Should Prior Military Service be Required to Serve in Congress?

Should Candidates for Congress Have Prior Military Service

• Yes

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • No

Votes: 17 70.8%

• Total voters
image.jpg

That's this candidate's stand for a seat in the San Diego, Calif area.

Former Navy SEAL Josh Butner, a congressional candidate from Calif., is under fire for comments he made taking a shot at his Democratic opponent for Congress, saying, “It should be a requirement to have served to even run.”

The comment came in an interview with Voice of San Diego.

When you look at anybody for any political office you should look at their past experiences. I served for 23 years,” Butner said in the interview. “It shows dedication and you’ve been exposed to foreign policy at the tip of the spear. I learned a lot about cultures, in conflict and cooperation. It should be a requirement to have served to even run.”

It is not a constitutional requirement but I think it makes a great deal of sense. It also does not necessarily mean once they're in they will be true conservatives as McCain shows us. At least they will have "been in the trenches" and experience in actually serving this country.

What's your take?

From Calif. congressional candidate, a Navy vet, says prior service should be required to run for office
Bragging or Complaining - Served 23 Years
The military has an acronym for L.I.F.E.R.
and it is not someone you want in politics

Never ran for office. Never held a government job as a civilian. Worked as a security guard, sold AMWAY,worked as a cashier/advisor in a pick-a-part junkyard, drove the city bus, drove a tour bus and gave guided tours, drove an airport shuttle, and drove a taxi until I lost my commercial drivers license for being insulin dependent.

You?

image.jpg

That's this candidate's stand for a seat in the San Diego, Calif area.

Former Navy SEAL Josh Butner, a congressional candidate from Calif., is under fire for comments he made taking a shot at his Democratic opponent for Congress, saying, “It should be a requirement to have served to even run.”

The comment came in an interview with Voice of San Diego.

When you look at anybody for any political office you should look at their past experiences. I served for 23 years,” Butner said in the interview. “It shows dedication and you’ve been exposed to foreign policy at the tip of the spear. I learned a lot about cultures, in conflict and cooperation. It should be a requirement to have served to even run.”

It is not a constitutional requirement but I think it makes a great deal of sense. It also does not necessarily mean once they're in they will be true conservatives as McCain shows us. At least they will have "been in the trenches" and experience in actually serving this country.

What's your take?

From Calif. congressional candidate, a Navy vet, says prior service should be required to run for office
Bragging or Complaining - Served 23 Years
The military has an acronym for L.I.F.E.R.
and it is not someone you want in politics

Never ran for office. Never held a government job as a civilian. Worked as a security guard, sold AMWAY,worked as a cashier/advisor in a pick-a-part junkyard, drove the city bus, drove a tour bus and gave guided tours, drove an airport shuttle, and drove a taxi until I lost my commercial drivers license for being insulin dependent.

You?
Wht does that have to do with the price of tea in China?
Doesn't matter what you or I have done, Military Service should not be a requirement for running for office.

Forum List

Back