Should Reporters be Above the Law??

Bonnie

Jun 30, 2004
Wherever
February 17, 2005 -- GEORGE Bernard Shaw once wrote that the problem with newspapers is that they often seem "unable to discriminate between a bicycle accident and the collapse of civilization."
This week's "collapse of civilization" — or at least of press freedom in these United States — came from the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals: It ruled that two reporters, Judith Miller of The New York Times and Matthew Cooper of Time magazine, must reveal their sources in the case of outed CIA official Valerie Plame or face jail time.

Plame is the wife of Joseph Wilson, the ex-ambassador who investigated reports of Iraqi uranium dealings in Africa for the Bush administration, then turned into a public critic of Bush's Iraq policy. Her name was revealed in a column by Robert Novak, and reporters Miller and Cooper also received leaks from "senior administration officials" allegedly out to discredit Plame's husband.

They've both refused to say what they knew or who told them. But disclosing the name of a federal agent is a crime, and the court nixed the reporters' claim that the First Amendment grants them the right to protect their sources in a grand-jury hearing.

The journalism profession has been having a rough time of it this year. Conservative pundits Armstrong Williams and Maggie Gallagher were flogged for real or imagined conflict-of-interest ties to the Bush administration. Heads rolled at CBS after Dan Rather's snafu with falsified National Guard documents. And CNN bigwig Eason Jordan resigned after making careless allegations about U.S. troops in Iraq targeting journalists.

So, in a way, watching Miller and Cooper stand by their professional integrity is wonderful. They deserve applause for it.

But that doesn't mean the courts are wrong.

Miller and Cooper's defenders argue that reporters should be granted the same privileges extended to other professions in which confidentiality is imperative. But there's a difference: Though it often seems otherwise, a journalist's sources aren't his or her clients.

Unlike lawyers, psychiatrists or priests, reporters don't really have clients — specific individuals whom they're contractually and ethically bound to serve. Sure, it's in the public interest that journalists be free to go about their work. But that doesn't give them the right to protect the perpetrators of crime, just because it results in "news" that can be put in the paper or on TV.

Cooper and Miller were engaged in nothing so cynical here, and indeed, whether there was any deliberate crime is still unknown. But the broader principle as it pertains to grand-jury hearings remains.

This is all very uncomfortable territory for the mainstream media, which seems to want the law's sanction as a breed of supercitizens. Time Editor-in-Chief Norm Pearlstein commented after the verdict that "We continue to believe that the right to protect confidential sources is fundamental to journalism." (He'd have my vote if he'd simply used the word "duty" instead of "right.")

Sounding a similar theme, Baltimore Sun editor Tim Franklin this week objected to a judge's ruling that Gov. Robert Ehrlich couldn't be sanctioned for barring state employees from talking to two particular reporters. Franklin called the ruling "scary" and "not only unconstitutional but undemocratic."

Let's all just take a deep breath. The press doesn't have a "right" to know anything it wants, or have access to whomever it wants. The power and freedom of the press is that it has the right to publish whatever it wants.

Miller never wrote about the Plame controversy, andhas held that up as a reason why compelling her testimony is more absurd. In fact, the opposite is true. If telling her the name of a CIA agent was a crime, then she's even closer to the situation of an ordinary citizen who witnessed a crime. We can all be compelled under many circumstances to testify to our direct knowledge of lawbreaking.

This is not to say I don't strongly sympathize with Miller and Cooper, who obviously are not criminals, and whose purpose is not to protect criminals. I hope a judge will recognize the principle Miller and Cooper are upholding and exercise some judicial discretion. But the concept of "civil disobedience" originally included the idea that dissenters were willing to accept the prescribed legal punishment for what they considered their moral stands.

