Should New Orleans be rebuilt???

Working Man

Aug 22, 2004
I am not for throwing public tax dollar away for the sake of "feel good" politics. I don't believe in the current public education system, foreign aid, etc. etc.

So, the predicament is such, We know that parts of New Orleans are below sea level. And we have this global warming thing going on which seems to be causing issues with hurricanes, etc... Can we, with technology at hand, rebuild New Orleans in such a way that we can be certain it will not get destroyed again in the future??? I understand that certain areas of the levy system did not perform as designed due to construction techniques. What we design as sufficient today, may not be adequate for 20 years from now, , maybe not even five years from now.... Yet, once the money is spent, with the economy in the shape that it is, should we take the risk, roll the dice, and commit to such a large expensive project?

Those parts of New Orleans, that were under water, and have yet to see work start, and ALL of Ward 9, should be given back to mother nature.

Anything else is just stupid, and a waste of money, private or otherwise.

There are parts of New Orleans, that bring in lots of money, and add to the economy of the United States, and supply`s employment for many, that should, and by and large have been rebuilt.

Let`s keep it simple. :thup:

trobinett said:
Those parts of New Orleans, that were under water, and have yet to see work start, and ALL of Ward 9, should be given back to mother nature.

There are parts of New Orleans, that bring in lots of money, and add to the economy of the United States, and supply`s employment for many, that should, and by and large have been rebuilt.

Now, by privatize, I did mean that we should just leave it up to private firms to see what they think is worth investing in. If they think they can make money off the underwater areas, let them buy up the land and the levies protecting them. You can bet that private firms will be more interested in protecting their investment instead of squandering funds like the government did.

Hobbit said:
Now, by privatize, I did mean that we should just leave it up to private firms to see what they think is worth investing in. If they think they can make money off the underwater areas, let them buy up the land and the levies protecting them. You can bet that private firms will be more interested in protecting their investment instead of squandering funds like the government did.

Personally I agree. But there should be some help from the local govt. to raise money for the levees. Business could really thrive down there with the cheap real estate. If things were done right New Orleans could be much better than it was. I don't have much confidence in the govt. down here. They'll fuck it up any way they can.

Mayor Nagin has a solution:

yesterday I read that he gave a MLK speech and said he wanted the city to be a chocolate city. :afro:

Yurt said:
Mayor Nagin has a solution:

yesterday I read that he gave a MLK speech and said he wanted the city to be a chocolate city. :afro:

That's because he wants to get back into office and he knows it's his only chance. The last thing that place needs to be is a chocolate city again. Better that they are scattered around the country than concentrated in one city.

I know another place that should be rebuilt with govt funds. My house. :)

By no stretch of the imagination should New Orleans be rebuilt at the present time. The powers to be should go in and implode the tall buildings, burst a few levies, wait a few years, then build on the high ground. That would give the Mississippi river a chance to deposit the much needed silt where it is needed and maybe save some of the so called wet lands further downstream.

Working Man said:
I am not for throwing public tax dollar away for the sake of "feel good" politics. I don't believe in the current public education system, foreign aid, etc. etc.

So, the predicament is such, We know that parts of New Orleans are below sea level. And we have this global warming thing going on which seems to be causing issues with hurricanes, etc... Can we, with technology at hand, rebuild New Orleans in such a way that we can be certain it will not get destroyed again in the future???

We cannot be certain that any city will not be destroyed in the future.

Therefore, we should not rebuild any American cities.

Only Iraqi cities.

Because they are more important than us.

trobinett said:

We should never rebuild an are where poor people lived. Poor people suck.

Merlin said:
By no stretch of the imagination should New Orleans be rebuilt at the present time. The powers to be should go in and implode the tall buildings, burst a few levies, wait a few years, then build on the high ground. That would give the Mississippi river a chance to deposit the much needed silt where it is needed and maybe save some of the so called wet lands further downstream.

Hey Merlin, how bout you go fuck yourself? Perhaps use a product that was made with materials shipped through the port of New Orleans, the 4th largest port city in the world?

