Should military service be a pre-req for the Presidency?

elvis

Rookie
Sep 15, 2008
I was thinking about this the other day. The President is head of the military and yet some presidents have never served.

• Banned
No, the Constitutional requirements in place have served us well for over 200 years. I don't want to change the natural born requirement either.

I don't want to change the natural born req or the age req. well I take that back, how old is Obama? increase it to 50.

Agreed.

Our volunteer military is one of the greatest attributes this nation has.

• Banned
Agreed.

Our volunteer military is one of the greatest attributes this nation has.

i don't necessarily agree with a draft. just wondering if the prez should have military experience, given that he's in charge of it.

Well, then he would also have to have business experience, social experience, environmental experience...the list goes on. I do think he or she should have a minimum of at least 6 years of elected office experience.

Well, then he would also have to have business experience, social experience, environmental experience...the list goes on. I do think he or she should have a minimum of at least 6 years of elected office experience.

Does 20 years as a member of a racist church count?

Does 20 years as a member of a racist church count?

I can only imagine if it were found out that McCain spent more than an hour with David Duke. All hell would have broken loose.

I was thinking about this the other day. The President is head of the military and yet some presidents have never served.

NO, there should be no such qualifier. Some of the Best Presidents never actually served or were just in the militia. Further such a requirement would require an amendment to the Constitution and that just isn't gonna happen.

No, the Constitutional requirements in place have served us well for over 200 years. I don't want to change the natural born requirement either.

Agreed, besides, it's Obama's job to change the constitution, not ours......:)

Yes military service should be a prerequisit for President. No one should be allowed to be Commander In Cheif if they haven't served. You should EARN that job.

Agreed, besides, it's Obama's job to change the constitution, not ours......:)

LOL!!!!

:clap2:

Every one male and female should serve some time in the military. (or no one should)
This should also include people with disabilities,they can punch away on blogs ,they can sit in a office for the military.
There are far to many in todays society that take what every military person has and is still doing for granted. I served one year in Vietnam and a total of three years in the Army-and you know how little that was appreciated (hate when people lack appreciation for what they get without there own efforts). The vast majority of people in the USA do not deserve to have our military loose lives so they can have thingsssssss. You never appreciate what you get for free,as today's politics shows.. Hate that we are loosing lives in foreign countries,should only loose them on our soil.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
Most definitely!

I would like to see a draft brought back that splits up the weight of military service across all spectrums of our society.

It will never happen under the current group of politicians.

Forum List

Back