Should Our National Motto Be Formally Reverted Back to "El Pluribus Unum"?

Sep 30, 2011
This is the question that I've been trying to answer and as a Christian, this is a tough question to answer. The First Amendment clearly states that Congress should not respect the establishment of religion which is where the "separation of church and state" comes from. In the 1956 ruling, Dwight Eisenhower signed into law from Congress to make "In God We Trust" the official motto of this nation by law. The "El Pluribus Unum" motto was never an officially established law but it was informally our motto since the American Revolution.

As I do my research I'm realizing that this particular motto holds to American values very dearly in regards to independence, liberty and brotherhood amongst your fellow man (mankind). The "In God We Trust" motto holds to American values too but its often narrowly defined; in the 1950s, the perceived majority in the United States were Christians but this isn't entirely true. This is often classified as a generalization because by using logic, you don't have to necessarily Christian to be a strong advocate for family values and the like. A matter of fact, Christianity may be a dominated religion in the United States but that doesn't mean the majority of the Citizenry follow it.

The majority of the Citizenry do believe in a Higher Power, God or Supreme Being though in which sort of justifies the motto but if you look at the trend in the U.S. Congress in the 50s, the majority of them were Democrats (Southern and Northern) who held particular religious views. The fact that I'm trying to bring here is that the intentions of the Congress at this particular time with the perceived notion could in fact be a violation of the First Amendment. Now, if somebody in Congress today would challenge this law to the Supreme Court to give a definition on the term, "God" whether it refers a God of a certain religion or not, the law simply cannot be justified on Constitutional grounds.

Thus, I conclude that this law is unconstitutional. What do you think of this issue? I've taken the initiative to create a more articulated petition about this issue with language that would most definitely received a better response. There are petitions that address this issue on the White House site but they are quite frankly, not very articulated and lack substance to the extent they don't demand anything in specific except "remove the motto". My petition is more grounded into law and the respect to the Constitution by repealing a law in such language in which I believe people can accept and hopefully receive enough signatures to get a response. If you're wanting to support this cause, I suggest you sign the petition and help promote it. If you know any organizations, I don't care if their exclusively non-religious but tell them to promote this petition too. This sort of thing should get attention and we need a response from the Obama Administration to see where they stand and how far will they go. It is an election season you know...

Would you mind supporting this petition? If so, would you mind helping me out by promoting it to your fans either on Twitter or Facebook or even in a video? Thanks, pal.

Link: http://wh.gov/bSz

Last edited:
in god we trust arose out of the civil war to try and heal the nation......

making it our official motto "in god we trust" and putting "under god" in our pledge were knee jerk reactions to the cold war with soviet union that had aithism as its official state "religion"

"god" is so vague that is why it is not unconstitutional.. any law the specifically defined which religions god would be struck down by the courts, but that woudl not automatically strike down it being our motto.......

in the scheme of things, i dont find them pressing matters enough to worry about getting them changed.......

It would only be window-dressing as the Robert'$ Court has already ruled in favor of businesses (factions). From here on out, we'll have the best gov't $ can buy :rolleyes:

Last edited:

making it our official motto "in god we trust" and putting "under god" in our pledge were knee jerk reactions to the cold war with soviet union that had aithism as its official state "religion"

"god" is so vague that is why it is not unconstitutional.. any law the specifically defined which religions god would be struck down by the courts, but that woudl not automatically strike down it being our motto.......

in the scheme of things, i dont find them pressing matters enough to worry about getting them changed.......

You think too negatively.

It should be:

"Our sabotaged educational system graduates retards too fucking stupid to even read English, what makes you think they'll understand Latin?"

Last edited:
It should be:

"Our sabotaged educational system graduates retards too fucking stupid to even read English, what makes you think they'll understand Latin?"

It's not that language that is the issue, here, it's the meaning of our original motto and how it it's exactly what the United States is about.

Our motto should be...

I want Social Security, Medicare, and a strong Defense, but I don't want to pay taxes.

You think too negatively.

No, he actually has a point. "In God We Trust" is not an establishment of religion, or respecting an establishment of religion (depending on how you interpret that phrase). Christianity is not actually a specific religion, whatever non-believers might think. It's a vast umbrella encompassing many religions, making it vague and general enough to not come in conflict with the First Amendment (leaving aside, of course, that a national motto is hardly creating a state-sanctioned church, the original concern of the First Amendment).

It should be:

Well, Al Gore sure as hell didn't. Remember when he thought "E Pluribus Unum" (it's not "El", guys) meant "out of one, many"?

It should be:

It's not that language that is the issue, here, it's the meaning of our original motto and how it it's exactly what the United States is about.

Technically, dear, we never had an "original motto". "E Pluribus Unum" was never official.

And the United States is about a lot of things. It's a pretty big and complex enterprise, being a 235-year-old country with a population of 300+ million people, and all.

Forum List

Back