Should religion be promoted in public schools?

BOBO

The Magnificent!
Jun 24, 2011
Spokane area
If so, would not all religions need to be included, including nazism? I mean nazism is a belief system(religious) that believes in aryan supremacy through a superman nordic god. I'm not trying to start a commotion here but if religion is to be brought into the public arena of education where do we as Americans draw the line for 1st amendment rights & interpretation???
Or would it be a better idea to have private schools where the religious ideology of choice can be promoted?

And quite honestly, I have no problem with our youth being taught about all religions. It might make them well rounded people to actually know about and understand others.

I would recommend teaching comparative religion
and conflict resolution/mediation skills. Since people
are going to run into these differences and biases in life,
why not teach students early on how to manage diversity?

Issues like school prayers at functions, how to teach evolution or
creation or even sex education, the Pledge of Allegiance, etc.
can be decided democratically by a system of input or even voting
among students and parents to come up with a fair policy that
represents the diversity of the student body and community.

I believe civics education should be required so people understand
the responsibility for due process they should respect and follow
if they want the same rights and freedoms under Constitutional laws.

ethics-commission.net

Definately not, it should be kept in the same grade.
I do not believe in social promotions.

Promoted? No.
Taught? Yes.

I'm an atheist, and I think all the main religions should be taught in a religion type class.

Just as long as it's not in a biology class.

What he said, although I'm not an atheist; I'm agnostic.

Promoted? No.
Taught? Yes.

I'm an atheist, and I think all the main religions should be taught in a religion type class.

Just as long as it's not in a biology class.

What he said, although I'm not an atheist; I'm agnostic.

I dunno what I am, some call me atheist, some call me agnostic, I'm not too worried about the label.

To sum up what I believe is I'm 99.99999(fill in infitinite number of 9's here)% that the gods of the bible or quran or the hindu religion etc don't exist. To equate it I think there's an equal chance that a godzilla looking god a million galaxies away created the galaxies than any other god (that is if the miniscule chance a god is responsible for all this) but it hasn't been disproven and likely never will be so I can't say I'm 100% sure no particular god or gods exist.

So I'm not sure what that makes me.

Well considering the fact that religion plays a vast role in our history, it's foolish not to have it included.

While no kid should be taught to worship a particular way, we should all have learned what role faith has played in history.

consider this; How many people do you know that think the movie, "The Ten Commandments" is historically acurate?

Sorry, if you're sitting there going; "It's not?" Mia koopa on the bubble bursting.

My daughter will be a junior in high school at a *gasp* public school.

She is taking a comparative religion class, which covers ALL religions. They have guest speakers of each one come in the class to talk to them, and learn about how the different religions started, what they are about..... etc.

She is really excited about the class.

*She also took a Bible Lit class last year, and learned a lot. They studied the Bible as literature.

She is taking a comparative religion class, which covers ALL religions. They have guest speakers of each one come in the class to talk to them, and learn about how the different religions started, what they are about..... etc.

*She also took a Bible Lit class last year, and learned a lot. They studied the Bible as literature.

I had this stuff at my public high school as well (I'm 26), it's easy to teach religion and history of religion without indoctrinating.

My daughter took a class that covered old pagan religions.

The religion called 'Liberalism' is already promoted in public schools. Isn't that enough?

As is religious conservatism in many schools in the South.

Having said that, American religiosity is a part of American history. Religion in America cannot not be taught in public school. Just can't preach is the point. You want that, take it to private school or Sunday school or home.

Only Atheism should be promoted, it is the only true religion. kids should be taught there is no god. If their parents want to teach otherwise,it is up to them

Forum List

Back