 2005, 99 percent of the 435,000 federal criminal defendants prosecuted nationwide were convicted" Source: Beating a federal rap not easy - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review Pittsburgh News, Sports, and Events - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review...

A 95% conviction rate reeks of impropriety. That is actually very scary, especially in light of prosecutors being caught pursuing innocent people just because they believe they can get a conviction not because they are guilty. This is basically the power of the federal government convicting anyone they want. 99% is every time.

A 95% conviction rate doesn't reek of impropriety. it means they tend not to prosecute unless they believe they have sufficient evidence.

also, i'm not sure what they base that 95% on. i'd wager it includes guilty pleas, whch form the largest part of the resolutions b/c there is less risk of jail time after a plea than there is after trial.

You cannot sue prosecutors for taking you to trial just because they lose the case. You can't even sue them if you can prove that they brought the case maliciously.

"Between 2000 and 2005, 99 percent of the 435,000 federal criminal defendants prosecuted nationwide were convicted" Source: Beating a federal rap not easy - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review Pittsburgh News, Sports, and Events - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review...

A 95% conviction rate reeks of impropriety. That is actually very scary, especially in light of prosecutors being caught pursuing innocent people just because they believe they can get a conviction not because they are guilty. This is basically the power of the federal government convicting anyone they want. 99% is every time.

A 95% conviction rate doesn't reek of impropriety. it means they tend not to prosecute unless they believe they have sufficient evidence.

also, i'm not sure what they base that 95% on. i'd wager it includes guilty pleas, whch form the largest part of the resolutions b/c there is less risk of jail time after a plea than there is after trial.

Federal prosecutors are just that good, do you really believe that?

I think that would lead to what it already has in civil cases, awarding unheard of amounts of money.

I also do not believe the government should have to pay if there is an acquittal. Prosecutors need to be held responsible, also something that is not done many times--due to the ineptitude in certain government institutions-- and they would be more cautious when bringing criminal charges. That, not monetary compensation, should to the determent.

But hey, what is the federal conviction rate? 95% conviction rate? (Federal conviction rate is amazingly high).

And a lot of those cases are phony as a three dollar bill.

and your proof of that other than your own fantasies?

Look up the history on some cases.
Judi Barri
Leonard Peltier
Mumia Abul Jamal
Sami Al Arian

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9bo5AP2pmc]YouTube - ‪Mumia Abu-Jamal - A Case For Reasonable Doubt Trailer‬‏[/ame]

A ‘false prosecution’ could be construed as malicious – anyone prosecuted and acquitted who believes he was wrongly accused may file a complaint, whether it gains standing or not is another issue.

No, I think she is right. I think that percentage includes all plea deals. I don't know what the percentages are, but I'd venture to say more people are found guilty through plea deals than through going to trial.

I think it should be a jury decision as well in the case. If aquittal then they decide if the govt pays the legal fees or how much of them.

I think that would lead to what it already has in civil cases, awarding unheard of amounts of money.

I also do not believe the government should have to pay if there is an acquittal. Prosecutors need to be held responsible, also something that is not done many times--due to the ineptitude in certain government institutions-- and they would be more cautious when bringing criminal charges. That, not monetary compensation, should to the determent.

But hey, what is the federal conviction rate? 95% conviction rate? (Federal conviction rate is amazingly high).

How are you going to hold any government agent responsible? Conflict of interest. And why shouldn't a suspect who has been publically smeared by government, not have a right to a high unheard amount of taxpayer money? That is how you get rid of corruption, when the public forces agents out of office.

No, I think she is right. I think that percentage includes all plea deals. I don't know what the percentages are, but I'd venture to say more people are found guilty through plea deals than through going to trial.

The public pretenders... er...defenders office in Cleveland only has about 10% of their cases go to trial. Typically, the prosecutor and defense attorney gang up on the defendant and coerce him to plead guilty to something.

A ‘false prosecution’ could be construed as malicious – anyone prosecuted and acquitted who believes he was wrongly accused may file a complaint, whether it gains standing or not is another issue.

You can file all the complaints you want. Prosecutors have absolute immunity for taking you to trial, therefore you cannot sue. Period.

You can file all the complaints you want. Prosecutors have absolute immunity for taking you to trial, therefore you cannot sue. Period.

So the crooks get off free.

I think they probably do include plea deals, but federal prosecutors have way too much power, and often use that power to harass people into pleading guilty. If you were told the probability of you getting convicted and getting sentenced to prison for 20+ years was close to 100% wouldn't you agree to plead guilty and pay a fine? Innocence is not a concept federal prosecutors have to deal with when they decide to go after you because it is all but impossible not to be guilty of something when they have millions of pages of federal laws and regulations to throw at you.

No, 95% of all people accused of crimes are not guilty. It does reek of impropriety, the Nazi's didn't have such a high conviction rate.

I think they probably do include plea deals, but federal prosecutors have way too much power, and often use that power to harass people into pleading guilty. If you were told the probability of you getting convicted and getting sentenced to prison for 20+ years was close to 100% wouldn't you agree to plead guilty and pay a fine? Innocence is not a concept federal prosecutors have to deal with when they decide to go after you because it is all but impossible not to be guilty of something when they have millions of pages of federal laws and regulations to throw at you.

95% conviction rate. 95% I don't know if you've taken a statistics calls lately, but that's absolute certainty. 95%!?!?

Close to 100% conviction rate, if only we could get other areas of government to function so efficiently. One of the men recently indicted did nothing more than mint gold coins that in no way resembled any official US currency--that and he was a critic of the Federal Reserve. He was convicted of counterfeiting--:bsflag:

Yeah you keep telling yourself damn near 100% makes any statistical sense.

Close to 100% conviction rate, if only we could get other areas of government to function so efficiently. One of the men recently indicted did nothing more than mint gold coins that in no way resembled any official US currency--that and he was a critic of the Federal Reserve. He was convicted of counterfeiting--:bsflag:

Talk to jillian about it, she is the one that believes the federal justice system is as pure as the driven snow.

Maybe she is thinking of cocaine.

Talk to jillian about it, she is the one that believes the federal justice system is as pure as the driven snow.

Maybe she is thinking of cocaine.

Convictions should increase as better forsenic evidence technology becomes available, violating civil rights becomes more acceptable as a means to collecting evidence, and laxing of what constitutes probable cause evidence increases.

I sure as hell would not take the prosecutors word for that. If I were going to plead guilty to a lesser crime, I would only do so on the advice of MY attorney, not some prosecutor.

Immie

I sure as hell would not take the prosecutors word for that. If I were going to plead guilty to a lesser crime, I would only do so on the advice of MY attorney, not some prosecutor.

Immie

Trust me, your attorney will so advise you. He is actually required to by the legal code of ethics, even if he believes 100% that you are innocent.

Forum List

Back