Should Students Be Paid to Do Well in School?

What about instead, rewarding good grades with scholarships to a college or trade school of your choice? Wouldn't that make more sense?

I agree. in fact, perhaps half of the accumulated value goes into a savings account which can only be accessed upon graduation. Defaults for drop outs.

Then figure a way to make sure the cheaters don't beat the system.

When you get into higher education. Work on projects. Have to produce. Even if a cheater made it that far, they won't last. They always get found out.

When you are in high school, you can cheat. When you are in college and studying something where you write an essay, you can cheat.

If you are taking electronic technology and are told to put together a working traffic system using TTL and only the chips available, you won't pass if you don't know the material. There is no way to cheat.

I remember one instructor bringing a guy up in front of the class. He asked the guy why he got an F when the guy next to him got an A and all of their answers were "identical"?

He then pointed out that even though all the "answers" were identical, the questions were "different". Was it a massive "coincidence"?

It's not hard to stop cheaters.

Grading is subjective Any teacher knows that. There are teachers who never fail kids and some who fail 50 percent. I could see parents fighting to get their kids the "easy" teachers.

Grading is subjective Any teacher knows that. There are teachers who never fail kids and some who fail 50 percent. I could see parents fighting to get their kids the "easy" teachers.

Grade school isn't the "end" of education. It's the "beginning".

Most young "adults" go to school to begin a career. A career based on lies is a "short" career. Unless you're George Bush. But not everyone has an ex-President for a daddy.

Parents fighting to get the kids the "easy" teachers? Then they wouldn't be very good parents. Most parents want their kids to "learn", not learn to "cheat". I don't think that's a big problem.

Then figure a way to make sure the cheaters don't beat the system.

When you get into higher education. Work on projects. Have to produce. Even if a cheater made it that far, they won't last. They always get found out.

When you are in high school, you can cheat. When you are in college and studying something where you write an essay, you can cheat.

If you are taking electronic technology and are told to put together a working traffic system using TTL and only the chips available, you won't pass if you don't know the material. There is no way to cheat.

I remember one instructor bringing a guy up in front of the class. He asked the guy why he got an F when the guy next to him got an A and all of their answers were "identical"?

He then pointed out that even though all the "answers" were identical, the questions were "different". Was it a massive "coincidence"?

It's not hard to stop cheaters.

That is a Valuable Lesson in so many ways. :):):):):)

Conservative education. The finest in the world:

redneck1.jpg

I say this gently -- your youngest boy may have learned how to cheat without getting caught. My friends who are fulltime high school and college instructors have told me that cheating has grown rampant because the grade is the end all and be all.
Cheating is also encouraged by administrators who refuse to allow teachers to punish cheaters.
Every time a lawyer defends a student caught cheating the entire system is threatened. The instances of students falsely accused is so minimal as to be nonexistent, particularly since the penalty for cheating at the grade school level is seldom more than a single score reduced to 0.
Punish the cheaters and it will decrease the occurrence of cheating.

Forum List

Back