Should sex education be in public school?

Svante

cybernetic organism
Dec 11, 2008
Ragnarök
i go to public school befojr and now i left there. m y dad he go to school many times becuase i have probleme. one probleme i have is sex educatiion class. m y family believe i n the public school but i n Québec, there are no public school becuase there are much influence from catholique church. the public school i n Québec have many probleme with sex eeucation programme.

d o you go t o public school and are you happy with sex education class there? d o you think public school should teach sex education class? :eusa_angel:

The idea behind it was to cut down unwanted teen pregnancies, at least that was the cliam when it was started back in the 1970s.

Of course, it never worked, so no, I see no reason to teach it.

The idea behind it was to cut down unwanted teen pregnancies, at least that was the cliam when it was started back in the 1970s.

Of course, it never worked, so no, I see no reason to teach it.

Better to teach abstinence?

i go to public school befojr and now i left there. m y dad he go to school many times becuase i have probleme. one probleme i have is sex educatiion class. m y family believe i n the public school but i n Québec, there are no public school becuase there are much influence from catholique church. the public school i n Québec have many probleme with sex eeucation programme.

d o you go t o public school and are you happy with sex education class there? d o you think public school should teach sex education class? :eusa_angel:

Sex is part of our lives, if for no other reason than biological function. Of course it should be taught in public schools.

I'm not sure, but I get the idea you think it should not be taught. Why?

I think abstinence-only, and creation science should be taught.

my son just went through this in fifth grade......they had to do a wrtten report and sketches.....he came to and said.....dad if i have to draw a vagina one more time...............

As a single parent of 2 daughters, I found the public school's sex education program to be woefully inadequate.
The scary thing is that since it is part of the school curriculum, most parents completely abdicate their responsibility to the school because they assume the school is doing a good job at it. While I don't oppose sex education in schools, I think parents need to be the ones doing the bulk of the educating in this particular instance.

my son just went through this in fifth grade......they had to do a wrtten report and sketches.....he came to and said.....dad if i have to draw a vagina one more time...............

That's ridiculous. There is no need to draw anything or write reports in sex ed.

I think that sex ed should be incorporated into health class.

Health class should be divided into Health I and Health II. Health I would be for Freshmen and Health II would be for juniors or seniors. Each class would be required and would be one semester long. The major focus on in the health class would be on nutrition and exercise.

Sex ed would be one week long and would be taught by a doctor, PA, or NP. The focus on sex ed would be how to prevent STD transmission, and how to prevent pregnancy. Both abstinence and safe sex would be discussed. In addition to this, other sexual preferences would be touched on, but there would be no graphic discussion of heterosexual or homosexual sex. The Health I class would also talk about puberty and all the health issues regarding that (periods, acne, body changes, etc)

The teacher of the class would be available after school if anyone were to have specific questions that were not covered in the class.

Of course, the sex ed portion would be recommended, but not required if parents did not want their kids taught this in school. Those parents would have a course curriculum sent to them so they could have resources to teach their kids. Of course, they would have the final decision whether they would use it or chuck it.

I think the goal of sex ed is to inform kids about possible dangers (specifically STD and pregnancy). It would not be used to encourage any type of sexual practices, nor would it illustrate how these sexual practices are done. I feel it is important to offer this information to high school kids.

Perhaps in health class.

Do kids still even get health classes?

Yes, it is part of the physical education curriculum. (In my daughter's district) They have Health for an hour, then gym for an hour. (Every other 9 weeks)

In 8th grade they have learned about STD's, what they are, symptoms, etc.

In 9th grade they have sex education, I think that will be more the reproductive lessons, etc.

The best school based sex education I ever got was under the bleachers with a girl named Linda.

The oral exam was particularly rigorous at first, but eventually it wasn't so hard.

The best school based sex education I ever got was under the bleachers with a girl named Linda.

The oral exam was particularly rigorous at first, but eventually it wasn't so hard.

Sounds like Linda wasn't doing a very good job.

Am I reading into your confession, or is " it wasn't so hard" the operative part of the sentence?

There are pills you can take for this. Speak to your doctor to see if they are right for you. :eusa_angel:

As a single parent of 2 daughters, I found the public school's sex education program to be woefully inadequate.
The scary thing is that since it is part of the school curriculum, most parents completely abdicate their responsibility to the school because they assume the school is doing a good job at it. While I don't oppose sex education in schools, I think parents need to be the ones doing the bulk of the educating in this particular instance.

I homeschool my children, so we are both the parents and the teachers. I'm waiting to see where the curriculum that we use inserts, no pun intended, the appropriate material.

We will, of course, be discussing values with the biology.

I'll report the where and when, and how valuable we find it.

I homeschool my children, so we are both the parents and the teachers. I'm waiting to see where the curriculum that we use inserts, no pun intended, the appropriate material.

We will, of course, be discussing values with the biology.

I'll report the where and when, and how valuable we find it.

As a single parent, I didn't have the luxury of home-schooling my children.
My eldest daughter refused to attend her HS graduation because, in her words, "They are letting the failing kids graduate to, it doesn't mean anything to me since they are handing out diploma's to the kids that didn't earn them".
I had never been more proud of her.

Our schools have health class and they start in fifth grade with "the film" (puberty). My daughter talked about it all last year (she was in 5th grade, in 6th now). They send home the material covered well before the kids are shown it and invite parents to come in to the school to view the material, ask questions, etc.

At the end of 6th grade they go into more details -- haven't gotten exactly what's included yet (and seriously, can't for the life of me remember what was included 7 years ago when my oldest was that age).

Regardless of what they teach in school, parents are responsible for talking to their kids about sex, drugs, etc. Why would anyone leave something so important for the school - or the other kids on the bus! - to handle?

MM -- your daughter sounds like one smart young lady. BRAVO for her for recognizing the hypocrisy of the school in graduating those who didn't earn it.

Last edited:
Our schools have health class and they start in fifth grade with "the film" (puberty). My daughter talked about it all last year (she was in 5th grade, in 6th now). They send home the material covered well before the kids are shown it and invite parents to come in to the school to view the material, ask questions, etc.

At the end of 6th grade they go into more details -- haven't gotten exactly what's included yet (and seriously, can't for the life of me remember what was included 7 years ago when my oldest was that age).

Regardless of what they teach in school, parents are responsible for talking to their kids about sex, drugs, etc. Why would anyone leave something so important for the school - or the other kids on the bus! - to handle?

MM -- your daughter sounds like one smart young lady. BRAVO for her for recognizing the hypocrisy of the school in graduating those who didn't earn it.
The part in red is the big failure for many parents. Mostly because they trust the school and government to much.

I said it before, and I'll say it again, I had never been more proud of her.

Forum List

Back