Should Prisoners Be Allowed to Vote?

GunnyL said:
Is that how the law is where you live? It sounds pretty fair. I don't know the current law regarding this issue here, but used to be, here (TX) and in FL, convicted felons lost their right to vote, period.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with reapplying for reinstatement of privileges. It seems more just than the usual black or white laws.
My understanding is that most states give this process to felons. It's up to the governor, much like Clinton did on his way out, thus far from perfect. Yet, at least there has to be some documentation of what was submitted to warrant the pardon.

Kathianne said:
My understanding is that most states give this process to felons. It's up to the governor, much like Clinton did on his way out, thus far from perfect. Yet, at least there has to be some documentation of what was submitted to warrant the pardon.

I'll have to check and see what the acutal process is here. But it seems like a pretty-good weeding-out process.

What I don't agree with is just arbitrarily denying said privileges across the board when there are actually people who for whatever reason pull some bonehead stunt, serve their sentence, and then are forced to keep on paying for it the rest of their lives.

I'm all for personal accountability, but once a debt is paid, it's paid.

GunnyL said:
I can't agree with you on this one. People can make mistakes that result in felony convictions. Our whole legal system is supposed to reside on the premise that once a debt is paid to society, one is free and clear.

While a person is serving his/her sentence, they should not have any but basic human rights. Once that sentence is served however, they should have all their rights restored.

And a listing of which Commandment's specifically were broken is unneccesary. I believe it is written that to violate one of God's laws is to violate them all.

I absolutely agree, though I do believe that, for felons, there should be a reapplication process for voting rights.

And I did say "voting rights." Voting is a right in America. But don't take my word for it:

Amendment XV said:
1. The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude.

Amendment XIX said:
The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex.

Amendment XXIV[/quote said:
The right of citizens of the United States to vote in any primary or other election for President or Vice President, for electors for President or Vice President, or for Senator or Representative in Congress, shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or any State by reason of failure to pay any poll tax or other tax.

Amendment XXVI[/quote said:
The right of citizens of the United States, who are eighteen years of age or older, to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of age.

gop_jeff said:
I absolutely agree, though I do believe that, for felons, there should be a reapplication process for voting rights.

And I did say "voting rights." Voting is a right in America. But don't take my word for it:

The right of citizens of the United States to vote in any primary or other election for President or Vice President, for electors for President or Vice President, or for Senator or Representative in Congress, shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or any State by reason of failure to pay any poll tax or other tax.

The right of citizens of the United States, who are eighteen years of age or older, to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of age.[/quote][/QUOTE]

If a 'right' needs a modifier, it's not a right. Age, sex, race, religion, are NOT criminal record. Funny how it's 'later' amendments, when 'rights' and entitlements grow hand in hand, at least in 'theory'.

Forum List

Back