Should the American GI be executed for killing the inocents in Afghanistan?

Should the US soldier face the death penalty for the murders in Afghanistan?

• Total voters
If he snapped due to his brain injury in that wreck then his lawyer might declare that it is just cause for him to plead insanity sparing him from the death penalty. Lets see what the medical brain scan results are.

Lets not get to busy with the punishment part. First determine if he was competent etc.

If he was that wack as to escape conviction shouldn't his CO bare some responsibility for not relieving him of his duty?

I just don't buy the suddenly snapped excuse. Although I can't imagine the pressure. His peers can though I'm sure.

If he snapped due to his brain injury in that wreck then his lawyer might declare that it is just cause for him to plead insanity sparing him from the death penalty. Lets see what the medical brain scan results are.

I have not heard about this. Maybe I jumped the gun. Do you have a link to his injury and timeline?

We follow the rules of the constitution and the USMJ to the letter. Killing 1 or 12 innocent civilians he faces the music.

It will be interesting to see if his attys try an insanity plea. That really is hard to do.
DIMINISHED capacity could spare him from death.

Mudslinger, DIMINISHED capacity could be used in mitigation. It isn't a black/white SANE/INSANE question.

We follow the rules of the constitution and the USMJ to the letter. Killing 1 or 12 innocent civilians he faces the music.

It will be interesting to see if his attys try an insanity plea. That really is hard to do.
DIMINISHED capacity could spare him from death.

Diminished capacity puts his CO's in a damaging light. Heads gotta roll on this one. We are there trying to teach these people about justice and retribution.

So the man that flew a fucking plane to his own death is less insane than a man who goes on a shooting spree?

If the man received a recent head injury then prison for life. Other wise he can claim the same justice we demand of our adversaries.

Well fuck it, why don't we just skip the trial and hang the bastard in the middle of downtown Kabul?

You really think this guy was in his right mind? Or does that make a difference? Guess not any more.

Not only no, FUCK no!

It is a sad, despicable act- but in no way unique. Atrocities happen in every war. He should be given a thorough mental evaluation, then prosecuted under the UCMJ. War is hell.....I feel bad for the Afghani families, but he is an American soldier and as such he deserves no less than Nidal Malik Hasan or any other soldier.

Well fuck it, why don't we just skip the trial and hang the bastard in the middle of downtown Kabul?

You really think this guy was in his right mind? Or does that make a difference? Guess not any more.

If he was LEGITIMATELY out of his mind then fine. But just like today I saw coverage of a guy that got convicted but was declared nuts. He was fucking another man's wife and played the system to avoid justice. OJ Simpson got off on bullshit. I'm tired of innocence by technicality. What ever happened to being responsible for your behavior? As far as convicting him early, I don't think there is any doubt of his guilt. Just his brain.

I have not heard about this. Maybe I jumped the gun. Do you have a link to his injury and timeline?
Yes and I guarantee it will be used in his defense.

World News - US soldier accused in Afghan massacre had brain injury history

The American soldier accused of massacring 16 civilians in southern Afghanistan on Sunday was a 38-year-old staff sergeant based in Washington State who had no history of behavioral problems, but had been treated for traumatic brain injury after a previous deployment to Iraq, senior U.S. defense officials told NBC News.

Last edited:
Not only no, FUCK no!

It is a sad, despicable act- but in no way unique. Atrocities happen in every war. He should be given a thorough mental evaluation, then prosecuted under the UCMJ. War is hell.....I feel bad for the Afghani families, but he is an American soldier and as such he deserves no less than Nidal Malik Hasan or any other soldier.

I have always respected your posts but when is a war criminal a war criminal? We had no problem with the execution of previous war criminals.

You're quick to jump on the insanity defense. How many terrorists on the other side would you afford the same consideration?

I don't believe in "temporary insanity"

Excuses be damned
Again, with all due respect Murked, his trial must not be influenced by conditions outside HIS crimes & mental status. It would appear he was not a CAREER criminal, obviously. I do not know if he will be determined to be incapacitated but "LOSING IT" is a factor. I also tend to discount "temporary insanity"; still the one time I saw Danny Rolling face to face, not more than two feet away, I doubted then he should be executed. It WAS ruled he regained capacity, but I have my doubts. (Bundy was easier, he displayed his capacity, MANY, MANY times. My father saw a few times at FSP.)

With all due respect if I have a bad day at work tomorrow and kill the wife and children of my client I don't think my reason should have any impact on my sentence unless I was threatened in some fashion.

There are probably many men and women who have served multiple terms that didn't commit mass murder. OF WOMEN AND CHILDREN.

Isn't everyone who commits such a heinous crime a bit nutty?
Bundy was sane, evil, but he had capacity. I understand that argument but this Defendant was at WAR, injured, and at a glance psychological diagnosis isn't reliable. I believe he must be proven to have capacity to be executed. (HERE I AM RALLYING FOR THE CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS FOR A MAN WHO IS CALLED A "HERO" BY SOME ON THE RIGHT. I do note your belief has no political expediency attached as a "rider". )

Not only no, FUCK no!

Thank you ZANDAR! This tagged "liberal" AGREES.

I say YES. His victims were mostly women and children. 12 of them. The man should face the death penalty and his execution should be televised in Afghanistan in my opinion.

Definitely not.

Here is another of your big government attitudes.

The man was in a war zone and snapped he need therapy not execution.

I say YES. His victims were mostly women and children. 12 of them. The man should face the death penalty and his execution should be televised in Afghanistan in my opinion.

Definitely not.

Here is another of your big government attitudes.

The man was in a war zone and snapped he need therapy not execution.

Big govt?

I don't see it.

A war crime is a war crime imo.

This wasn't the murder of 16 suspicious males. It was 12 women and children for christs sake. I HAVE CHILDREN.

Not only no, FUCK no!

I have always respected your posts but when is a war criminal a war criminal? We had no problem with the execution of previous war criminals.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one....He needs to be punished in accordance with the U.C.M.J. - no more or less. Justice is blind for a reason.....

blind-justice.jpg

I don't believe in "temporary insanity"

Excuses be damned

Doesn't matter what you believe,we kill him for a show to the barbarians!!!,make us worse then them.

4 tours wounded twice people get sick.

Although I use your rhetoric a lot I have a question for you....were the 12 women and children he slaughtered barbarians?

No most likely not, but to offer him up for appeasement is just wrong,he gets his trial

I am not jumping to any rash statements,I do agree we should be long gone from there.

Another broken campaign promise .

Forum List

Back