Should teams PLAY their way into the CFP or just get VOTED in?

jwoodie

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2012
I really resent the fact that a "select" group of people have the authority to decide which teams get to participate in the College Football Playoffs. Any team that fails to win its own conference championship should not be included in a four-team playoff, period.

I really resent the fact that a "select" group of people have the authority to decide which teams get to participate in the College Football Playoffs. Any team that fails to win its own conference championship should not be included in a four-team playoff, period.

I have no problem with that. But if you want that to be a rule, its needs to be in the rules.

I thought the point of the CFP was to get the best team. There are times the best team does not win a conference.

In college football, any team can rise to the occasion for a single game. Just like any team can stumble for one game.

A perfect example was the 1992 season. Alabama was 11-0 and the Western Div Champion. Florida was 8-3 and the Eastern Div Champion. The score was tied at 21 halfway thru the 4th quarter. With 3 mins left, Antonio Langham intercepted a Shane Matthews pass and returned it for a touchdown. Alabama won 28-21.

Florida was driving when the interception was made. If Florida had won, would you prefer a 9-3 team be in a playoff, or an 11-1 team?

I agree with the sentiment, but making one game be the entire season is wrong. And not all conferences are the same.

Clemson could lose to Texas A&M and to South Carolina, and still win the ACC. There is not another ranked team in the entire ACC. In the Atlantic division the 2nd place team is 6-4. But that one game makes the season?

In college football, any team can rise to the occasion for a single game. Just like any team can stumble for one game.

Isn't that also true for the CFP Championship Game? If so, what is the point? Also, is the #4 team really better than the #5 team?

I favor an 8 team playoff consisting of the P5 (or P6) conference champions plus 3 at-large teams to take care of special circumstances. In that case, the difference between the the #3 and #4 at-large teams doesn't matter: If you don't win your conference, you may not get invited to the dance.

Isn't that also true for the CFP Championship Game? If so, what is the point? Also, is the #4 team really better than the #5 team?

I favor an 8 team playoff consisting of the P5 (or P6) conference champions plus 3 at-large teams to take care of special circumstances. In that case, the difference between the the #3 and #4 at-large teams doesn't matter: If you don't win your conference, you may not get invited to the dance.
I suspect that will be the next generation of CF playoffs.

There will probably be a playoff expansion. But they do seem to get the best two teams in the four currently chosen.

Why do you resent it?

How does the structure of the CFP directly affect your life? No, you being upset that your team isn't a national champion is NOT a direct effect on your life.

Why do you resent it?

How does the structure of the CFP directly affect your life? No, you being upset that your team isn't a national champion is NOT a direct effect on your life.

I resent the idea of people being given authority to rig the system according to their own preferences. I much prefer an objective system (e.g., Sagarin) to make these selections.

How does this thread directly affect your life? And why do you assume that I am upset? Is this a projection of your own feelings?

Why do you resent it?

I resent the idea of people being given authority to rig the system according to their own preferences. I much prefer an objective system (e.g., Sagarin) to make these selections.

How does this thread directly affect your life? And why do you assume that I am upset? Is this a projection of your own feelings?
Not at all. I just don't understand why anyone would resent anything or anyone who does not directly influence or affect their lives. Clearly, if you resent it, then you are upset by it.

If it isn't taking food out of my mouth or putting me on the streets, I don't really have a reason to resent it.

Finally, who is to say what system is an objective one? In other words, who gets to say what is objective, and then what do you do about those people who 'resent' the new system that is now in place?

Finally, who is to say what system is an objective one?

An objective system is one in which quantitative criteria are established in advance (i.e., not personal opinions).

P.S. Are you directly involved in the CFP? If not, I don't understand why you are upset by my posts.

The biggest issue is the conference system itself, where you can't get true comparisons simply by who wins what conference.

College Basketball handles this issue by having 68 teams in it's playoffs.

Pro sports handle this by having teams play each other when fighting for spots as much as possible.

College football is to fragmented in structure and too short in number of games to just go with conference winners. add in the fact that you would have to then limit the CFB to whatever conferences you allow a spot, then you may understand why they go with a qualitative system for the spots instead of quantitative.

The biggest issue is the conference system itself, where you can't get true comparisons simply by who wins what conference.

Just as with the CFP itself, the ultimate factor is winning the game on the field. Otherwise, why not just vote for the "best" team? The same is true for conference championships. As long as the rules are set in advance, who are we to argue with them?

As noted, the College Basketball playoff system requires too many games to be applied to CFB. (It has also destroyed the importance of conference championships.)

The benefit of an eight-team CFP is that it respects major conference championships while allowing the inclusion of some other teams deserving special consideration. What is wrong with that?

Just as with the CFP itself, the ultimate factor is winning the game on the field. Otherwise, why not just vote for the "best" team? The same is true for conference championships. As long as the rules are set in advance, who are we to argue with them?

As noted, the College Basketball playoff system requires too many games to be applied to CFB. (It has also destroyed the importance of conference championships.)

The benefit of an eight-team CFP is that it respects major conference championships while allowing the inclusion of some other teams deserving special consideration. What is wrong with that?

I think the issue is an 8 team playoff adds another week to a system that already sees some players skip bowl type games due to fear of injury.

You would have to get all conferences to reduce their non-conference schedules by 1 to accommodate this probably.

Which conferences would get the auto-bid for their champions?

I think the issue is an 8 team playoff adds another week to a system that already sees some players skip bowl type games due to fear of injury.

You would have to get all conferences to reduce their non-conference schedules by 1 to accommodate this probably.

Which conferences would get the auto-bid for their champions?

An 8 team playoff would add another week to only 4 (or 2?) teams. If they felt this was too much, they could opt out.

I would start with the P5 conferences, but that could be changed. The other spots would be invitational.* Although this sounds a lot like the current system, it places a limit on the voting (vs. playing) issue. If a team doesn't win its conference, it can't complain about not being invited to the playoffs.

*For the other conference champions, their extra game wins should be taken into account. And any Division 1 team that goes undefeated should be automatically included.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back