Should man rule over women for women’s own good?

Should man rule over women for women’s own good?

I suspect most Republicans say "yes".

I've always liked this reasoning
:cool:

So, what's the deal with the wife and the rib? To find the answer, let's take a look at the make-up and function of the rib. The rib is:

1. located on the man's side
  2. delicate, yet strong at the same time
  3. covers the two most vital organs of man:
  • his heart
  • his lungs
Now, with what we know for certain about our awesome and purposeful God and with what we know about the make up and function of the rib, we can see clearly why God used the rib out of the man to form the wife.

God used the rib to show both the man and the woman that the woman was made to be by the man's side. To walk alongside him, to bless, support and protect him, to be the closest thing to his heart. God made the woman delicate in nature (that's why we get our feelings hurt more easily than men and even get physically injured more easily than men). But we are also strong. We are stubborn (sometimes in a good way and sometimes bad). Our strength gives us the ability to fight for our families and all that we believe in. And last but not least, we protect the two most vital organs of man, his heart and lungs. The heart pumps the very life-blood of the man throughout his entire body and the lungs give the man the ability to have breath. Without these two organs protected and functioning well, it is impossible for a man to function at his optimum and may even cause his death.
My Second Love: A Proverbs 31 Study: The Wife and The Rib

Prov 31:10-31
The Wife of Noble Character
10c A wife of noble character who can find?
She is worth far more than rubies.
11Her husband has full confidence in her
and lacks nothing of value.
12She brings him good, not harm,
all the days of her life.
13She selects wool and flax
and works with eager hands.
14She is like the merchant ships,
bringing her food from afar.
15She gets up while it is still dark;
she provides food for her family
and portions for her servant girls.
16She considers a field and buys it;
out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.
17She sets about her work vigorously;
her arms are strong for her tasks.
18She sees that her trading is profitable,
and her lamp does not go out at night.
19In her hand she holds the distaff
and grasps the spindle with her fingers.
20She opens her arms to the poor
and extends her hands to the needy.
21When it snows, she has no fear for her household;
for all of them are clothed in scarlet.
22She makes coverings for her bed;
she is clothed in fine linen and purple.
23Her husband is respected at the city gate,
where he takes his seat among the elders of the land.
24She makes linen garments and sells them,
and supplies the merchants with sashes.
25She is clothed with strength and dignity;
she can laugh at the days to come.
26She speaks with wisdom,
and faithful instruction is on her tongue.
27She watches over the affairs of her household
and does not eat the bread of idleness.
28Her children arise and call her blessed;
her husband also, and he praises her:
29“Many women do noble things,
but you surpass them all.”
30Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.
31Give her the reward she has earned,
and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.

I don't see anything in there that shows that women are thought of as second class citizens.

I tend to believe George Carlin when he said..........

"Here's all you have to know about men and women - women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid".

Lol!!!

Eh. Women are not allowed to be great and preach.

You are good at saying how great to women men should be as they rule over them.

Regards
DL

I know many great women. I've heard many women preach. Both with words and their overwhelming examples.

I don't know what you are trying to say that I am good at saying since your sentence didnt make much sense. But I can tell you want I am saying is that you don't understand what God means by rule. The quotes I just provided show that God's leaders are those that serve others. The scriptures you are citing, in reality, are telling men to serve their wives.

Women are great in the bible.
Miriam lead the Jews into Israel.
Christ was closest to women, and appeared first to them when he was resurrected
The bible is full of the stories of wonderful, strong, amazing women.
Naomi, Ruth, Sara...Samuel's mother...all amazing stories, and it is obvious that women are admired and treasured in the bible.

No, they aren't supposed to preach, we have different roles in the church. Big whoop.
Yet, Joan of Arc did, plus she lead troops into battle.

Sojourner Truth's "Ain't I a Woman" speech truly changed people's hearts for the better.

Benazir Bhutto declared her vision of "equality and partnership" to women in China in my lifetime, and had an impact on a country that doesn't impact much from anyone outside its own borders.

The comfort emanating from the heart of a Presbyterian woman pastor at my grandmother's funeral was no different from any man pastor's.

I think the creation story mentioned by Intense above deserves a second read. Just sayin'. :eusa_whistle:

Those 2 verses in do not address or back up your stance on this issue. :cool:

man in 1:27 is a generic term referring to both male/female.
I agree with that.

But the verses do not address the OP's question.

Yeah they do. There is God, and there is us. There is what God does in His Name, and there is what Man both Professes and does in His Name, which is not always sanctioned. Still, it is a matter of Faith and Conscience. Every Tangent, every miss step, every false claim, has it's price. Every Body, Every Person, a Vessel, a Temple of the Holy Ghost, Male and Female. Consider that there is no single step that is not accounted for. ;) If there is one true source of Impartial Righteous Judgement, it is way beyond the limits and tangents we create. Matters of Conscience are between Each and Every Individual, and Our Maker, Male and Female Alike. Salvation is a matter of Conscience. There is nothing more significant.

