Should PTSD patients be able to purchase weapons

Hate to break it to you but you don't get to make the rules up as you go.

You are the one attempting to do that. Restraining orders are issued by judges. Being "under investigation" is not and never will be grounds to void a constitutional right.

PTSD is not an uncommon problem. Would you also deny police officers and other LOEs a right to arms?

Chris Kyle's murderer will plead PTSD. An Army Veteran was arrested yesterday for threatening to kill his wife and any other person near her even though his wife works in the Capital building in Washington. His defense is PTSD. Still want to allow these guys to ignore the part about mental illness or lie about it when they fill out the ATF form to purchase a firearm?
Once again the law allows the Local authorities to bring anyone suspected of a mental problem before a judge. You want to just arbitrarily deny rights based on no findings. Guess what you don't get to do that.

This also means that any citizen that has become a threat to society can be turned down and it's done frequently. It's not up to you nor I. It's up to the issuing police or sheriff's department. And it doesn't take a Judge or Court. Now, you do have the option to contest it in court. But if you have already demonstrated that you are a threat to the public I wouldn't suggest taking it to court.

Wrong as usual.The law is clear. The courts are clear. Unless you are barred legally from owning firearms a local sheriff may not deny you the right to buy a firearm. And the ONLY way you are barred legally in regards mental issues is if a Judge has so ruled.

Hate to break it to you but you don't get to make the rules up as you go.

You are the one attempting to do that. Restraining orders are issued by judges. Being "under investigation" is not and never will be grounds to void a constitutional right.

PTSD is not an uncommon problem. Would you also deny police officers and other LOEs a right to arms?

Nice Non sequitur. Not only that, you are just making your own argument just to win. Sorry, fruitcake, you lose once again.

This also means that any citizen that has become a threat to society can be turned down and it's done frequently. It's not up to you nor I. It's up to the issuing police or sheriff's department. And it doesn't take a Judge or Court. Now, you do have the option to contest it in court. But if you have already demonstrated that you are a threat to the public I wouldn't suggest taking it to court.

You must live in Chicago, NYC, or one of those "People's Republic" states in the far Northeast. Or maybe Ca..
Please listen carefully and try to comprehend. I am not required to get a permit to buy a gun. Neither are most of the people in the US. At one time I was required to get permission from a Sheriff's department to purchase a handgun (only) but even then the Sheriff was required to issue such permission unless the person had been found guilty of a crime or been judged mentally incompetent. And if taken to court he was required to have documentary proof of such if he was to avoid a charge of violation of civil rights. It was not his place to "decide" spit. Either you had a record or you didn't. That ended when the insta-check system went on line. Now when I buy a gun the seller calls them and gives them my info and they call back with approval within an hour or so. Again, they are clerks and do not decide spit. Either you have a record or you don't. And it most certainly does take a judge or court to make that record.
PTSD does not by itself render someone a threat to anyone and it is against the law for the government to be poking through my medical records in any case. Invasion of privacy. What you and Whitehall advocate is simply arbitrary punishment without a trial. I don't allow such in my country.
The government not only allows but requires soldiers, police, and other LEOs with PTSD to open carry weapons. Should they also be disarmed?

If someone has undergone treatment and gets a letter from his doctor to get a fire arm, then the answer is no. These PTSD guys and women go from 0 to 120 in a second and that is dangerous in itself and give them a gun and it's deadly.

People who have been physically and/or emotionally and/or sexually abused for years as children make up a large group of people with PTSD as do some rape victims and survivors of violent attacks or accidents. Should society abuse them further by denying them their constitutional rights? Should someone who owns weapons be forced to risk them if they seek treatment? Especially since a degree of paranoia is not uncommon with PTSD?

You must live in Chicago, NYC, or one of those "People's Republic" states in the far Northeast. Or maybe Ca..
Please listen carefully and try to comprehend. I am not required to get a permit to buy a gun. Neither are most of the people in the US. At one time I was required to get permission from a Sheriff's department to purchase a handgun (only) but even then the Sheriff was required to issue such permission unless the person had been found guilty of a crime or been judged mentally incompetent. And if taken to court he was required to have documentary proof of such if he was to avoid a charge of violation of civil rights. It was not his place to "decide" spit. Either you had a record or you didn't. That ended when the insta-check system went on line. Now when I buy a gun the seller calls them and gives them my info and they call back with approval within an hour or so. Again, they are clerks and do not decide spit. Either you have a record or you don't. And it most certainly does take a judge or court to make that record.
PTSD does not by itself render someone a threat to anyone and it is against the law for the government to be poking through my medical records in any case. Invasion of privacy. What you and Whitehall advocate is simply arbitrary punishment without a trial. I don't allow such in my country.
The government not only allows but requires soldiers, police, and other LEOs with PTSD to open carry weapons. Should they also be disarmed?

