Should Libertarians be against prisons?

Rav here you go lumping everyone into one label again.

Like every single libertarian has the same exact position on EVERYTHING.

The constitution allows for a justice system, and prison is a part of that.

The 8th amendment protects citizens from UNUSUAL punishment, which jailing would not be considered.

More often than not, you confuse a libertarian with an anarchist. A classical liberal, as I would prefer to think of myself as, is nothing close to an anarchist.
I agree with you. I think Ravi is trying to equate an anarchist with a Libertarian. Granted some libertarians are anarchist. But, as a whole, Ravi is wrong.

It should also be pointed out that not all anarchists would be against prisons either.

I don't have a problem with sending violent people to prison, a person doing a drug, gambling, prostitution or whatever to jail/prison is a real waste and assault on individual freedoms though,imho.
I can agree with that.

In reality this has the feel of an attempt to pigeon hole Libertarians in an anti-gun thread.
:lol: You all can't get over your preconceived notions. I am in no way anti-gun.

I said it has the feel of, not that it actually was. You can't get over your reading comprehension problem.
In reality your posts have the feeling of a pretense to balance while actually being anything but.

:lol: You all can't get over your preconceived notions. I am in no way anti-gun.

I said it has the feel of, not that it actually was. You can't get over your reading comprehension problem.
In reality your posts have the feeling of a pretense to balance while actually being anything but.

The classic pot meet kettle moment.
From you I'll take that as a compliment.
Have a nice day! :lol:

I don't have a problem with sending violent people to prison, a person doing a drug, gambling, prostitution or whatever to jail/prison is a real waste and assault on individual freedoms though,imho.
I can agree with that.

The fact that you can, makes you more of a libertarian than you might think.

That HAS to sting :lol:

I can agree with that.

The fact that you can, makes you more of a libertarian than you might think.

That HAS to sting :lol:
Not really. I consistently score half way between liberal and libertarian on that silly political compass test.

So why are you always ragging on libertarians then?

I don't even know of any on here who are anarchists, but you always call us out like we're supposed to hate all government.

Just like there's a zillion different kinds of liberals, there's a zillion different kind of libertarians too. To follow some kind of written standard is borderline robot if you ask me.

I mean shit, Rav, I've even been known to advocate food stamps around here if it's an appropriate situation like a single mother who's achieving a higher education.

And then of course there's the dreaded student loans :lol:. Which ARE private, btw, unless you default.

I realize prison can be a punishment, but don't they really serve to protect the rest of us from the bad guys?

It seems it would make more sense from a libertarian stand point to arm everyone and let them mete out punishment whenever they feel threatened.

It would save a lot of taxpayer money, as well.

That would probably be the "hardcore" libertarian ideal, but it seem impractical in today's society. You have to make some compromises.

I've never seen a libertarian, hardcore or otherwise, advocate getting rid of prisons so that prisoners can roam free forcing everyone else to arm and defend themselves.

Well, because such people don't exist in real life. My point was it's the "theoretical extreme." It's a place libs like to go when they are arguing against libertarians. Since Ravi was the one arguing the point, I figured that was the tactic.

You know the one, "you don't like roads? No schools? No services of any kind? They make libertarians into anarchists.....:lol: So my response was actually a little sarcastic.

That would probably be the "hardcore" libertarian ideal, but it seem impractical in today's society. You have to make some compromises.

I've never seen a libertarian, hardcore or otherwise, advocate getting rid of prisons so that prisoners can roam free forcing everyone else to arm and defend themselves.

Well, because such people don't exist in real life. My point was it's the "theoretical extreme." It's a place libs like to go when they are arguing against libertarians. Since Ravi was the one arguing the point, I figured that was the tactic.

You know the one, "you don't like roads? No schools? No services of any kind? They make libertarians into anarchists.....:lol: So my response was actually a little sarcastic.
:lol: I thought so...it's kind of like saying because you support welfare you are a communist.

:lol: I thought so...it's kind of like saying because you support welfare you are a communist.

I actually think it's other way 'round. It's like saying Dem's all want government ownership of the means of production and an iron-fisted central government.

See the difference? Libertarians don't want "no government" and Dems don't want totalitarianism. (probably ;) )

I realize prison can be a punishment, but don't they really serve to protect the rest of us from the bad guys?

It seems it would make more sense from a libertarian stand point to arm everyone and let them mete out punishment whenever they feel threatened.

It would save a lot of taxpayer money, as well.

Like old school america where you shot a theif, hung a murder, or deuled with an opponent.

I could live with that till I pissed someone off and they killed me for it ;).

Forum List

Back