Should prisoners have the right to vote?

If voting is a right, it can't be taken away from anyone. Only privileges can be taken away.

God bless you always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

P.S. To me, they should still be allowed to vote if the elections matter to them at all anyways.

No for convicted felons. Yes for someone serving a short sentence on a misdemeanor. Yes on felons once they have completed serving their full sentence.

No for convicted felons. Yes for someone serving a short sentence on a misdemeanor. Yes on felons once they have completed serving their full sentence.

If you include the parole period on the loss of the franchise, then i would agree.

If voting is a right, it can't be taken away from anyone. Only privileges can be taken away.

Holly

P.S. To me, they should still be allowed to vote if the elections matter to them at all anyways.

Rights can be taken away by due process. The very act of imprisonment is an infringement of the rights to free speech, assembly, travel, choice of living area and others.

Holly

You're correct, it is a privilege, not a right. Children, non-citizens, etc., may not vote. Commit a crime, lost the privilege.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too.

Really, once they've done their time (or as far as that goes while they're still in) what could they vote for that would harm the country? It's not like there's ever going to be a bill to legalize serial killing or anything.

Forum List

Back