Should sex education be in public school?

yes sex ed should be taught in public schools...but it does not need to be a morals class but a simple explanation of facts. i hear grown adults use the words pee pee and such and want to vomit.

yes sex ed should be taught in public schools...but it does not need to be a morals class but a simple explanation of facts. i hear grown adults use the words pee pee and such and want to vomit.

I'm not sure how this turned into an argument over whether or not sex ed should be taught in school to the exclusion of parental responsibility, but I certainly didn't imply anything of the sort.

What's wrong with BOTH?

And yeah, "pee pee" is rather 60s.:lol:

As a single parent of 2 daughters, I found the public school's sex education program to be woefully inadequate.
The scary thing is that since it is part of the school curriculum, most parents completely abdicate their responsibility to the school because they assume the school is doing a good job at it. While I don't oppose sex education in schools, I think parents need to be the ones doing the bulk of the educating in this particular instance.

I homeschool my children, so we are both the parents and the teachers. I'm waiting to see where the curriculum that we use inserts, no pun intended, the appropriate material.

We will, of course, be discussing values with the biology.

I'll report the where and when, and how valuable we find it.

As a single parent, I didn't have the luxury of home-schooling my children.
My eldest daughter refused to attend her HS graduation because, in her words, "They are letting the failing kids graduate to, it doesn't mean anything to me since they are handing out diploma's to the kids that didn't earn them".
I had never been more proud of her.

The girl's got a head on her shoulders. I hope she let her reasons be known at school.

Many women are now single-parents because they were denied sex eduaction in school.

I homeschool my children, so we are both the parents and the teachers. I'm waiting to see where the curriculum that we use inserts, no pun intended, the appropriate material.

We will, of course, be discussing values with the biology.

I'll report the where and when, and how valuable we find it.

As a single parent, I didn't have the luxury of home-schooling my children.
My eldest daughter refused to attend her HS graduation because, in her words, "They are letting the failing kids graduate to, it doesn't mean anything to me since they are handing out diploma's to the kids that didn't earn them".
I had never been more proud of her.

The girl's got a head on her shoulders. I hope she let her reasons be known at school.
She did, but I don't think the bureaucrats cared. Their goal was to graduate students, not actually educate them.

Last edited:
Many women are now single-parents because they were denied sex eduaction in school.

I disagree. There are several reasons why a woman might be a single parent now. IMO, a lack of sex education in school isn't one of them.

Irresponsible behavior would top my list.

Misinterpreting sex as love would be next.

Irresponsible father and/or separation/divorce would be next.

Without school and/or parental guidance, kids learn all they need to know about sex from TV. The media is saturated with it. The media just isn't responsible in its reporting where sex is concerned. It's just too busy using sex to sell.

Even if schools teach sex education, the responsibility/consequences can really only be taught by parents. I wouldn't trust anyone-or-thing to get that right.

I disagree. There are several reasons why a woman might be a single parent now. IMO, a lack of sex education in school isn't one of them.

Without school and/or parental guidance, kids learn all they need to know about sex from TV. The media is saturated with it. The media just isn't responsible in its reporting where sex is concerned. It's just too busy using sex to sell.

Even if schools teach sex education, the responsibility/consequences can really only be taught by parents. I wouldn't trust anyone-or-thing to get that right.
I would have to agree with you, I had plenty of sex education and still became a single parent at 27!
But sex education does need to be taught in school, for one many young girls and boys need to know what is going on with their body and sometimes they need a better source than their parents. I know also after watching the slides on STD's in biology class kept me from having unprotective sex or even sex for that matter for along time. I am also happy to say I have never had one either. My parents knew nothing about STD's, they only knew about a 1/3 of them when they were young.
Show a kid a picture of a girl with a STD infection in the eye and I bet they will think twice about having sex!

I would have to agree with you, I had plenty of sex education and still became a single parent at 27!
But sex education does need to be taught in school, for one many young girls and boys need to know what is going on with their body and sometimes they need a better source than their parents. I know also after watching the slides on STD's in biology class kept me from having unprotective sex or even sex for that matter for along time. I am also happy to say I have never had one either. My parents knew nothing about STD's, they only knew about a 1/3 of them when they were young.
Show a kid a picture of a girl with a STD infection in the eye and I bet they will think twice about having sex!

That's interesting! If it can keep kids that ARE going to be sexually active to use protection, great. Or even better, to stop and think, eh, it's not worth a roll in the hay with Jr. and maybe get an STD, then that's great too!

The most important thing is knowing all you can before you dive in that world.

I have an open dialogue with my daughter, she knows she can ask me anything and I'll tell her the truth, and not to be scared to ask me anything either.

That's interesting! If it can keep kids that ARE going to be sexually active to use protection, great. Or even better, to stop and think, eh, it's not worth a roll in the hay with Jr. and maybe get an STD, then that's great too!

