Should Parents Pay the Bill

Maratime vessels coming to the aid of other vessells in distress is a standard courtisy. The french fishing boat is volunteering to rescue her. They are not mercenaries.

However, I do think the parents should pay for the charter Quantis plane sent to track her signal call.

You obviously are clueless to maritime customs. ANY ship that receives an SOS on the sea and is nearby comes to the rescue.

I'm marking you down as :cuckoo:

He is not the only one out there.....hes not alone :lol::lol::lol:

It would be S O O O boring without the retards ...:lol:

Gunny! please :lol: you cant call them retards anymore its offensive you know.

They are Developmentally challenged

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I concur with the above intelligent folks... It's a standard practice for any vessel in the vicinity of an SOS signal to respond. Back in my old Navy days, we did it quite often while stationed on Navy ships. I don't know if responding to an SOS signal is required by law or not, but usually everybody drops what they are doing and steams full speed ahead to a distress signal.

Put me down as a NO. Having said that, the parents let a 16 year old take an ill equipped boat into the Indian Ocean at the worst possible time of the year weatherwise. They should feel beholden to Austraila and France for saving their daughter's butt, their poor decision making ability almost cost her her life.

French fishing vessel steams toward stranded teen - Yahoo! News

for this kid's rescue?

Mark me down as a YES!!!!!!!

You obviously are clueless to maritime customs. ANY ship that receives an SOS on the sea and is nearby comes to the rescue.

I'm marking you down as :cuckoo:

I fish often and use guides most of the time. Over the years we have stopped fishing and towed other boats back to shore. The guides tell the customers tough luck, try to make up the time if they can but never not help because they have a paying customer.
I have fished long enough to have been on the other end also! DIW is something you can not predict and someone WILL come if close by. $ is not an issue at sea.

You always, every single time, help a fellow mariner in distress if you a physically able to.

Always. No exceptions. And no expectations of payment.

nrafucktard.

I concur with the above intelligent folks... It's a standard practice for any vessel in the vicinity of an SOS signal to respond. Back in my old Navy days, we did it quite often while stationed on Navy ships. I don't know if responding to an SOS signal is required by law or not, but usually everybody drops what they are doing and steams full speed ahead to a distress signal.

There is a maritime law.

The RMS Carpathia (the Stockholm actually was the shit that collided with the Adrea Doria) was the closest and first responder to the RMS Titianic's distress signal.

Distress signal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

French fishing vessel steams toward stranded teen - Yahoo! News

for this kid's rescue?

Mark me down as a YES!!!!!!!

Once again you exhibit your idiocy. Since you allege that you are a Christian I will simply quote Luke 10:34-35

And went to [him], and bound up his wounds, pouring in oil and wine, and set him on his own beast, and brought him to an inn, and took care of him.
And on the morrow when he departed, he took out two pence, and gave [them] to the host, and said unto him, Take care of him; and whatsoever thou spendest more, when I come again, I will repay thee.

Notice how the Good Samaritan simply helped, and paid for all expenses, and guaranteed future expenses out of his own pocket? That is what good neighbors do, help when needed without expecting anything in return. Australia is being a good neighbor by not sending the family a bill, and the fishing vessel is also being a good neighbor.

There is actually a quite simple reason for this, they know that they, or someone they know, might be in the same situation someday. They are hoping that the bad neighbor policy you espouse will not be the norm, and that the one they contribute to will continue to rule. Why don't you go climb back under the slimy rock you belong under and leave the thinking to the adults?

There seems to be two issues here. Should the ship that is rescuing her charge her parents? No, because that is the law of the sea, you respond to a distress signal, BUT this distress signal was passed on along by a SAR effort that IMO the parents should pay for.

Here's a question I have , and I really don't know. Could the ship that rescues the brat claim her ship as salvage?

Well, everyone already said it...

As for the whole parents thing well... I mean, what I wonder is what if this had been a 32 year old dude? Wouldn't his family have also been worried about a distress signal and had people go around searching for him? Or was all this effort just made cuz it was a 16 year old girl?

I mean, it's not like she was some doofus, she didn't fuck up her boat, it seems like this could've happened to anyone. She apparently had been sailing all her life and whatever. That's not to say that I'd ever let any potential future offspring do anything of the sort, but... I dunno, maybe they were just really confident on their daughters abilities. To be fair she was almost halfway there and seemed to have been doing pretty well.

Well, then again, I'm 22 and imagine I can't really have any good parenting opinions. IASDHAOPSd

There seems to be two issues here. Should the ship that is rescuing her charge her parents? No, because that is the law of the sea, you respond to a distress signal, BUT this distress signal was passed on along by a SAR effort that IMO the parents should pay for.

Here's a question I have , and I really don't know. Could the ship that rescues the brat claim her ship as salvage?

Not as long as she is in it when they find it, salvage applies only to abandoned vessels.

Forum List

Back