Should national election day be moved to the weekend or made a holiday?

Should national election day be moved ?

• It should stay where its at

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • Should be moved to a weekend

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Should stay where its at but be made into a national holiday.

Votes: 10 35.7%

• Total voters
Should national election day be moved to the weekend?

Poll pending....

explain answer.

MY response:

YES. Tuesday as national voting day is way out dated. Sorry but how many of you live on farms? How many of you that do live on farms require more than a day to get to the nearest voting booth?

Voting day should obviously be on a Saturday - or at least made a national holiday.
The GOP have been blocking both options for years. They know most Dems have jobs that conflict with voting and more republicans are lazy slackers, just look at the size of their leader's audience in the middle of the work day. Their MessiahRushie claims at times to have more than 40 million listeners only 20% of whom he says are Libs. That's a lot of "non-working eaters" as he likes to call them, who have no conflict between voting and a job.

As long as the GOP can filibuster, voting will never be a national holiday or get moved to the weekend.

Pure Horse shit. You can not be Penalized for Missing work to Vote, and Voting Places are Usually Open 12 hours out of the Day.

You guys come up with the Craziest fucking hose shit.

Poll pending....

explain answer.

MY response:

YES. Tuesday as national voting day is way out dated. Sorry but how many of you live on farms? How many of you that do live on farms require more than a day to get to the nearest voting booth?

Voting day should obviously be on a Saturday - or at least made a national holiday.

It doesn't take a day to get from anywhere to a voting booth.

And farmers don't have days off.

Great. So no need to schedule voting day around the schedule of farmers. I'm glad we're agree.

only liberals would demand a day off to take 10 minutes to vote.
10 minutes?

It took 8 hours at the Xavier University of Louisiana polling precint in 2004. That's not 10 minutes. Its 480 minutes.

Last edited:
You can not be Penalized for Missing work to Vote,
What fantasy land you live in? That's like saying "You can't be murdered". Yes, there are laws against it - but it still happens!

Especially if you live in a so-called "right to work" state.

Wo do you think the judge will believe? The wage employee, who claims he was fired for taking time off work to vote - or the boss (who donates to his campaign fund) who says that he fired you for being lazy and insubordinate?

"right to work" means the boss has the "right to fire" you for just about ANYTHING - this means that it makes it all the more easier to fire you for the few things he's not allowed to fire you for.

DUH

Real world.

welcome to it!

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with Tuesday being election day.

But if it OK to have a ONE DAY election day it should be OK to have a ONE DAY primary day. All states having primaries/caucuses on the same day, let's say the first Tuesday in August.

That would leave three months till election and plenty of time for a convention.

Imagine all the money that could be saved! Imagine all the sanity that could be preserved!

Imagine Rick Perry being the Republican nominee because no one finds out how stupid he is until after the primary is over.

The current system of virtually four years of electioneering and interminable primary/caucus season failed to reveal how unqualified and unprepared Obama is.

No it didn't, I knew he was unqualified. What it revealed is that Democrats are idiots. :eusa_whistle:

Wow, talk about drawing long bows. What a load of shit...so having it during the week helps those who are doing long shifts or can't get to the polls? In Aus and NZ is it on a Sat...much bigger turn out....having it during the working week is just stupid. Mind you, a huge chunk of your political system is stupid...so there ya go....:cool:

Did I say it helps? What I said is that his arguments for having it on the weekend are bullshit. Every shift job I ever worked required me to work rotating weekends, so moving it to a weekend wouldn't make a bit of difference to that portion of the population. New Zealand and Australia both have compulsory voting, my guess is that contributes to the larger turnout more than it being on Saturday, but I am willing to watch you make a fool out of yourself by trying to prove me wrong.

Or did you think I was so stupid I didn't know that little fact?

Um, well I dunno. Are you calling yourself stupid if you are wrong? Aust has compulsory voting, NZ does not. So you are right and wrong...

That aside, the vast majority of people don't work on Sat or Sun, of those that work on Sat, quite a few do half days....

Gee, I ain't perfect, who'da think?

Still waiting for you to prove that the voter turnout in Australia has nothing to do with voting being compulsory.

How can it not? People's first priority is putting food on the table and earning a living. You think somebody who lives in a right to work state, gets a window of opportunity to either have to work, or vote, he'll not take the option that keeps his job? Sure people work on a Sat, but most don't. Makes total sense....

Because, in the US, we put polling places in office buildings, schools, neighborhood garages, fire stations, shopping malls, and any place else people can think of to make it convenient to vote.

