Should People Be Forced To Join A Union And Pay Dues?

Should PPL Be Forced To Join A Union And Pay Dues As Condition Of Their Right To Work

• Total voters

Publius1787

Gold Member
Jan 11, 2011
Should People Be Forced To Join A Union And Pay Dues As A Condition Of Their Right To Work?

Last edited:
no they shouldn't , which is why I am glad to live in a right to work state.

Should People Be Forced To Join A Union And Pay Dues As A Condition Of Their Right To Work?

No

What you describe is more commonly called extortion.

Your exactly right but it happens all the time. You know why? Let me show you the madness.

1. A business votes to Unionize.
2. They collect the dues from those who want to be part of the union.
3. The business starts to descriminate against those who arent in the union because its easeyer to fire them as opposed to the union labor.
4. The union refuses to represent the guy who pays no dues.
5. Now both the union and the business are descriminating aginst the non unionized employee.
6. Both the union and the business are sued.
7. The union is busted and the business loses money.
8. The union goes to their state represenatives that they bought off with union dues.
9. The represenative and his buddies vote for legislation that forces everyone to pay dues reguardless of whether they are in a union or not.
10. The unions win and keep bribing polititions and increasing the prices of goods and services until the business becomes so uncompetitive that it has no choice but to move to a diffrent state or go overseas. Currently, moving overseas is leagle while moving to a different state is not. Funny how that works out huh? See Boeing.

And that is how liberty dies ladies and gentlemen. How is this process constitutional? Exactly how can a group of workers demand higher wages, go on strike when they dont get them, and not be fired?

Last edited:
no they shouldn't , which is why I am glad to live in a right to work state.

So why is this so popular among the left? And why hasnt anyone voted yes? If everyone agrees its a bad system then why not get rid of it? Is this so clear of a wrong that even leftists wont own up to it or attempt to defend it?

Last edited:

I have no problem with people not being forced to join unions and pay dues...but they should also not reap the benefits of when unions negotiate new contracts and/or raises.

Its a descrimination lawsuit waiting to happen. Once they fire a dozen non unionised employees to pay for the pay increases of the unionised ones who are much harder to fire youve got descrimination on your hands. Thus extortion begets more extortion. Its morality is so ass backwards that you must continue to destroy morality to maintain its upkeep.

So I shouldn't need to get 'legal' status and pay taxes to work?

Filling out your 1099 and paying your income taxes is NOT joining a union. Good grief.
I'm being forced to seek permission from the ingroup in order to work and to document my acceptance. Hell, both even give me a card to prove my status as a member of the ingroup who's permitted to sell my labour power in accordance with the rules set forth by the collective.

The only difference is one of scale.

Last edited:
Statistically, union members get paid more than non-union labor in the same field - and that difference is significantly more than what they pay in union dues.

Why should someone get paid more than others in his field if he doesn't pay dues to the organization that got him those better wages?

I'm being forced to seek permission from the ingroup in order to work and to document my acceptance. Hell, both even give me a card to prove my status as a member of the ingroup who's permitted to sell my labour power in accordance with the rules set forth by the collective.

By the "ingroup" I assume you mean the union. Who is "both groups?" However, I don't see the point of your post. Are you making excuses for compulsory union membership?

Statistically, union members get paid more than non-union labor in the same field - and that difference is significantly more than what they pay in union dues.

Why should someone get paid more than others in his field if he doesn't pay dues to the organization that got him those better wages?

Why should anyone be forced to join an organization they don't want to be part of? The Constitution protects your "freedom of association." That includes the right to not associate. Compulsory unionism is unconstitutional.

By the "ingroup" I assume you mean the union. Who is "both groups?" However, I don't see the point of your post. Are you making excuses for compulsory union membership?
I'm saying you have no principles.

It's fine for one group to say outsiders aren't allowed to work but not for another to?

If you oppose 'forced unionization' on any 'libertarian' grounds or because you think you should be able to sell your labour power without needing permission from a bunch of people who want to force you to play by their rules so you don't outbidding them, then you should be raising the exact same objection to nationalism. Who are you to tell me where, to whom, and on what terms I can sell my labour power?

Both sides demand you be in the ingroup

Both want you to register as a member of the ingroup, whether ICE or the union boss keeps the records

Both want to give you a card- one might be 'green' [well, used to be green] and the other red, but they're both demanding you have a card proving you've been accepted into the ingroup and given permission to work according to the rules/laws set by the collective.

Both then want to take a portion of your pay. One calls it taxes, the other calls it dues- neither wants to give you a choice.

As I said, the only difference at all is one of scale. You have a problem with the local union and more local control, but you're more than happy to do what you're told when Der Staat tells you because bigger government and more centralized control- a system in which you have no real say at all (Big Daddy Government) is better to a system in which you can actually have a say in how things are done (local unions, at least in theory).

But you don't have any principles at all. You're just another nationalist repeating whatever the Party tells you.

Should PPL Be Forced To Join A Union And Pay Dues As Condition Of Their Right To Work

No. religion should be a free matter of choice with no coercion.

Forum List

Back