Should Pizza Guys be Forced to Deliver in Bad Neighborhoods?

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
PHILADELPHIA (CBS 3) ― A pizza deliveryman was shot and killed during a robbery in the Belmont section of Philadelphia.

Authorities say the victim, who works for Accu Pizza, was shot while making a delivery at 41st and Aspen Streets at about 10 p.m. Wednesday.

Police arrived to find 36-year-old Kouakou Jacques of Upper Darby lying in the street with a gunshot wound to the neck. Jacques was rushed to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania where he died.

Investigators said Jacques responded to a call for pizza, but found the address was a vacant lot where the suspect(s) were hiding out.

"It's very, very unfortunate that you have a hard-working individual that's just trying to make ends meet for his family, who's delivering pizza, and gets robbed and ultimately loses his life," Captain James Clark explained.

Clark said the set-up call came from a pay phone near the scene of the deadly robbery.

Investigators said an undisclosed amount of money was stolen form Jacques.

This is the second time in the last two weeks that a pizza deliveryman has been robbed and killed. On January 10, Jaime Orozco-Torres, 60, suffered a fatal heart attack after being carjacked and robbed while making a delivery in West Oak Lane. Four teens were arrested in that incident.

Police say they have no suspects in the latest deadly robbery and ask anyone with information to contact authorities.

Pizza Deliveryman Shot And Killed During Robbery In Belmont - cbs3.com

I remember some controversy years ago because some delivery people were refusing to go certain places. My question is: Is that discriminatory?

Private sector. Doesn't matter whether its discriminatory or not, they are entitled to either deliver or not deliver as they deem appropriate. Personally, if I owned a pizza business there - I wouldn't ask my staff to deliver in that area.

no one should be forced into a violent situation....if the area is violent then they have to drive out for their pizza...no one should be risking thier lives

PHILADELPHIA (CBS 3) ― A pizza deliveryman was shot and killed during a robbery in the Belmont section of Philadelphia.

Authorities say the victim, who works for Accu Pizza, was shot while making a delivery at 41st and Aspen Streets at about 10 p.m. Wednesday.

Police arrived to find 36-year-old Kouakou Jacques of Upper Darby lying in the street with a gunshot wound to the neck. Jacques was rushed to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania where he died.

Investigators said Jacques responded to a call for pizza, but found the address was a vacant lot where the suspect(s) were hiding out.

"It's very, very unfortunate that you have a hard-working individual that's just trying to make ends meet for his family, who's delivering pizza, and gets robbed and ultimately loses his life," Captain James Clark explained.

Clark said the set-up call came from a pay phone near the scene of the deadly robbery.

This is the second time in the last two weeks that a pizza deliveryman has been robbed and killed. On January 10, Jaime Orozco-Torres, 60, suffered a fatal heart attack after being carjacked and robbed while making a delivery in West Oak Lane. Four teens were arrested in that incident.

Police say they have no suspects in the latest deadly robbery and ask anyone with information to contact authorities.

I remember some controversy years ago because some delivery people were refusing to go certain places. My question is: Is that discriminatory?

No it is not. We have a section of town that is renowned for robberies and drugs, You can not get a pizza delivered there.

many times in big cities ...cabbies wont go there....i have encountered this many times on sight seeing tours at night....you hire a cabbie for some many hours...and they will simply tell you the places they aint going....or what i love..they will take you there but not wait....hello...i aint gonna flag a cab at st louis cemetary number 1....but no money would get a cabbie to agree to wait

Discriminatory against violence, yes. Illegal, no.

Its a private business and they are allowed to define which areas they will deliver in. A taxi cab is different because they have to register and receive a permit. The areas they cover may be a condition of that permit

What about service people like plumbers and other contractors? If they are licensed by the state, do they have to service dangerous neighborhoods? Just curious.

Should Pizza Guys be Forced to Deliver in Bad Neighborhoods? ...

No and no. This happened a few years ago in a neighborhood in Little Rock. Of course, the neighborhood was a black neighborhood and people cried 'discrimination', but a man died. Even the US Postal Service had to discontinue service to a neighborhood because somebody was shooting at the mailmen. Sorry if someone feels this is discrimination or racism, but I wouldn't expect people to put their lives on the line for a pizza.

I'm more concerned as to why we allow violent neighborhoods to develop than whether pizza delivery should be mandatory in them.

The pizza joints could do themselves a favor and not deliver to requests made from pay phones. That is how some pizza joints deal with the hazards that their delivery men face.
I also think that there should be some sort of exception allowing delivery drivers and postal workers, etc, to carry guns.
I don't think that stopping delivery to a certain neighborhood is going to help the issue any, and it certainly would not be good for business, especially since poorer neighborhoods are more prone to needing to have the pizzas delivered to them, due to lack of transportation. In fact, poorer neighborhoods tend to tip pizza men better than elite neighborhoods do, because they can empathize better with the working class delivery man.

I really don't think that getting murdered while delivering a pizza is a common occurrence, but apparently the pizza joint owners in this particular neighborhood need to tighten up a little in being more selective about who they accept orders from.

Blacks always complain about being "underserved"... gee, whose fault is that?

Same reason nobody can run big-box stores in black neighborhoods... you lose too much money on theft, guard services, robberies, insurance, shoplifting, you name it.

I think pizza delivery drivers should be forced to deliver beer as well as pizza.

It's like peanut butter without jelly. You gotta have them both.

My response to this is that the delivery driver absolutely has the right to refuse to deliver a pizza or whatever and his employer absolutely has the right to fire him/her for not doing his/her job.

Its a private business and they are allowed to define which areas they will deliver in. A taxi cab is different because they have to register and receive a permit. The areas they cover may be a condition of that permit

I'm more concerned as to why we allow violent neighborhoods to develop than whether pizza delivery should be mandatory in them.

My response to this is that the delivery driver absolutely has the right to refuse to deliver a pizza or whatever and his employer absolutely has the right to fire him/her for not doing his/her job.

What they said.

Forum List

Back