So, again, how does it lower voter turnout?

So do we. Simple, more people work during the week....

And they party on weekends. The day of the week does not affect voter turnout, what affects voter turnout is how much people care about voting.

Yes, of course elections should be moved to the weekend; but as correctly noted, the right would fight such a move aggressively.

The Left would never do that, would they?

I know, from personal experience of a county that had no Affidavits for those without photo ID, in the 2000 election, and a different county that did not have ENOUGH absentee ballots. Jeb! Bush made voting as difficult as possible; as I have written several times, I had to cast a "provisional" ballot in 2002 because addresses didn't match exactly.

You can pretend forever but the end result of the voting rights restrictions is keeping poor, and disabled voters, out of the process. As for "too stupid", literacy tests were struck down in the 1960's, thank God.

Sure he did.

Would you like a list of all the Republican voters who are pissed that the Democrats in Washington and Oregon switched to all mail ballots because it took away the chance to go down to the church and meet their friends? Get your fracking head out of your ass.

Election day isn't really election day anymore ... there is early voting everywhere and anyone can file for an absentee ballot these days. Voting has never been easier.

If I'm not mistaken, in most states, to legally vote absentee you have to actually be planning to be absent from your voting precinct that day.

You are mistaken, 32 states and DC allow early voting, and 27 states and DC allow no excuse absentee voting.

True Lewe, but I still think one day should be a national holiday; I know some people who say they could not vote due to their work schedules.

Then they are either to stupid to vote, to lazy to vote or LYING. I don't know a single State that does not allow early voting or absentee ballots. Since they are your friends one would assume they are lefties which means the third choice is probably the correct one.

Sorry but over a dozen states don't have no-excuse early voting.

Its amusing how you accuse people you don't even know of lying.

Most of the states that insist on an excuse for absentee voting and do not allow early voting are traditionally Democratic. Maybe your problem is you are a lying sack of shit because it does not look to me like the Republicans are the ones that are blocking anything.

Poll pending....

explain answer.

MY response:

Why change it? Do you have something against farmers voting in elections? Do you think more people will show up if it is a weekend? People travel on weekends, they aren't going to not travel simply because there is an election.

Making it a holiday is even dumber than moving it to a weekend. Sotres would start having election day sales and people would go shopping instead.

It might not suit your enlightened point of view, but it fracking works, so leave it the frack alone.

Primarily because our schedule as a nation has changed. Our forefathers made it Tuesday so it would be more convenient for them to make it to the voting booth. I'm sure they would laugh at the notion that people 200 years in the future would want it to stay on Tuesday so as to continue to make it convenient for the forefathers to get to the voting booth.

And I've got nothing against farmers. What have you got against people who work 9-5 M-F?

BTW, you're a grouchy old man.

So what? Should we stop stopping using stop signs because cars are faster and the world is different than when they were first made? If you want to change something you have to come up with a reason other than "I am a whiny bitch who is smarter than my parents because they are old."

GOP would never allow this because low voter turnout usually means more GOP victories.

How does the election being on Tuesday lower turnout?

For every single working person who works on Tuesdays, election day on a Tuesday either a) lowers turnout or b) lowers the efficiency of the economy.

But hey, we gotta make sure Ben Franklin and Thomas Jefferson have plenty of time to travel into town to vote, so we should keep it on Tuesday. Even if we have to put real life managers today in the position of choosing between sacrificing the bottom line and giving their employees time off to vote.

Oh, and BTW - don't forget to always carry a coin with you when you drive your horseless buggy. If you come upon another traveller, you'll need to flip to decide which has to pull over to make way for the other. We could have invented the two lane highway but the coin flip system is just fine so no need to change it.

Again, how does it do that? Simply stating that it does without actually providing any evidence is proof that you are the stupid one in this discussion despite your attempt to portray me as a Luddite.

Why change it? Do you have something against farmers voting in elections? Do you think more people will show up if it is a weekend? People travel on weekends, they aren't going to not travel simply because there is an election.

Making it a holiday is even dumber than moving it to a weekend. Sotres would start having election day sales and people would go shopping instead.

It might not suit your enlightened point of view, but it fracking works, so leave it the frack alone.

Primarily because our schedule as a nation has changed. Our forefathers made it Tuesday so it would be more convenient for them to make it to the voting booth. I'm sure they would laugh at the notion that people 200 years in the future would want it to stay on Tuesday so as to continue to make it convenient for the forefathers to get to the voting booth.