Miller and Cooper's predicament isn't easy. But there is some justice in knowing they're in the same boat as ordinary citizens, who are often placed in difficult and unpleasant situations as the result of witnessing a crime as well.

http://www.nypost.com/postopinion/opedcolumnists/21979.htm

Bonnie said:
February 17, 2005 -- GEORGE Bernard Shaw once wrote that the problem with newspapers is that they often seem "unable to discriminate between a bicycle accident and the collapse of civilization."
This week's "collapse of civilization" — or at least of press freedom in these United States — came from the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals: It ruled that two reporters, Judith Miller of The New York Times and Matthew Cooper of Time magazine, must reveal their sources in the case of outed CIA official Valerie Plame or face jail time.

Plame is the wife of Joseph Wilson, the ex-ambassador who investigated reports of Iraqi uranium dealings in Africa for the Bush administration, then turned into a public critic of Bush's Iraq policy. Her name was revealed in a column by Robert Novak, and reporters Miller and Cooper also received leaks from "senior administration officials" allegedly out to discredit Plame's husband.

They've both refused to say what they knew or who told them. But disclosing the name of a federal agent is a crime, and the court nixed the reporters' claim that the First Amendment grants them the right to protect their sources in a grand-jury hearing.

The journalism profession has been having a rough time of it this year. Conservative pundits Armstrong Williams and Maggie Gallagher were flogged for real or imagined conflict-of-interest ties to the Bush administration. Heads rolled at CBS after Dan Rather's snafu with falsified National Guard documents. And CNN bigwig Eason Jordan resigned after making careless allegations about U.S. troops in Iraq targeting journalists.

So, in a way, watching Miller and Cooper stand by their professional integrity is wonderful. They deserve applause for it.

But that doesn't mean the courts are wrong.

Miller and Cooper's defenders argue that reporters should be granted the same privileges extended to other professions in which confidentiality is imperative. But there's a difference: Though it often seems otherwise, a journalist's sources aren't his or her clients.

Unlike lawyers, psychiatrists or priests, reporters don't really have clients — specific individuals whom they're contractually and ethically bound to serve. Sure, it's in the public interest that journalists be free to go about their work. But that doesn't give them the right to protect the perpetrators of crime, just because it results in "news" that can be put in the paper or on TV.

Cooper and Miller were engaged in nothing so cynical here, and indeed, whether there was any deliberate crime is still unknown. But the broader principle as it pertains to grand-jury hearings remains.

This is all very uncomfortable territory for the mainstream media, which seems to want the law's sanction as a breed of supercitizens. Time Editor-in-Chief Norm Pearlstein commented after the verdict that "We continue to believe that the right to protect confidential sources is fundamental to journalism." (He'd have my vote if he'd simply used the word "duty" instead of "right.")

Sounding a similar theme, Baltimore Sun editor Tim Franklin this week objected to a judge's ruling that Gov. Robert Ehrlich couldn't be sanctioned for barring state employees from talking to two particular reporters. Franklin called the ruling "scary" and "not only unconstitutional but undemocratic."

Let's all just take a deep breath. The press doesn't have a "right" to know anything it wants, or have access to whomever it wants. The power and freedom of the press is that it has the right to publish whatever it wants.

Miller never wrote about the Plame controversy, andhas held that up as a reason why compelling her testimony is more absurd. In fact, the opposite is true. If telling her the name of a CIA agent was a crime, then she's even closer to the situation of an ordinary citizen who witnessed a crime. We can all be compelled under many circumstances to testify to our direct knowledge of lawbreaking.

This is not to say I don't strongly sympathize with Miller and Cooper, who obviously are not criminals, and whose purpose is not to protect criminals. I hope a judge will recognize the principle Miller and Cooper are upholding and exercise some judicial discretion. But the concept of "civil disobedience" originally included the idea that dissenters were willing to accept the prescribed legal punishment for what they considered their moral stands.

Miller and Cooper's predicament isn't easy. But there is some justice in knowing they're in the same boat as ordinary citizens, who are often placed in difficult and unpleasant situations as the result of witnessing a crime as well.

http://www.nypost.com/postopinion/opedcolumnists/21979.htm

Some stuff I found on this topic...

