Should Prisoners Be Allowed to Vote?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Adam's Apple, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Adam's Apple

Adam's Apple Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +447
  2. fuzzykitten99

fuzzykitten99 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    You'll have to check the Marauder's Map...
    Ratings:
    +199
    NO! They broke the law, so what makes them think they can have a say in helping change it? Don't like it? too bad---should have thought of that before committing the crime

3. JOKER96BRAVO

JOKER96BRAVO Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +285
    I say no.

4. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,153
    Prisoners deffinately shouldnt be allowed to vote. They lost their rights by committing the crimes. (except of course for due process rights).

However, I think after the sentence is over and they have paid their dues to society they should get the opportunity to vote back if they show themselves truly reformed. thats just my opinion though. we can open that one up for debate. but we deffinately shouldnt let prisoners vote.

5. Trigg

Trigg Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +69

I agree, once they're out I think they should be able to vote. But not while they're in jail.

6. Working Man

Working Man Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +47
    If you get busted for smoking some weed, then I say sure. You can still vote.

If you think Martha Stewert was framed for something like what you did,, No,,, your voting days are over.

If you were indicted and convicted after you hacked your parents into bite size pieces and then finished dinner with a Chianti,,, then no,,,, I don't think you should be able to vote..

If you think that Hillary Clinton is the right woman for President,,, then not only don't you get to vote, but you have to dine with the parent hacker....Bon Appatite.

7. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I disagree. Once convicted of a serious crime, you have given up the privilege of enfranchisment. IMO

8. Yurt

Yurt Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,038
    No right to vote in prison/jail. Many reasons.

You have given up many other free rights as well, like the fundamental right to travel, etc... So voting should also not be allowed. There is less reliability in a prisoner voting. Captive audience, threats from other prisoners (much more viable than outside of prison)... List goes on, but those are the first issues that come to mind

9. Trigg

Trigg Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +69

Serious crimes like murder, I can probably agree with you.

10. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616

After they have served their time, if they want to vote they are allowed to. In this state at least. However, franchising those who are still paying for their crimes is simply wrong. There is nothing to suggest that those who are serving time for breaking laws should be allowed to vote on those very laws, or even on the people that may or may not change the laws. Think of the whole new dynamic of Candidates campaigning for votes at Prisons. Not only that but Candidates could use their incarceration to buy votes, granting such things as Pardons, etc in exchange for their votes. Too easy to corrupt the system with this particular idea. Keep the ones in Prison or still no Parole from voting. It is clearly in society's best interest.