Should religion be promoted in public schools?

RELIGION, definitely not. However; MORALS, VALUES, and ETHICS should most definitely be taught in schools. Mostly because they're not being taught at home anymore. Of course that would require totally changing the school systems since morals, values, and ethics don't exist anywhere in our educational system anymore, but that's a separate topic alltogether.

I distinctly remember saying (or listening to) a rather generic prayer in the morning, saying the Pledge of Allegiance, respecting the flag and respecting my elders. Nothing in these exercises hurt me, angered me, or ruined my life. There was no teaching or promotion at all of any specific religion - and we had a pretty good mix of various religions. Nobody talked about it - it was just a simple prayer to get the morning started.

The Pledge of Allegiance taught us a deep respect, pride, and love of country and those who provided us the freedoms we enjoyed back in the day (many of which are no longer available to us today).

Children were taught to respect elders - we didn't need to love or even like elders - but we were sure always polite to them. Today, we have sort of a FU mentality and attitude toward everybody.

RELIGION, definitely not. However; MORALS, VALUES, and ETHICS should most definitely be taught in schools. Mostly because they're not being taught at home anymore. Of course that would require totally changing the school systems since morals, values, and ethics don't exist anywhere in our educational system anymore, but that's a separate topic alltogether.

The "morals, values and ethics" of who?
Mine, yours, the neighbors?
Are my morals, values and ethics better than yours?

The "morals, values and ethics" of who? Mine, yours, the neighbors? Are my morals, values and ethics better than yours?

I've amswered this before, but I'll be happy to explain it again.... I believe in a concept called "Universal Morality". It's taken from the commonalities between the morals, values, and ethics of the main successful spiritual movements, societies, and cultures throughout recorded human history.

What you end up with in doing so is a morality that is very similar to a cross between Traditional (not Modern) Western Society and Islamic Society. It would not be a very popular concept in America these days; however I believe it is what is necessary to get this country back on track before we run this train totally off the tracks.

I distinctly remember saying (or listening to) a rather generic prayer in the morning, saying the Pledge of Allegiance, respecting the flag and respecting my elders. Nothing in these exercises hurt me, angered me, or ruined my life. There was no teaching or promotion at all of any specific religion - and we had a pretty good mix of various religions. Nobody talked about it - it was just a simple prayer to get the morning started.

The Pledge of Allegiance taught us a deep respect, pride, and love of country and those who provided us the freedoms we enjoyed back in the day (many of which are no longer available to us today).

Children were taught to respect elders - we didn't need to love or even like elders - but we were sure always polite to them. Today, we have sort of a FU mentality and attitude toward everybody.

Same here.
And the neighborhood kid that sat next to me did the same thing. He is in prison now for murdering 3 people.
Saying the pledge of allegiance and praying in school DOES NOTHING to teach morals and values to kids.
Where do you come up with this feel good nonsense?

The "morals, values and ethics" of who? Mine, yours, the neighbors? Are my morals, values and ethics better than yours?

I've amswered this before, but I'll be happy to explain it again.... I believe in a concept called "Universal Morality". It's taken from the commonalities between the morals, values, and ethics of the main successful spiritual movements, societies, and cultures throughout recorded human history.

What you end up with in doing so is a morality that is very similar to a cross between Traditional (not Modern) Western Society and Islamic Society. It would not be a very popular concept in America these days; however I believe it is what is necessary to get this country back on track before we run this train totally off the tracks.

Who decides?
Government?:eek::eek:

Who decides? Government?:eek::eek:

I think I already explained the process to you. As I said, I'm a believer in the concept of "Universal Morality". That supercedes any government, society, or religion by being the basis on which the successful governments, societies and religions have been based on in the past. I don't think that's a terribly tough concept to understand.

Same here.
And the neighborhood kid that sat next to me did the same thing. He is in prison now for murdering 3 people.
Saying the pledge of allegiance and praying in school DOES NOTHING to teach morals and values to kids.
Where do you come up with this feel good nonsense?

The fact that he's in prison for murdering 3 people has nothing to do with morning prayers, the Pledge of Allegiance or respect for others. It MAY have he had some negative influence because of his home environment; then then, again, it MAY be because he made some very bad decisions. Maybe he was just a mean and defiant kid to begin with no matter how good his environment was. But prayer in school had nothing to do with anything - he probably tuned it out or sneered at it.

I have to differ with you - religion - regardless of which one - teaches a great deal about morality and values. Some people just don't like being "confined" to any moral or value-based lifestyle - it leaves them free from the "baggage" of guilt for their thoughts and actions.

Last edited:
Who decides? Government?:eek::eek:

I think I already explained the process to you. As I said, I'm a believer in the concept of "Universal Morality". That supercedes any government, society, or religion by being the basis on which the successful governments, societies and religions have been based on in the past. I don't think that's a terribly tough concept to understand.

It is not but you still have to deal with getting that to the classroom and there will be some tweaking as it goes through government and is implemented. Ultimately, if the state is teaching morality it will always be to the benefit of giving it more power and making the people more compliant. That is the rub that you cannot avoid if you want schools to take over morality. The solution is not by taking that responsibility away from parents but rather throwing back on them. School is not there to replace parenting.