Women are great in the bible.
Miriam lead the Jews into Israel.
Christ was closest to women, and appeared first to them when he was resurrected
The bible is full of the stories of wonderful, strong, amazing women.
Naomi, Ruth, Sara...Samuel's mother...all amazing stories, and it is obvious that women are admired and treasured in the bible.

No, they aren't supposed to preach, we have different roles in the church. Big whoop.
Yet, Joan of Arc did, plus she lead troops into battle.

Sojourner Truth's "Ain't I a Woman" speech truly changed people's hearts for the better.

Benazir Bhutto declared her vision of "equality and partnership" to women in China in my lifetime, and had an impact on a country that doesn't impact much from anyone outside its own borders.

The comfort emanating from the heart of a Presbyterian woman pastor at my grandmother's funeral was no different from any man pastor's.

I think the creation story mentioned by Intense above deserves a second read. Just sayin'. :eusa_whistle:
I'm not saying that women don't preach and lead...they do.
But as far as having formal pastorship within the church, Paul said those particular positions were for men.

But I don't think that means that absolutely there should never be female pastors. I had a dear friend who was a female, Methodist pastor. She was absolutely called.

Churches that have women pastors leading a congregation.

Have subverted Biblical teaching and are an abomination.

I remember hearing people claim that God showed his anger at a woman preacher when the tornado destroyed the Goshen Methodist church on Palm Sunday in 1994.

Now those people are abominations.

I remember hearing people claim that God showed his anger at a woman preacher when the tornado destroyed the Goshen Methodist church on Palm Sunday in 1994.
How do you know that God didn't send the tornado to destroy the church for violating Biblical teaching and allowing a woman pastor? :cool:

How do you know that God didn't send the tornado to destroy the church for violating Biblical teaching and allowing a woman pastor? :cool:

If a god were so petty as to create storms that killed 22 people (including the 4 year old daughter of the woman who had dedicated her life to his service), seriously injured hundreds, and destroyed thousands of home, just because a woman was leading a congregation, then I would not worship him.

I have no doubt that much of the Bible is the result of divine inspiration. But I am equally certain that parts, like this bit about women not preaching, are more about consolidating the power in the hands of those who wrote this than it is about any word of God.

Are there any verses in the Bible written by a woman?

When was the last book written?

How much has the world changed since then?

I sometimes wonder about these threads. Using ancient beliefs to justify present day discriminations.

If a god were so petty as to create storms that killed 22 people (including the 4 year old daughter of the woman who had dedicated her life to his service), seriously injured hundreds, and destroyed thousands of home, just because a woman was leading a congregation, then I would not worship him.

In essence, you are judging God based on what "You" deem is correct. :cool:

In essence, you are judging God based on what "You" deem is correct. :cool:

In essence, I do not deem a god who would murder a 4 year old (and 19 others) because of the gender of their spiritual leader to be worthy of worship.

I also do not believe God sent those passages. I believe they were written by men, for men, to wield control.

I also do not believe God sent those passages. I believe they were written by men, for men, to wield control.
The Bible says that His ways and thoughts are higher than your ways and thoughts.

So in essence; he has a plan, but doesn't need your approval.

When you judge God in these situations like you just did.

You are basically saying you are smarter than Him when He doesn't meet your standards. :cool:

The Bible says that His ways and thoughts are higher than your ways and thoughts.

You are basically saying you are smarter than Him when He doesn't meet your standards. :cool:

No, I am saying that the intellect that was given to me allows me to see the difference between the spiritual words from a loving God, and the misogynistic control functions of the writing of men.

I have no doubt God has a plan. But to claim that he would kill 20 people to punish a church for having a female pastor is to make a bloodthirsty and petty god .

Are there any verses in the Bible written by a woman?

When was the last book written?

How much has the world changed since then?

I sometimes wonder about these threads. Using ancient beliefs to justify present day discriminations.

:lol: I think neither Principle nor Man's Nature has changed much, if at all, since then. There is nothing new under the Sun, only cycles. :)

Either that, or smarter than those that make claims in His Name, without Consent. I'm not saying that is where you are, I'm saying consider the source. Who was responsible for recording Scripture, and where were their Loyalties? Who did they serve? What were the Penalties for offending the Earthly Powers of the related time? We live in an imperfect world, few remained in Communion with God. We All screwed up in one way or another, even the Great Prophets. Check out Jeremiah Chapter 23. http://www.holybible.com/resources/KJV_DFND/index.php?Book=67&mode=4&BookTitle=Jeremiah&Chapter=23

Last edited:

Forum List

Back