Should Obese Children Be Removed From Their Parents Care?

Noomi

Ninja Kicker
Jul 6, 2012
Australia
My state of Victoria has reportedly removed two children from their parents because of their weight, and it is predicted that more children will be removed.

If a parent isn't managing the weight of their child, should the parent forfeit the right to keep their child?

Authorities are using kids' bulging waistlines as a justification for taking them from their parents' care.

At least two children in Victoria have been removed from their parents because of their weight.

And it is predicted there will be more cases to come.

Associate Professor John Dixon from the Baker IDI Heart and Diabetes Institute told the ABC that sometimes taking children away from their parents is the best option.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/national/victorian-authorities-remove-obese-children-removed-from-their-parents/story-fndo48ca-1226424413140

I support this. I think that there is no excuse for kids to be so overweight. It is the fault of the parents for taking the child to McDonalds for Happy Meals, and letting them eat junk instead of cooking them a healthy meal. If the kids are removed from the care of the parents, it might just be the wake up call the parent needs to change their lifestyle.

Thoughts?

Where is the child placed?

With strangers?

I'm sure that's great for weight control -- just amp up the stress. That will help.

What if the strangers abuse the child? Can he sue the government for taking him away from the people who love him and placing him with abusers?

Sad world when the government has so much control over a parents right to raise their kids any way they wish to. It's not illegal to be obese. Maybe not smart but as far as I know so far it's not illegal.

My state of Victoria has reportedly removed two children from their parents because of their weight, and it is predicted that more children will be removed.

If a parent isn't managing the weight of their child, should the parent forfeit the right to keep their child?

Authorities are using kids' bulging waistlines as a justification for taking them from their parents' care.

At least two children in Victoria have been removed from their parents because of their weight.

Associate Professor John Dixon from the Baker IDI Heart and Diabetes Institute told the ABC that sometimes taking children away from their parents is the best option.

Cookies must be enabled | Herald Sun

I support this. I think that there is no excuse for kids to be so overweight. It is the fault of the parents for taking the child to McDonalds for Happy Meals, and letting them eat junk instead of cooking them a healthy meal. If the kids are removed from the care of the parents, it might just be the wake up call the parent needs to change their lifestyle.

Thoughts?

Good lord no!!

I know 4 people that were in the system, all were either used or abused.

It's not the governments job to 'force' compliance with what it considers a moral lifestyle.

Once vile crap like this starts; smokers will lose thier kids
people in small abodes will lose them
loud music
tattoos
cursing

Once you open that gate, you don't get a say in when the government stops, b/c you've given the right to say what's right and wrong away.

Thoughts?

YES,BUT ONLY IF YOU BAN MACCA'S AND ALL TAKE AWAY FOOD OUTLETS FIRST.steve:cool: EVERYONE WOULD BE SLIMMER AND A LOT HEALTHIER SO IT WOULD NOT BE AN ISSUE,ON REFECTION NO CHILD SHOULD BE TAKEN FROM THEIR FAMILY,FOR MANY OBVIOUS REASONS.....BUT BANNING FAST FOOD IS A MUST TO PRESERVE THE HEALTH OF EVERYONE,INCLUDING CHILDREN

Last edited:
The problem is though that when the child is obese, they usually have poor health. Poor health can lead to health problems. Being obese at such a young age could actually kill a child.

Isn't the parent guilty of child abuse for allowing the child to get so fat in the first place? If a parent allowed their 10 year old to smoke, they'd be charged with child abuse, so why don't we do the same for the parents of obese children? By allowing their children to get so overweight, they are neglecting them, putting their health, and lives, at risk, and if removing the children from their care is the only thing that will stop that parent from ignoring their children, then so be it.

An entirely inappropriate way to treat the obesity epidemic.

How about tackling it at the root cause.

Poor people aren't fat strictly due to habits of laziness and inability to have personal responsibility. A big source of the problem is in the type of food they eat.

Why do you think countries such as Greece who have one of the healthiest diets in the world, are suddenly becoming one of the fattest when they drift away onto a diet of processed foods very much like us?

An increasingly sedentary lifestyle is only ONE of the causes.

Last edited:
The problem is though that when the child is obese, they usually have poor health. Poor health can lead to health problems. Being obese at such a young age could actually kill a child.

Isn't the parent guilty of child abuse for allowing the child to get so fat in the first place? If a parent allowed their 10 year old to smoke, they'd be charged with child abuse, so why don't we do the same for the parents of obese children? By allowing their children to get so overweight, they are neglecting them, putting their health, and lives, at risk, and if removing the children from their care is the only thing that will stop that parent from ignoring their children, then so be it.

You're a fucking dingbat.

Parents are guilty of child abuse if they permit their children to become obese.

Warrior 102 obviously does not like or care about children.

Thoughts?

Too bad the State didn't remove you from your parents, as a young child. Your parents raised you to be pantywaste. I don't think there's any excuse for that.

Raising a child to be a racist and a follower of xenophobia and nativism is a clear example of child abuse, and cause for a child to be removed from the family.

Make ALL children wards of the state. No parents involved. Then they can grow up to be the mindless lemmings the totalitarian state needs to survive.

:thup:

You're a fucking dingbat.

You haven't even bothered to explain your point of view in this thread, instead insulting me for asking a valid question.

Too bad the State didn't remove you from your parents, as a young child. Your parents raised you to be pantywaste. I don't think there's any excuse for that.

Yeah, I agree. Its shocking that my parents raised me not to be the lazy sort who sit in front of the TV playing video games and eating junk food, getting so fat and then blaming the fast food joints for the fact their kids are overweight.:eusa_hand:

Thoughts?

Are you the Property of the State?

Are you the Property of the State?

Certainly not. I am not the property of my parents either as I am old enough to make my own decisions. But what of parents who allow their children to get hugely overweight yet turn a blind eye to it.

It seems that many here would prefer the child get fatter and fatter, rather than intervene.

What exactly has the State tried at and failed at before considering separating a Family? Or is the First Step? A Gym Membership might be nice? YMCA type Kid's program? Swimming? Summer Camp?

What exactly has the State tried at and failed at before considering separating a Family? Or is the First Step? A Gym Membership might be nice? YMCA type Kid's program? Swimming? Summer Camp?

As the article didn't say, and as I can't recall anything else being trialed, I would assume that this is the first approach.
A gym membership is all well and good - but is the parent going to drive their child there, and is the child going to want to attend?

What parents need to do is stop feeding their kids junk and making them play outside, instead of sitting inside, glued to the TV screen.

Thoughts?

No.....

Anyone ever hear of something called a metabolism??? some people have slow metabolisms and others have higher metabolisms.....

Some individuals could have a perfectly normal diet and be fat, and others (such as myself) could eat 50 cheeseburgers a day and not gain a pound...

I suppose my point is that in some cases kids are obese - not because they have a bad diet - but because they have a faulty metabolism.

Besides, in what universe are slightly overweight people "unhealthy" in the first place??

IMO, even if the parents are feeding their kids 5 Big Macs for lunch the state should have no say in what a parent can feed their child.....

Those who are obsessed with weight to the point of attempting to steal kids from their parents are nothing but Nazi's.....

Forum List

Back