Should Men Have the Right to Live in the Wildnerness?

Legalize Wilderness Survival in National Forests?

• Absolutely! Under any and all circumstances, man has the right to live where he wants.

• Absolutely not! Men need politicians to decide what's best for them.

• I think it should be allowed under very strict & limited conditions.

• It would be okay if only a predeterminded amount of humans occupied the land.

• Other response.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I just finished watching a wilderness show where a man and wife spent almost a year living in the Idaho wilderness. They were trekking through a huge National Forest in which homesteading has been completely outlawed (except for a sprinkling of back-woods homes that were "grandfathered in" prior to the law taking affect). I was thinking that I would like to live in a place like that but will never have the opportunity because it's "against the law."

What do you think about the idea of allowing homesteading in such places as long as no roads, electricity, plumbing, shopping centers, gas stations, or any other reflections of "civilization" are allowed? What if a person just wants to live off of the land and take what he needs to survive without the luxuries of urban sprawl?

What's RIGHT with that or what's WRONG with that?

The thought of making it illegal makes my blood boil!!!!

Even buying your own land, this would be next to impossible. You still have to have an income in order to pay taxes on the land.

As for public lands being "homesteaded", there would be no way to control the number of people who used the land. Yes, there are not going to be huge numbers of people trying to get away from it all. But the numbers could be enough to do harm to the wilderness. That doesn't take as much as you think.

Plus, for every actual "mountain man" who was living off the land, there would be dozens who would claim to want to do it just to gain access for a few months. You would have to do away with hunting seasons, limits ect. That would be very bad for the wilds.

Even buying your own land, this would be next to impossible. You still have to have an income in order to pay taxes on the land.

As for public lands being "homesteaded", there would be no way to control the number of people who used the land. Yes, there are not going to be huge numbers of people trying to get away from it all. But the numbers could be enough to do harm to the wilderness. That doesn't take as much as you think.

Plus, for every actual "mountain man" who was living off the land, there would be dozens who would claim to want to do it just to gain access for a few months. You would have to do away with hunting seasons, limits ect. That would be very bad for the wilds.

There is a solution to the the taxes.
From what I understand you can give the tax man the property when you die in lieu of taxes.

I just finished watching a wilderness show where a man and wife spent almost a year living in the Idaho wilderness. They were trekking through a huge National Forest in which homesteading has been completely outlawed (except for a sprinkling of back-woods homes that were "grandfathered in" prior to the law taking affect). I was thinking that I would like to live in a place like that but will never have the opportunity because it's "against the law."

What do you think about the idea of allowing homesteading in such places as long as no roads, electricity, plumbing, shopping centers, gas stations, or any other reflections of "civilization" are allowed? What if a person just wants to live off of the land and take what he needs to survive without the luxuries of urban sprawl?

The last of October of this year, or the first of November, I plan on camping in the woods for vacation. We were supposed to get 10 days of vacation this year, due to three years service with the new contracted company. Well, as I have been told, the company rescinded the policy company wide. We still only get one week of( 40 hours ) vacation.

Cheated and screwed over again....but some people in my department still get to take as much time as they want off YEAR ROUND. I am almost positive that if the tables were turned around.....that the people whom instituted that policy, and get more than one week vacation, would be just as discontented.

Being done wrong and messed over, cheated and stabbed in the back. And no one in lower or midlevel leadership will standup and fight for the subordinates, for the subordinates benefits, pay and vacation.

Shadow 355

The last of October of this year, or the first of November, I plan on camping in the woods for vacation. A WELL DESERVED BREAK. My department was supposed to get 10 days of vacation this year, due to three years ofservice with the new contracted company. Well, as I have been told by my foreman, the company rescinded the ( vacation ) policy company wide. We still only get one week of( 40 hours ) vacation.

So, for a company that has been in business since 2003, does that mean that the people that has been with the company for four - five or six years...that all their vacation is null and void? Does that mean that those whom have been with the company since its inception...the vacation that they have accrued...the many weeks of time off....is null and void, FOR EVERYONE company wide? That is very hard for me to believe. I am thinking it is just for our site only, but I might be wrong.

Cheated and screwed over again....but some people in my department still get to take as much time as they want off YEAR ROUND. I am almost positive that if the tables were turned around.....that the people whom instituted that policy, and get more than one week vacation, would be just as discontented.

Being done wrong and messed over, cheated and stabbed in the back. And no one in lower or midlevel leadership will standup and fight for the subordinates, for the subordinates benefits, pay and vacation.

Shadow 355

Dispersed Camping
"All National Forest lands are open to camping unless otherwise posted. The advantages to this type of camping are many: peace, solitude, and adventure. There are, however, a few 'drawbacks'. You'll need to have a fire permit, bring your own water or purify water from lakes, streams, or springs. Be sure to make your camp at least 100 feet from all water sources. Since there are no toilet facilities, please dig a hole at least six inches deep for disposal of your human waste."

In California you're supposed to get a free wilderness permit to enter designated wilderness areas. In Oregon they didn't have any wilderness permitting system, last time I backpacked there.

You're free to camp in the National Forest, unless otherwise posted. Conceivably, you actually could live in the wild legally. You already have that right.

I was in the Inyo National Forest last week. They had a "no fires" posting, except in campgrounds within the established campfire rings. Perfectly reasonable. I stayed in two of those campgrounds which only had donation boxes for payment. The maximum stay was 14 days, but you can move from one campground to the other and reset your 14 days. In fact there was an 88 year old guy in a '70s motor-home doing just that. I gave him some food and a beer.

I think it would be great for about a month...by then I should have a fair idea of what it would be like should the SHTF.
I'd miss the internet & my audio books...I don't think I'd last too long without a couple of really good solar chargers.
Most of us are spoiled to modern gadgets, but 50 years of my life included hunting, fishing, tenting...camping out in general.
Think I'll just stay home and tough it out. ;o)

It would be nice if living in the wilderlines were still an option. But humans have already crowded out every animal from the wilderliness , so the problem is academic.

Forum List

Back