Anonymous speech:

Compelled source disclosure runs afoul of the First Amendment because some speakers may be chilled into silence without the cover of anonymity

This is a good point, afterall, anonymity is a constitutionally protected right. However...

Courts carefully balance the "compelling" public need to disclose against the confidentiality interests to withhold, giving great weight to fundamental privacy rights. Mere relevance is not sufficient; indeed, such private information is presumptively protected. The need for discovery is balanced against the magnitude of the privacy invasion, and the party seeking discovery must make a higher showing of relevance and materiality than otherwise would be required for less sensitive material

This constitutional right is not "absolute." For example:

In a defamation case brought by a public figure against a journalist, for example, discovery of anonymous sources might be allowed where the additional information is necessary to meet the constitutional burden of proof of actual malice

In my opinion, if the government (which it appears to have done) shows a "compelling" need for these anonymous sources, then under the law, the reporters right (or the persons giving the information, very closely tied) to anonymous speech is outweighed by the compelling public need to know more about this crime.

I have personally witnessed reporters at events and it amazes the air of Godlike being they carry. They need to remember that their rights are our rights, not more, not less.

What I have been wondering is, why don't the reporters remain completely silent?

Prosecutor: Mr. Reporter, did you meet with the secret informant?

Reporter: Citing my rights under the 5th amendment, I refuse to answer.

Prosecutor: Mr. Reporter, do you know the name of the secret informant?

Prosecutor: Mr. Reporter, do you have transcripts from the secret informant?

WTF?? Why did they not plead the fifth?

A

CivilLiberty said:
WTF?? Why did they not plead the fifth?

Because the fifth amendment protects against self-incrimination. It does not provide a shield which allows someone to refuse to testify - so long as they are not charged with a crime.

Even if testimony is sought which might disclose criminal activity on the part of a person giving testimony, that person may NOT refuse to testify if the prosecutor gives him or her immunity from any charges stemming from that testimony.

Failure to testify under those conditions is contempt of court.

=========================
http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/data/constitution/amendment05/07.html#1
No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

Merlin1047 said:
Because the fifth amendment protects against self-incrimination. It does not provide a shield which allows someone to refuse to testify - so long as they are not charged with a crime.

Even if testimony is sought which might disclose criminal activity on the part of a person giving testimony, that person may NOT refuse to testify is the prosecutor gives him or her immunity from any charges stemming from that testimony.

Failure to testify under those conditions is contempt of court.

Yes, I recognize that. that's not my point.

My point is, that admitting their involvement puts them in jeopardy of "contempt of court", in essence they become compelled to be a "witness against themselves" and this testimony sets them up for criminal (contempt) liability.

I think they have a 5th amendment excuse here.

Andy

CivilLiberty said:
Yes, I recognize that. that's not my point.

My point is, that admitting their involvement puts them in jeopardy of "contempt of court", in essence they become compelled to be a "witness against themselves" and this testimony sets them up for criminal (contempt) liability.

I think they have a 5th amendment excuse here.

Andy

Still, no.

The reporters are not charged with any crime, therefore they cannot hide behind the fifth. Also, there is no constitutional right that shields reporters who fail to comply with a judge's order to testify in criminal matters of which they may have knowledge. From the article:

"Her name was revealed in a column by Robert Novak, and reporters Miller and Cooper also received leaks from "senior administration officials" allegedly out to discredit Plame's husband.

They've both refused to say what they knew or who told them. But disclosing the name of a federal agent is a crime, and the court nixed the reporters' claim that the First Amendment grants them the right to protect their sources in a grand-jury hearing."

Those being sought are the sources who allegedly gave the CIA agent's name to the reporters. The judge ruled that these reporters have a duty to testify regarding the source of their information. It is that source (if it exists) which is the target of the investigation. There is currently no issue of self-incrimination on the part of the two reporters.

If there is an issue of possible criminal charges because the reporters published the name of that agent, their refusal to testify is moot since there is a published article with their by-line on it. If they were to be charged, which I doubt, that would be sufficient evidence to convict them. Even if there were a self-incrimination issue as you suggest, the prosecutor needs only to grant them immunity.

