Should seasonal employees be entitled to unemployment pay?

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
According to the article, 15 states restrict unemployment benefits for seasonal workers. Here at the Jersey Shore, collecting UE all winter is a way of life for many.

It’s a way of life for some lifeguards, badge checkers, police officers and public works employees who report for work at the Jersey Shore in May and collect their last paycheck shortly after Labor Day:

Work all summer at the shore, maybe work another job, and collect unemployment in the off-season.

But now two South Jersey towns — Cape May Point and Cape May City — facing tighter budgets are urging the state to end the practice. They contend the intent of unemployment insurance is not for workers who take a job knowing it has a definitive ending date.

2 South Jersey mayors urge N.J. to stop unemployment insurance for beach workers | NJ.com

The article speaks specifically about municipal employees, however if this gains momentum, it will affect a large number of people here: including motel workers, cooks, food servers, retail, etc.

Teachers and other school employees cannot collect UE in the summer. Should summer workers be able to collect in the winter? Year after year after year....

According to the article, 15 states restrict unemployment benefits for seasonal workers. Here at the Jersey Shore, collecting UE all winter is a way of life for many.

It’s a way of life for some lifeguards, badge checkers, police officers and public works employees who report for work at the Jersey Shore in May and collect their last paycheck shortly after Labor Day:

Work all summer at the shore, maybe work another job, and collect unemployment in the off-season.

But now two South Jersey towns — Cape May Point and Cape May City — facing tighter budgets are urging the state to end the practice. They contend the intent of unemployment insurance is not for workers who take a job knowing it has a definitive ending date.

The article speaks specifically about municipal employees, however if this gains momentum, it will affect a large number of people here: including motel workers, cooks, food servers, retail, etc.

Teachers and other school employees cannot collect UE in the summer. Should summer workers be able to collect in the winter? Year after year after year....

The shipping and freight company I work for hires thousands of temp workers from about November to January. I don't think they should get unemployment benefits after their assignment is done.

I agree. One of the comments on the article mentioned tax preparers as well. When tax season is over, they can not collect.

I know several women who waitress /bartend in the summer and then collect during the winter. It's supplemental income for many two parent families.

We simply can't afford it anymore. Although people pay into it, these perpetual users of the system collect way more than they contribute.

I believe they should get unemployment however I would base the amount of compensation on total wages at 60% for 50% of length of service. Does that sound sensible?

This is the law right now.
What is the maximum benefit?

The maximum benefit is 60% of Average Weekly Wage up to a maximum amount of $598 per week (for claims filed in 2011) up to 26 weeks.

There may be an additional $25 in Obama-cash on top of that, and of course the 26 weeks have been extended. Not bad for a stay at home mom. :doubt:

of course it is absurd and liberal and totally unfair that people who work all year should pay for free vacations for those who elect not to work all year.

Forum List

Back