Should seasonal employees be entitled to unemployment pay?

Discussion in 'Economy' started by chanel, Dec 20, 2011.

1. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    According to the article, 15 states restrict unemployment benefits for seasonal workers. Here at the Jersey Shore, collecting UE all winter is a way of life for many.

2 South Jersey mayors urge N.J. to stop unemployment insurance for beach workers | NJ.com

The article speaks specifically about municipal employees, however if this gains momentum, it will affect a large number of people here: including motel workers, cooks, food servers, retail, etc.

Teachers and other school employees cannot collect UE in the summer. Should summer workers be able to collect in the winter? Year after year after year....

2. FR8_DOG

FR8_DOG Fly till I die

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The shipping and freight company I work for hires thousands of temp workers from about November to January. I don't think they should get unemployment benefits after their assignment is done.

3. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    I agree. One of the comments on the article mentioned tax preparers as well. When tax season is over, they can not collect.

I know several women who waitress /bartend in the summer and then collect during the winter. It's supplemental income for many two parent families.

We simply can't afford it anymore. Although people pay into it, these perpetual users of the system collect way more than they contribute.

4. Sirkarl101

Sirkarl101 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I believe they should get unemployment however I would base the amount of compensation on total wages at 60% for 50% of length of service. Does that sound sensible?

5. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    This is the law right now.
    There may be an additional $25 in Obama-cash on top of that, and of course the 26 weeks have been extended. Not bad for a stay at home mom. :doubt:

6. EdwardBaiamonte

EdwardBaiamonte Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,053
    of course it is absurd and liberal and totally unfair that people who work all year should pay for free vacations for those who elect not to work all year.