Personally, given the somewhat loose ethical codes recently demonstrated by some in all forms of media, it would not surprise me to learn that these two have no source and that they made the whole thing up in an attempt to influence the election in favor of kerry.

Merlin1047 said:
Still, no.

The reporters are not charged with any crime, therefore they cannot hide behind the fifth.

Not true. You do not have to be charged with ANYTHING to refuse to answer any question if you have any reason to believe that you might suffer any consequences for answering. In a recent SCOTUS ruling, they ruled that You must "state your name"in connection to an investigation, but that's IT.

Merlin1047 said:
Also, there is no constitutional right that shields reporters who fail to comply with a judge's order to testify in criminal matters of which they may have knowledge.

Yes I know - but that's a legally separate issue.

Merlin1047 said:
If there is an issue of possible criminal charges because the reporters published the name of that agent, their refusal to testify is moot since there is a published article with their by-line on it.

You're missing something important here. NOVAK published the name. MILLER and COPPER did NOT.

Andy

CivilLiberty said:
Not true. You do not have to be charged with ANYTHING to refuse to answer any question if you have any reason to believe that you might suffer any consequences for answering. In a recent SCOTUS ruling, they ruled that You must "state your name"in connection to an investigation, but that's IT.

And you keep ignoring the fact that the prosecutor merely needs to grant them immunity and that blows their self-incrimination claims right out of the water.

Merlin1047 said:
And you keep ignoring the fact that the prosecutor merely needs to grant them immunity and that blows their self-incrimination claims right out of the water.

No, they don't have to accept an offer of immunity.

A

CivilLiberty said:
No, they don't have to accept an offer of immunity.

A

In the past reporters have been jailed after being granted immunity (and can be jailed up to 18 months) and not testifying. Their 5th Amendment Right no longer applied, yet they chose to protect the guilty so that in the future they could get a story. It is understandable why they would do this but they cannot be immune from contempt of court just because they are reporters.

Here is one case where a writer tried to get out of jail for contempt after being granted immunity. In this case the writer was released soon after her appeal was filed and therefore the SCOTUS did not hear the case.

http://www.freedomforum.org/templates/document.asp?documentID=15571

Here is one where they were granted immunity that they didn't seek yet still faced being jailed for contempt of court.

http://www.freerepublic.com/forum/a3090.htm

This also happened with one of Clinton's cohorts who refused to testify even though she had been granted immunity (think Susan McDougal), I remember the lefties counting the days that she had been in jail for protecting Clinton.

And here is a story dealing with the immunity of the Press and the fact that more often Judges are jailing them for contempt.

http://www.firstamendmentcenter.org/news.aspx?id=13870

CivilLiberty said:
Gray area. It has not been tested in the SCOTUS, that's why I present it as a hypothetical.

A

Fair enough.

When does the 5th apply? Can a person in a civil suit claim?

You know these.

In this case, what crime, notwithstanding the crime of not forking over your source, could the reporters be charged with?

If they committed no crime, how could they self incriminate?

If they did commit a crime, what is it?

They grey area you refer too, is it the remote possibility of being charged with a crime and how that relates to self incrimination? Then the question becomes, how remote does the amendment apply?

As far as I know (if wrong on facts, ok, tell me) these reporters only have information that is highly valuable to a serious crime. My question to you is, does the knowledge, in that, the information that could come from these reporter's sources, outweigh the right to be anonymous? This is a much less grey area than the 5th. So, under current law, what say you?

This is one of the those gray areas in journalism. In order for a free press to exist in this country, journalists have to be able to use anonymous sources of information on controversial topics. By the same token, it is sometimes necessary, if a crime has been committed, for a journalist to reveal that source if they are directly linked to that crime or have information that could lead to an arrest, etc. There is a lot of gray area though as to what constitutes information necessary to prosecute and whether the source's information is even relevant. It's a tough question.

acludem

Forum List

Back