Should people have to perform/provide services for gay weddings?

If someone is open for business and someone walks into that business seeking that service, as advertised, the business has an obligation to provide the product.

When a business is a personal service, the business should have far more latitude in which kinds of people they will provide that personal service to. Baked goods is a product and a bakery obligated to sell baked goods to anyone who walks through the door who wants to buy. Baking a wedding cake, having it constructed on site, is a personal service. Photography is a personal service, psychological counseling is a personal service, massage therapy is a personal service, painting portraits is a personal service. When it comes to a service that requires the provider to actually attend and participate in the client's activities, it enters into an entirely new category and should be entirely under the control of the provider.

I love how homosexuals in particular claim Christians are bigots, but don't mind tearing someone down at the drop of a hat, if they don't agree with/cooperate with their ideals.

Not all Christians are bigots. Some of my best friends are Christians and are quite nice to people different than themselves. :D

homosexuals are more bigoted by percentage then Christians

What will happen is that the only photographer in a five zillion mile radius will just stop being a wedding photographer. The photographer might do wedding photography for friends or relatives, but no longer offers such services to the general public. Now Jill and Jane will either go without, have wedding photographs taken by cell phone, or go beyond he five zillion mile radius.

Someone will see an opportunity and start a business to fill that void. It's the American way.

I love how homosexuals in particular claim Christians are bigots, but don't mind tearing someone down at the drop of a hat, if they don't agree with/cooperate with their ideals.

Not all Christians are bigots. Some of my best friends are Christians and are quite nice to people different than themselves. :D

homosexuals are more bigoted by percentage then Christians

Oh? And the link to proof, please.

What will happen is that the only photographer in a five zillion mile radius will just stop being a wedding photographer. The photographer might do wedding photography for friends or relatives, but no longer offers such services to the general public. Now Jill and Jane will either go without, have wedding photographs taken by cell phone, or go beyond he five zillion mile radius.

Someone will see an opportunity and start a business to fill that void. It's the American way.

That's what SHOULD happen. But gays don't want just any photographer, they want this one specific photographer. Put two in any area, one advertises that same sex weddings is a specialty, the other advertising Bible verses and the gay couple will put the squeeze on the Bible verses instead of the person looking for their business.

What's the fun in paying someone who wants your business when you can force someone else instead.

That's what SHOULD happen. But gays don't want just any photographer, they want this one specific photographer. Put two in any area, one advertises that same sex weddings is a specialty, the other advertising Bible verses and the gay couple will put the squeeze on the Bible verses instead of the person looking for their business.

What's the fun in paying someone who wants your business when you can force someone else instead.
What are the laws in that state concerning businesses and their ability to reject business based on discrimination towards a group?

What are the laws in that state concerning businesses and their ability to reject business based on discrimination towards a group?

I love this ruling.

If Elane Photography took photographs on its own time and sold them at a gallery, or if it was hired by certain clients but did not offer its services to the general public, the law would not apply to Elane Photography’s choice of whom to photograph or not.

Elane Photography v. Vanessa Willock

This should be the law of the land.

the real question you should ask yourself, should a business be force to do business with Black people marring white people ???? I think that puts your post into a better perspective on what the law says .... my answer would be yes ... I mead if you were a business person and some gay couple came to you with a 2 million dollar budget to marry them would you say NO ... ABSOLUTELY NOT ... or would your moral values come into play ???? in my opinion they would say yes I will ... wheres as a couple who would pay a couple of thousand dollars, your types would say nooooooo !!!!!!! it offends my moral turpitude

I tend to think that if someone comes into your place of business, you have an obligation to offer the service to them. Like if a black person wanted his knee examined by one of our doctors, we would assign her/him a doctor and the examination would take place. I couldn't anyone saying the black should be refused healthcare.

In the case of wedding photographers/caterers/clergy etc... it's a bit different. If you sign a contract to provide service then wish to break the contract after you find out they are homosexual, interracial, etc...you deserved to get sued and you deserve to lose. Caveat empor (they are spending their time).

If you take a meeting and you find out that Jill and Jane are getting married and you say "I don't do gay weddings, get out of my studio", I think you have every right to bow out before you obligate yourself. If you're the only photographer in a five zillion mile radius...too bad. Jill and Jane will have to do without photography done by you.
Gay is an obscene choice not the same as race. The business owner has the right to refuse service to anyone, PERIOD!!

Not as obscene as the choice of being an idiot; a choice you've clearly made.

If someone is open for business and someone walks into that business seeking that service, as advertised, the business has an obligation to provide the product.

When a business is a personal service, the business should have far more latitude in which kinds of people they will provide that personal service to. Baked goods is a product and a bakery obligated to sell baked goods to anyone who walks through the door who wants to buy. Baking a wedding cake, having it constructed on site, is a personal service. Photography is a personal service, psychological counseling is a personal service, massage therapy is a personal service, painting portraits is a personal service. When it comes to a service that requires the provider to actually attend and participate in the client's activities, it enters into an entirely new category and should be entirely under the control of the provider.

Trade is for goods or services received. This is much ado about NOTHING.
All anyone has to say is "the press of other business has it where I can not bake your cake".
Happens all the time in the service industries.

I tend to think that if someone comes into your place of business, you have an obligation to offer the service to them. Like if a black person wanted his knee examined by one of our doctors, we would assign her/him a doctor and the examination would take place. I couldn't anyone saying the black should be refused healthcare.

In the case of wedding photographers/caterers/clergy etc... it's a bit different. If you sign a contract to provide service then wish to break the contract after you find out they are homosexual, interracial, etc...you deserved to get sued and you deserve to lose. Caveat empor (they are spending their time).

If you take a meeting and you find out that Jill and Jane are getting married and you say "I don't do gay weddings, get out of my studio", I think you have every right to bow out before you obligate yourself. If you're the only photographer in a five zillion mile radius...too bad. Jill and Jane will have to do without photography done by you.
Gay is an obscene choice not the same as race. The business owner has the right to refuse service to anyone, PERIOD!!

he's not an idiot....the choices of the left are very obscene....

They do it for conservatives. Who does more for the country? Gays or conservatives?

On Face the Nation this morning Bob Schieffer was surprised to hear that people such as bakers and photographers are facing fines and possibly jail time for not providing their services to gay weddings. Whatever you feel about whether people should be forced to facilitate something they are religiously opposed to, it says a lot about the media coverage that Schieffer didn't even know about it.

Do you feel people who are religiously opposed to gay marriage should have to cater to gay weddings?

Obama said he won't make churches perform gay weddings. So, if we believe him, that one little corner of culture might not be forced to change. But everything else is fair game, isn't it.

Public schools will be actively attempting to make children view gay marriage as normal. Adoption agencies will be penalized for not arranging for children to be placed with gay couples. And bakers could lose thousands of dollars or go to jail if they refuse to put two plastic men on top of a wedding cake.

NO...NO ONE can have charges brought against them for denying commerce/service especially when it clashes with the First Amendment.

SURE they can launch a lawsuit...but ANY judge that says otherwise and forces it? Needs to be yanked from the courts.

(And Yes I know there was a couple. Those judges need to be deposed).

And IF the Gay blades use the RACE argument? I will simply ask when did "GAY" become a race?

What they are after is FORCED acceptance, using the power of Gubmint. It's unconscionable.

he's not an idiot....the choices of the left are very obscene....

Wow, you should do something about it. For example, the union movement gave us the 40 hour week and you get overtime for 40+ hours in most cases. You should refuse any overtime pay. That'll show them.

Forum List

Back