I have an open dialogue with my daughter, she knows she can ask me anything and I'll tell her the truth, and not to be scared to ask me anything either.
that is the best thing, is to be open with your children. My parents never really talked to me to much about it all, for one they knew I wasn't having sex in high school plus they knew I knew more about it all than they did but they are of a different generation.
I do have to say since I started my period at a young age I didn't think you had it over night!:lol: and of course my mom told my Grandma and my aunt so I learned quite a bit real fast. Luckly my mom let me stay home for two days, man I was so scared of it.

That's the type of relationship that takes years to build.
:clap2:

That's the type of relationship that takes years to build.
:clap2:
Thanks

She's a good egg, and I trust her and she trusts me. That's what it's all about, eh?

I had an open dialogue with my daughter too. AND I put her on the pill. Dialogue and education is great, but the reality is, teens operate on emotion and hormones, in a LOT of cases to the exclusion of any education and/or dialogue.

Girls want to be liked by boys and common sense and logic need not apply. Even though there's nothing wrong with that with many, to the non-Barbie doll types it "can" lead to mistakes. As an active duty Marine and single parent at the time, I couldn't afford any "mistakes."

I had an open dialogue with my daughter too. AND I put her on the pill. Dialogue and education is great, but the reality is, teens operate on emotion and hormones, in a LOT of cases to the exclusion of any education and/or dialogue.

Girls want to be liked by boys and common sense and logic need not apply. Even though there's nothing wrong with that with many, to the non-Barbie doll types it "can" lead to mistakes. As an active duty Marine and single parent at the time, I couldn't afford any "mistakes."

Did she have any input into the decision to put her on the pill? Or did you force that decision on her? I only ask because my eldest daughter refused to get on the pill when I offered her the opportunity, and she did that year after year after year. She went on the pill at 18, when she started having sex. My youngest went on the pill at 17, but she waited until 18 before she had sex as well.
And yes, I really do know that as a fact.

I believe that sex education should come in many forms. First, kids should learn about reproduction in their basic science classes like biology and physiology. Second, kids should learn about STD's in their health class. But thirdly and most importantly, kids should learn about sexual responsibility from their parents. As was mentioned before, parents are mitigating their duties to the schools to raise their children for them, and that is NOT what schools are meant to do. Schools are supposed to build the foundation for a child's education and career. It is the role of the parents to teach their child how to become adults.

I don't blame you! My friend's parents put her on the pill and you know what she was having sex, my other friend who was catholic took her pills away and she was also having sex. Good move on their part!:doubt:
My son is 15 months old and I tell him every day he is not having sex until he is twenty five, I hope it sticks:redface: I for one do not want him ending up like his father. I will also be open with him when he is older and can actually understand.
You know what the crazy thing is, men get "excited" even when they are a year old and I have to act like it is normal so he doesn't develope a complex but it is just crazy to me when I am changing his diaper if there is a slight "breeze" he becomes very happy.:eek:

I don't blame you! My friend's parents put her on the pill and you know what she was having sex, my other friend who was catholic took her pills away and she was also having sex. Good move on their part!:doubt:
My son is 15 months old and I tell him every day he is not having sex until he is twenty five, I hope it sticks:redface: I for one do not want him ending up like his father. I will also be open with him when he is older and can actually understand.
You know what the crazy thing is, men get "excited" even when they are a year old and I have to act like it is normal so he doesn't develope a complex but it is just crazy to me when I am changing his diaper if there is a slight "breeze" he becomes very happy.:eek:
Is a breeze a BJ?:lol:

Did she have any input into the decision to put her on the pill? Or did you force that decision on her? I only ask because my eldest daughter refused to get on the pill when I offered her the opportunity, and she did that year after year after year. She went on the pill at 18, when she started having sex. My youngest went on the pill at 17, but she waited until 18 before she had sex as well.

She had a say. It wasn't as clear-cut as I made it sound. I was thinking about it. The doctor suggested she go on the pill to regulate her menstrual cycle because it was all jacked up. Like any good Marine, I seized the moment and jumped on it. :lol:

I had already discussed it with her though. I don't know when she first had sex. Obviously since there are no bodies buried in my back yard.:evil:

Is a breeze a BJ?:lol:

Depends on how long you've been deployed.:cool:

She had a say. It wasn't as clear-cut as I made it sound. I was thinking about it. The doctor suggested she go on the pill to regulate her menstrual cycle because it was all jacked up. Like any good Marine, I seized the moment and jumped on it. :lol:

I had already discussed it with her though. I don't know when she first had sex. Obviously since there are no bodies buried in my back yard.:evil:
OK, just sounded a bit more militant than you meant.

There aren't any bodies in my back yard either. Couple floaters have been found in the lake though.............:eusa_whistle:

Forum List

Back