I have no problem teacing all religions as a course study in sociolgy. But not promoted as a tool to lure people into a religion

No religion should be promoted in public school.

All religions should be taught about and discussed. Unless we value PC instead of knowledge and critical and free thinking.

All religions should be taught about and discussed. Unless we value PC instead of knowledge and critical and free thinking.

Been to a classroom lately. That is exactly what has happened ;)

I mean, we can't have young children reading Catcher in the Rye. Their innocent eyes cant handle all that foul language. Maybe if we created an edited version....

Been to a classroom lately. That is exactly what has happened ;)

I mean, we can't have young children reading Catcher in the Rye. Their innocent eyes cant handle all that foul language. Maybe if we created an edited version....
Yeah, I know.

Tragic.

Who decides?
Government?:eek::eek:
Such extremes, Gadawg.
Are you saying that there is no basic morality? No core sense of right and wrong? Good and bad?
Killing, lying, stealing, etc.....?

Do you need the gov't or school board to decide these things for you?

It is not but you still have to deal with getting that to the classroom and there will be some tweaking as it goes through government and is implemented. Ultimately, if the state is teaching morality it will always be to the benefit of giving it more power and making the people more compliant. That is the rub that you cannot avoid if you want schools to take over morality.

While I understand and see where you're coming from, these ideals are not difficult or complex things. There really isn't a whole lot of space for them to be tweaked, to be honest with you. At least not in my mind.

The solution is not by taking that responsibility away from parents but rather throwing back on them. School is not there to replace parenting.

I would love to agree with you, but I think we've already more than proven that the majoirty of parents in the United States are unwilling or unable to instruct their children on the basics of proper etiquette, nevermind the grander ideals of morals and values.

I am so tired of the far right agenda-driven PC nonsense, their silly political correctness, which is to take this country back to the 1950s.

However, I am strengthened that such will never happen. The far wacks don't have the votes by themselves, and the rest of the GOP will use them but not let them make policy.

I would recommend teaching comparative religion
and conflict resolution/mediation skills. Since people
are going to run into these differences and biases in life,
why not teach students early on how to manage diversity?

Issues like school prayers at functions, how to teach evolution or
creation or even sex education, the Pledge of Allegiance, etc.
can be decided democratically by a system of input or even voting
among students and parents to come up with a fair policy that
represents the diversity of the student body and community.

I believe civics education should be required so people understand
the responsibility for due process they should respect and follow
if they want the same rights and freedoms under Constitutional laws.

ethics-commission.net

Absolutely not. That is not the point of education.

They certainly are parts of education, formal as well as informal. All of those subjects fit into a classroom, the appropriate classroom. For instance, ID would never be taught in the biology classroom. Civics education, for example, should be taught to all students. We find out that those taking the citizenship exam know far more about being an American that many, if not most, of our native-born citizens.
What, exactly?
Perhaps I should have been more specific. I was referring to the second paragraph. The first and third make sense and are already in schools.
The solution is not by taking that responsibility away from parents but rather throwing back on them. School is not there to replace parenting.

I would love to agree with you, but I think we've already more than proven that the majoirty of parents in the United States are unwilling or unable to instruct their children on the basics of proper etiquette, nevermind the grander ideals of morals and values.
That is correct but I believe that the problem lies in the fact that the state has been taking that responsibility away for years. Slowly but surely the responsibilities of parents have been put by the wayside. From raising your child to basic sex ed even to feeding them. Some of these moves are a good thing though parents need to realize that they STILL have the responsibility for those things. Sex ed is a good example where the schools have taken a portion of that responsibility but parents have forgotten that the schools cannot cover that entirely and they still need to be involved in that portion of their education. I feel that removing even more parental responsibility is only going to further the problem.

Also, remember that no matter how much the schools teach morality it will not matter one iota if that morality is not practiced within the home. That is the ultimate problem with schools attempting to take responsibilities of parents. The simple fact is that you cannot replace the home in an 8 hour a day class. If the parents do not take an interest in teaching children HOW to live then there is nothing that is going to help. Schools can impart the knowledge but the home is where morality and how to live is learned.

I am so tired of the far right agenda-driven PC nonsense, their silly political correctness, which is to take this country back to the 1950s.

However, I am strengthened that such will never happen. The far wacks don't have the votes by themselves, and the rest of the GOP will use them but not let them make policy.

Complete lack of anything with substance. Did you have a point? Can you point to the ' right agenda-driven PC nonsense' in this thread?

Until we get proficient in teaching children reading, writing, math, information systems, economics and the dozen other subjects they NEED to learn to be competitive in the world religion takes a back seat.
Where it should be.
And one wonders why we are about 38th in those other areas.

Complete lack of anything with substance. Did you have a point? Can you point to the ' right agenda-driven PC nonsense' in this thread?

"American euication is going down hill fast because God and prayer were taken out of the schools"
Might not be in this thread but it is ALL OVER everywhere else to everyone with ears and eyes.
And it is rank far right agenda driven PC nonsense 1000%.

Forum List

Back