Okay, dipstick. I live in western colorado and soon Texas. And I happen to HAVE PTSD and so do many of my friends. Now it's time to back up your fruitcake posts. Exactly where did I type that if you had PTSD that you shouldn't be able to buy a gun or a weapon? You made the claim, now back it up. Like I said, you just make it up as you go and have no idea who is agin or fer anything. You are what makes the Republican Party look bad. You talk at us and never with us. You give the GOP a bad name. NO wonder it keeps losing the big one and probably will do it again. Plus, whatever gains were made in congress, your bunch is working hard to negate most of it. You must be a Ted Cruz fan.

Okay, dipstick. I live in western colorado and soon Texas. And I happen to HAVE PTSD and so do many of my friends. Now it's time to back up your fruitcake posts. Exactly where did I type that if you had PTSD that you shouldn't be able to buy a gun or a weapon? You made the claim, now back it up. Like I said, you just make it up as you go and have no idea who is agin or fer anything. You are what makes the Republican Party look bad. You talk at us and never with us. You give the GOP a bad name. NO wonder it keeps losing the big one and probably will do it again. Plus, whatever gains were made in congress, your bunch is working hard to negate most of it. You must be a Ted Cruz fan.
You claimed the local police or county sheriff could refuse to allow you to buy a firearm without any judge being involved and no crimes. That is not true except in some of the more egregious Liberal States. That is not the law.

One can not be denied the right to purchase own possess or carry a firearm unless they have committed certain crimes or have been Adjudged mentally deficient BY A JUDGE.

You claimed the local police or county sheriff could refuse to allow you to buy a firearm without any judge being involved and no crimes. That is not true except in some of the more egregious Liberal States. That is not the law.

One can not be denied the right to purchase own possess or carry a firearm unless they have committed certain crimes or have been Adjudged mentally deficient BY A JUDGE.

No, disptick. You are still making it up as you go and talking AT me instead of with me. I stated that if the issuing authority was convinced you were a threat to society. And I stated you had the right to take it up with them in court to get it overturned.

Making public threats to violently kill others won't get you in front of a judge but it will be on file with the Law Enforcements. This is enough to get your permit not issued or revoked. It's issued by Law Enforcement not a Judge. And it takes a Judge to countermand Law Enforcement's ruling.

We had over 3000 gun permits issued in 2013 issued in the state of Colorado. About 130 were denied. Out of those 130, 71 were found to be convicted felons and were headed back to the hoosgow since it's illegal for them to even attempt to aquire a gun. Only 5 of the rest had the rejection overturned in court. There were numerous reasons for the remainder like, Restraining order, Public Threat to harm the Public (no judge needed on this one) and other reasons. You can't change the laws and the application to suit your fruitcake ultra right wing BS.

Making public threats to violently kill others won't get you in front of a judge...

Wrong. If it does not get you in front of a judge you have not committed a crime and you can't be stopped from buying a gun. Ever hear of the right to a fair trial? That is required before a person can be denied a constitutional right or receives other punishment.

It's issued by Law Enforcement not a Judge. And it takes a Judge to countermand Law Enforcement's ruling.

Here there is no permit issued by law enforcement or anyone else there is only a records check. Law Enforcement does not have the authority to make "rulings". They are charged with enforcing the law as it is written. They can not make it up as they go along as you like to say. The authority to deny a gun purchase is highly limited.

Making public threats to violently kill others won't get you in front of a judge...

Wrong. If it does not get you in front of a judge you have not committed a crime and you can't be stopped from buying a gun. Ever hear of the right to a fair trial? That is required before a person can be denied a constitutional right or receives other punishment.

It's issued by Law Enforcement not a Judge. And it takes a Judge to countermand Law Enforcement's ruling.

Here there is no permit issued by law enforcement or anyone else there is only a records check. Law Enforcement does not have the authority to make "rulings". They are charged with enforcing the law as it is written. They can not make it up as they go along as you like to say. The authority to deny a gun purchase is highly limited.
I suspect the same is true in Colorado though they did have a spat of idiots being recalled for moronic laws being passed.

It's actually the Sheriff's office that issues the permits. And if your records shows that you have made comments about killing everyone around you you aren't going to get the permit.

Forum List

Back