And I've got nothing against farmers. What have you got against people who work 9-5 M-F?

So what? Should we stop stopping using stop signs because cars are faster and the world is different than when they were first made?
Of course not. By your logic, we should have never started to us traffic lights, there was nothing wrong with stop signs!

If you want to change something you have to come up with a reason other than "I am a whiny bitch who is smarter than my parents because they are old."

I never said that.

If you want to debate me you'll have to do something other than setting up straw men through dishonesty.

Then they are either to stupid to vote, to lazy to vote or LYING. I don't know a single State that does not allow early voting or absentee ballots. Since they are your friends one would assume they are lefties which means the third choice is probably the correct one.

Most of the states that insist on an excuse for absentee voting and do not allow early voting are traditionally Democratic. Maybe your problem is you are a lying sack of shit because it does not look to me like the Republicans are the ones that are blocking anything.

I never said the Republicans were blocking anything.

THere you go again mischaracterizing what I said.

How does the election being on Tuesday lower turnout?

For every single working person who works on Tuesdays, election day on a Tuesday either a) lowers turnout or b) lowers the efficiency of the economy.

But hey, we gotta make sure Ben Franklin and Thomas Jefferson have plenty of time to travel into town to vote, so we should keep it on Tuesday. Even if we have to put real life managers today in the position of choosing between sacrificing the bottom line and giving their employees time off to vote.

Oh, and BTW - don't forget to always carry a coin with you when you drive your horseless buggy. If you come upon another traveller, you'll need to flip to decide which has to pull over to make way for the other. We could have invented the two lane highway but the coin flip system is just fine so no need to change it.

Again, how does it do that? Simply stating that it does without actually providing any evidence is proof that you are the stupid one in this discussion despite your attempt to portray me as a Luddite.

Sorry but do you need me to explain to you how one will make or sell less widgets during time off from work than they will make during time at work?

Why was it OK for our forefathers to make Tuesday the voting day out of convenience but not for us? We have to stick to the day that was most convenient to people 150 years ago - because -- why? So people 150 years ago can get to the voting booth to vote?

Why do you favor allowing people to vote by mail or early without excuse for absence over simply moving the day? Is that what the forefathers did?

Last edited:

So what? Should we stop stopping using stop signs because cars are faster and the world is different than when they were first made?
Of course not. By your logic, we should have never started to us traffic lights, there was nothing wrong with stop signs!

If you want to change something you have to come up with a reason other than "I am a whiny bitch who is smarter than my parents because they are old."
I never said that.

If you want to debate me you'll have to do something other than setting up straw men through dishonesty.

Says the man who just accused me of not wanting stop lights.

I want a reason to change other than it is old.

I never said the Republicans were blocking anything.

THere you go again mischaracterizing what I said.

What I actually did was confuse you with other posters. My apologies, I usually don't do that.

Sorry but do you need me to explain to you how one will make or sell less widgets during time off from work than they will make during time at work?

Why was it OK for our forefathers to make Tuesday the voting day out of convenience but not for us? We have to stick to the day that was most convenient to people 150 years ago - because -- why? So people 150 years ago can get to the voting booth to vote?

Why do you favor allowing people to vote by mail or early without excuse for absence over simply moving the day? Is that what the forefathers did?

Polls are open at least 12 hours, most people only work 8. Want to try again at offering actual evidence, or are you going to keep resorting to making things up?

Any day the election is held is going to inconvenience someone.

Last edited:

I never said that.

I didn't say you didn't want stop lights.

I said - by your logic - we shouldn't need them. Is there anything wrong with stop signs?

Polls are open at least 12 hours, most people only work 8.

The 12 hour shift is extremely common. Especially in industrial settings. Hospitals, too.

Want to try again at offering actual evidence, or are you going to keep resorting to making things up?
Evidence of what? That Saturday would be a more convenient day for most Americans to vote than Tuesday?

Any day the election is held is going to inconvenience someone.

I'm sorry but why shouldn't we hold our elections on the day most convenient for us? The people in 1845 who made election day Tueday chose Tuesday because it was the most convenient day for most of the people - why can't we choose the day most convenient to us? Is the answer "just because" ? That's BRILLIANT!

Last edited:

I never said that.

I didn't say you didn't want stop lights.

I said - by your logic - we shouldn't need them. Is there anything wrong with stop signs?

My logic is simple, it if works we should leave it alone unless we actually find something better. You have provided no evidence that it is better.

Ever see a stop sign on a really busy intersection? Once you do you will never ask why we need stoplights again.

Forum List

Back