Is it necessary to rebuild the entire town in order to have the port to previous capacity?

After Hurricane Katrina destroyed about one-third of the Port of New Orleans, the port's chief executive turned an offhand remark into a challenge to restart a vital part of the city's storm-ravaged economy.

"It all came out as kind of a joke when someone told me, 'You won't have a ship in this port for six months,"' the port chief, Gary LaGrange, recalled. "My response, with a lot of bravado, was, 'We'll be back at 70 percent within six months."'

So far, so good.

The port, a major entry point for imported steel, natural rubber and coffee, received its first post-storm ship Sept. 12, two weeks after Katrina. Just over three months later, the port is running at about half capacity, LaGrange said in an interview. Before Katrina hit on Aug. 29, the port was getting 36 to 40 ship calls a week. Now the count is 18 to 20.

By March or April, the goal is to hit 70 percent of the pre-Katrina calls.

But many hurdles remain: finding enough truck drivers to haul and deliver containerized cargo, and enough longshoremen to handle bulk loads; getting cruise ships that handled 700,000 passengers annually back on schedule; and keeping finances in line with diminished business.

In 2003, New Orleans ranked fifth among U.S. ports in tons of cargo handled, and 12th in total foreign trade, according to the latest figures available from the American Association of Port Authorities.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/01/03/business/port.php
http://www.aapa-ports.org/industryinfo/statistics.htm

SpidermanTuba said:
Hey Merlin, how bout you go fuck yourself? Perhaps use a product that was made with materials shipped through the port of New Orleans, the 4th largest port city in the world?

You know Spiderhead, New Orleans's port could easily be replaced immediately with the combination of Baton Rouge's Mississippi connection and the Port of Houston's Gulf Connection. Letting the Mississippi divert down the Atchafalaya and the Whiskey Bay pilot channel would not only save New Orleans from an eventual flood it would make economic sense. Anything coming from the Gulf has a 60+ mile cruise from the south pass to NO. They have to get a pilot that boards in Pilot Town or Venice to bring each ship into NO. Anything coming down the Mississippi won't have to go the extra winding miles(70?) to New Orleans. It can be downloaded in BR and trucks or railis readily available. Sentimental connections are the only thing New Orleans has going for it.

SpidermanTuba said:
For that idiotic remark, we should implode the port first. We can surly do without the port of New Orleans a few years and save a few billion dollars doing it.

SpidermanTuba said:
How do you privatize a levy system?

You build it with money that comes from private companies, not the government. I realize you were thrilled to have all thousands of poor blacks all living in a few dangerous areas of New Orleans and would like for the government to build another one for them but it aint gonna happen. If that area has millions poured into it and undergoes vast reconstuction it will be taken over by entrepeneurs just like any other reconstructed slum in the US has.

Actually, I`ve seen some good idea`s pop up on this thread, on how best to handle the rebuilding in New Orleans.

Throwing money at something, tax money in particular, never seems to accomplish what is hoped for.

With the proven corruption in NO, boat loads of tax money ISN`T the answer.

Hobbit`s suggestion, early on, of private money seems to be the way this rebuilding effort needs to be handled.

With the most recent remarks by the mayor of NO, it REALLY makes the most sense.

As a side bar, seems that Spiderman, and the mayor of New Orleans BOTH missed taking their med`s. :D

trobinett said:
Actually, I`ve seen some good idea`s pop up on this thread, on how best to handle the rebuilding in New Orleans.

Throwing money at something, tax money in particular, never seems to accomplish what is hoped for.

With the proven corruption in NO, boat loads of tax money ISN`T the answer.

Hobbit`s suggestion, early on, of private money seems to be the way this rebuilding effort needs to be handled.

With the most recent remarks by the mayor of NO, it REALLY makes the most sense.

As a side bar, seems that Spiderman, and the mayor of New Orleans BOTH missed taking their med`s. :D

Both of them aren't on meds. They are quite serious about what they say.

That is what is really sad.

Forum List

Back